Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 644 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I would like to share my story in order to get feedback. I have been dating a Vietnamese guy since last summer and our relationship have been great: he is warm, loving, caring and the best person I have dated so far. I study in another country and we have been in a long distance relationship for the most of the time.

We come from different cultures. He has lived here for most of his life since the age of 4, and he knows my culture very well and speaks the language etc. However, I am not very with his culture.

I am very progressive and liberal as a person being raised in Northern Europe. And so far as I know his family is rather strict and traditional. I have strong belief in equality between genders, I have tattoos which is something that his family does not really like: he has told me to cover up my tattoos when I meet his parents, and he has said to me that I should help his mum in the kitchen when I meet her because it is something that women in the family are required to do. I have no problems with this since I am willing to appreciate their Vietnamese culture as much as possible.

I have met his sister who was really nice as a person and we got along very well! However, since my boyfriend is not ready to introduce me to rest of his family, I sense that he might still see me as not reserved/restrained enough. And surely I am not ready before I know more about their customs and what is expected from me. I have tried to learn as much as I can from him and show interest towards his culture.

Do you have any experiences between Asian- Caucasian relationships and is there something that I should take into account? I fear that his family does not see me as potential wife for my boyfriend and that would be a big deal breaker.

Thank you in advance

Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Against forum rules (race discussions)

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,069 times
There are cultures that do things a certain way. In this case, the woman doing the traditional things. In this day and age, cross-ethnic dating and marriages are common so it's is up to the couple to see what suits them best. Obviously you will have to be ok with certain things when it comes to his cultural 'expectations'.

His family has to accept that there is a cultural differences and that you will not be doing the things that women of their culture do. I don't know them so I don't know how they will react to this. But he also cannot expect you to fully adopt the culture (some women do it). Talk to him about it and lay it out as is.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Sorry, OP, but threads about race or ethnicity are not permitted.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships