Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 04:54 PM

26 posts, read 17,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1114 View Post
About a week ago, I went through a mutual break up with a guy I met online and unofficially dated for 4 months. We're both in our early 20's. Things ended because we both wanted different things. I wanted commitment and he wasn't ready for that. So we both parted ways. It was a mutual decision. Our dates felt platonic because we mostly hung out and kissed but we never went past that and never slept together. When we ended things, he told me he'd like to stay friends and would invite me out with his buddies sometimes. At the time, I told him I didn't want that. Now, I feel like I miss his companionship and I remember we had fun together before there was any expectation of a relationship. I'm now over the idea of dating him but I do want to stay friends and hang out with him every once in a while. Do you think it's okay to be friends with someone I dated considering there wasn't much intimacy involved? I was thinking of reaching out to him but idk if it's too soon.
The situation is as unique as you and your ex are. There's no fast rules on what's too soon. I believe it's where your mind is at as well as his.

I think it's cool especially if you have boundaries. Good people are good people, and it's nice you recognize it. I would caution about dating within his circle of friends, though. As long as you have some boundaries you can still have an enduring friendship. It doesn't have to be complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:55 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
It's up to you.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
I wanted to add that he and I met online so we don't have mutual friends. Therefore, would it be awkward to hang out one on one after the break up? I'm purely interested in his companionship at this point. I did have feelings for him but right now I think I'm ready to just carry on a platonic relationship.
My answer stands. I am still friends with a couple of guys I met online almost 10 years ago. One invited me to his wedding! The other is still an occasional FWB.

I guess it just depends on how you personally handle the friendships in your life. I am only friends with people I genuinely like and enjoy, and don't have any hidden motives with.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 7,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My answer stands. I am still friends with a couple of guys I met online almost 10 years ago. One invited me to his wedding! The other is still an occasional FWB.

I guess it just depends on how you personally handle the friendships in your life. I am only friends with people I genuinely like and enjoy, and don't have any hidden motives with.
Thank you! Do you think it's too soon for me to text him and initiate being friends? We broke up a week ago. I just don't want him to think I'm trying to win him back since he knows I was more invested than him in the relationship when we dated.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:05 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Thank you! Do you think it's too soon for me to text him and initiate being friends? We broke up a week ago. I just don't want him to think I'm trying to win him back since he knows I was more invested than him in the relationship when we dated.
If that was the case I would think you wanted me back so.......

But honestly there is only one way to find out

Good luck

Old 02-20-2016, 05:26 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
If you take a break for a few weeks/months you will probably feel more objective about a potential friendship. Right now you're feeling lonely and filling a void in your life.

It's fine to be friends with exes, but if you'd like to meet someone new, you should leave space in your life for that. Men who are looking for partners will be confused if they see you out with your ex and assume you aren't available.

Spend time with your female friends, instead.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Romantic feelings ususally don't vanish in one week. Do yourself a favor and give it a little more time, as ellie said. It's understandable that you miss his company, but that's a normal part of a breakup.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I stayed friends with some of the guys that I dated. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
This

It all depends on how was the relationship. But usually "no" is the answer.

With girls I really like, no I won´t be friends and a crying shoulder when the jerks left and I have to listen to every single piece of crap they did.

But with others, yes, friendship may be because even if sex was on the mix, we BOTH knew it was just a temporary thing.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
A week? LOL. No. Defintely not. A couple of months, maybe.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
I wanted to add that he and I met online so we don't have mutual friends. Therefore, would it be awkward to hang out one on one after the break up? I'm purely interested in his companionship at this point. I did have feelings for him but right now I think I'm ready to just carry on a platonic relationship.
If I were in your shoes, I would really try to become part of his circle of friends rather than one on one... because that's what friends do. My roommate and I became very close doing everything together one and one; cooked, laundry, hang out etc.. At some point, it did get awkward.... we were neither here or there. If I dated someone else, I was afraid to hurt her feelings. I did date someone else and subsequently, my roommate's feelings were hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships