Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times

Advertisements

So started dating this guy (I am bi guy myself). We have hit it off super well. I have had a hard time dating guys, but in regards to personality and being compatible we are freakishly similar. We had an amazing time on our first date and are having our second date soon. I really really like him and its mutual from him. We've been talking every day, all day long.

However there is something that concerns me. As much as I like him, and I think I might come off as a snob, I'm not sure how well he would be accepted in my family. And I worry about his ambition too.

I work in marketing and public relations, and have made a great career for myself. My family is all college educated, my sister is a lawyer with her own law firm, my parents both very successful execs, and we have about 4 doctors in our immediate family, and I have two family members getting their PHDs. And the people my family date tend to be from similar backgrounds.

This guy I am dating, is currently an electrician, very blue collar, even has a tattoo sleeve. I can see my family not so much being mean or unfriendly to him, but I am sure they would continuously try to convince me that based on his education, career path and so on, that I should strive for better. My family tends to have high standards.

I think as long as the person I date can be independent financially and make a comfortable living for themselves I don't care as much. I care more about how they treat me and how we can have a relationship. But sometimes I do worry about his lack of ambition. I am a very ambitious person, looking to move forward in my career, move up, build a family, and I even want to start my own company. He seems to want to coast in life, he's thinking of changing jobs and going from being an electrician to a commercial driver. So in that sense it worries me.

At the same time he does seem like he wants more out of life from an personal development perspective. He wants to travel more and he wants to learn more about different cultures, cities, etc., but he wants to take it easy career wise. Sometimes I get worried I might be too white collar and he might be too blue collar. But sometimes I think that might make a great balance in the relationship.

Obviously we are just starting to date so taking it one day at a time. But as anyone experienced similar scenario? Where they date someone from a very blue collar role and the other person from a very white collar world? How did it go for you? What was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:36 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
So started dating this guy (I am bi guy myself). We have hit it off super well. I have had a hard time dating guys, but in regards to personality and being compatible we are freakishly similar. We had an amazing time on our first date and are having our second date soon. I really really like him and its mutual from him. We've been talking every day, all day long.

However there is something that concerns me. As much as I like him, and I think I might come off as a snob, I'm not sure how well he would be accepted in my family. And I worry about his ambition too.

I work in marketing and public relations, and have made a great career for myself. My family is all college educated, my sister is a lawyer with her own law firm, my parents both very successful execs, and we have about 4 doctors in our immediate family, and I have two family members getting their PHDs. And the people my family date tend to be from similar backgrounds.

This guy I am dating, is currently an electrician, very blue collar, even has a tattoo sleeve. I can see my family not so much being mean or unfriendly to him, but I am sure they would continuously try to convince me that based on his education, career path and so on, that I should strive for better. My family tends to have high standards.

I think as long as the person I date can be independent financially and make a comfortable living for themselves I don't care as much. I care more about how they treat me and how we can have a relationship. But sometimes I do worry about his lack of ambition. I am a very ambitious person, looking to move forward in my career, move up, build a family, and I even want to start my own company. He seems to want to coast in life, he's thinking of changing jobs and going from being an electrician to a commercial driver. So in that sense it worries me.

At the same time he does seem like he wants more out of life from an personal development perspective. He wants to travel more and he wants to learn more about different cultures, cities, etc., but he wants to take it easy career wise. Sometimes I get worried I might be too white collar and he might be too blue collar. But sometimes I think that might make a great balance in the relationship.

Obviously we are just starting to date so taking it one day at a time. But as anyone experienced similar scenario? Where they date someone from a very blue collar role and the other person from a very white collar world? How did it go for you? What was your experience?
If you really like/love this guy, then as long as he's a good guy (not a drug dealer, career criminal, etc.), then whether your family will like him or not shouldn't have any bearing.

Also, I agree in that it would be a great balance since you're white collar, and he's blue collar.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 AM

I will say this, outside of that there really aren't any big negatives. He said sometimes he needs to be pushed to "go above and beyond" and I just wouldn't want it to be a situation where I have to constantly push him grow in his career or be better himself. I don't mind helping him, I just don't want to babysit him.

But other than that he is just such a nice guy a real sweetheart. I think someone who probably gets overlooked at lot in the gay community because of his profession. He does ok for himself in terms of $, but I feel in the gay community there is such an important emphasis on "image".

Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 AM

462 posts, read 550,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
If you really like/love this guy, then as long as he's a good guy (not a drug dealer, career criminal, etc.), then whether your family will like him or not shouldn't have any bearing.

Also, I agree in that it would be a great balance since you're white collar, and he's blue collar.
I'm on board with this. if your family doesn't like him because of his profession that says a lot more about them then it does about him.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
You've had ONE date, and you're speculating about your future and his career habits.

Get to know him and figure out how you REALLY feel about him FIRST instead of fantasizing about how it COULD be. THEN make your own decisions.

DO NOT base it on what "the gay community" emphasizes or what your family may think unless you really do need constant outside affirmation.

It's nice to have the support of family, but if you are making relationship decisions based on the potential for family disapproval, then you need to work on emotional boundaries before you get into a real relationship with someone.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:36 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Go watch the most recent episode of Downton Abbey. Pay particular attention to what granny has to say.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Go watch the most recent episode of Downton Abbey. Pay particular attention to what granny has to say.
I don't watch that show. What did she say more or less?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
UrbanCheetah, friend-to-friend here, you seem to invest an awful lot, think a lot, question a lot and insert worry RIGHT AWAY into associations (can't even really call them "relationships" as you're doing this before you even meet the people).

Is it possible you're subconsciously inserting problems where none may exist because you're scared of exploring these options?

Just a thought. Not a psychologist but I play one on...Okay, I don't even play one. But...it's still worth thinking about...IMO.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
UrbanCheetah, friend-to-friend here, you seem to invest an awful lot, think a lot, question a lot and insert worry RIGHT AWAY into associations (can't even really call them "relationships" as you're doing this before you even meet the people).

Is it possible you're subconsciously inserting problems where none may exist because you're scared of exploring these options?

Just a thought. Not a psychologist but I play one on...Okay, I don't even play one. But...it's still worth thinking about...IMO.
I think my problem right now is I am in the process of coming out. I never dated guys before, and just started this past November. So it's kind of a new and exciting territory for me, that I think sometimes I get overzealous about and overthink. I will say I do a good job hiding it from the guys I date, but in my head I think about it ALL the time.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
So lets break this down, you come from a long line of snobs, and you let others control your dating life.

That's the take-away I got.

As some one else mentioned, just cool your jets, get to know the person before you start picking out curtains and bed linens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships