Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 AM

672 posts, read 2,122,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
Don't know anything about her as of yet, but hope to get information from our first phone conversation. Then may be get to meet her at her convenience. I thought been honest about been nervous would not be starting on a good foot. I would keep your advice in check. Thank's.

I hope she is nervous like I am and I love the fact that you remind me she is a person and not a date.

I definitely would have to take a deep breath before taking the plunge. About starting the conversation does it matter that my friends complain that I am very quiet/ reserve? I am an individual of few words. I just don't like lengthy merry go round conversations.

Kiss on the first date would be nerve wrack for me, thank God she is in a different state. What do you define as REAL DATING? please clearify- remember I have never dated. Is it just hanging out because I definitely can do that.

Simple is best indeed, I hope I don't embarass myself and make my friend feel bad wrt "hooking" us up if she complains.

Well, I guess what I mean is simply this: First off, just try to enjoy getting to know each other by doing simple things together. Remember, two hours of fun, just browsing thru a nice mall, is better than a whole evening of up-tight anything. Also, it's important to think about your own likes and dis-likes. Who knows, it could be that its YOU that doesn't care much for HER, rather than the other way around. But, in time, you both will know if you click or not. Just keep your first encounters light, be a gentleman, and you'll be fine. Be advised though, that there is a class of females, who don't care a lot for the gentleman type of thing such as opening her car door etc. Thats not just my opinion, I have been out with a couple like that. But, when you start to feel comfortable holding hands with her, in places you two might visit, you are very, very close to what you might call dating status. I hope it all works out for you. One final thought :Please don't DOOM yourself by getting about half-smashed on alcohol, to build up your courage for your first get-together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,477,415 times
I remember back when I was single and dating...I didn't really like to go out on "eating dates". I was always worried about my breath smelling, or something stuck in my teeth, of having food drop out of my mouth or having those moments when no one has something to say.

I always preferred more of a fun date. Take me bowling. This way, you're active and if you have nothing to say, you're still doing something and you don't notice as much. And, they have finger foods so you can eat a little more carefully.....just an idea...

Old 02-10-2008, 09:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,094,520 times
npumcrisz"""About starting the conversation does it matter that my friends complain that I am very quiet/ reserve? I am an individual of few words. I just don't like lengthy merry go round conversations. ""

YES! If I was a "few" years younger I'd date you myself!!!!

But remember...sometimes a little empty chit chat creates a more relaxed situation...it's tried and true "social" thing.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:03 PM

783 posts, read 2,582,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, I guess what I mean is simply this: First off, just try to enjoy getting to know each other by doing simple things together. Remember, two hours of fun, just browsing thru a nice mall, is better than a whole evening of up-tight anything. Also, it's important to think about your own likes and dis-likes. Who knows, it could be that its YOU that doesn't care much for HER, rather than the other way around. But, in time, you both will know if you click or not. Just keep your first encounters light, be a gentleman, and you'll be fine. Be advised though, that there is a class of females, who don't care a lot for the gentleman type of thing such as opening her car door etc. Thats not just my opinion, I have been out with a couple like that. But, when you start to feel comfortable holding hands with her, in places you two might visit, you are very, very close to what you might call dating status. I hope it all works out for you. One final thought :Please don't DOOM yourself by getting about half-smashed on alcohol, to build up your courage for your first get-together!
Thank goodness, I don't smoke nor drink.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
npumcrisz"""About starting the conversation does it matter that my friends complain that I am very quiet/ reserve? I am an individual of few words. I just don't like lengthy merry go round conversations. ""

YES! If I was a "few" years younger I'd date you myself!!!!

But remember...sometimes a little empty chit chat creates a more relaxed situation...it's tried and true "social" thing.
Thank goodness

Old 02-10-2008, 02:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Well, first of all, this is just the first of many dates for you. Whether that's with this young lady or others. Nothing is riding on this one date, so just relax. As far as conversation, you can ask genuine things about her that you're interested in. Do you know what sorts of things she might be interested in - sports, hobbies, movies, etc. Also, to take some of the heat off, you can start with a short date or a date where you don't have to do a lot of conversation, ie movie.

There's also nothing wrong with being honest and saying that you're nervous. Women find honesty an attractive trait!! Chances are, she's dealing with her own set of nerves. Best of luck to you!
Good advice. This is one of many dates for you. The short date is a fantastic idea. Meet for coffee or something just to get a feel for the other person (not "feel" but "feeling. ).

You'll be fine! And if not, it's not a big deal at all.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,183,030 times
maybe you got good instincts?
listen to them?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,640,649 times
Just relax! Remember all of us have had to experience a first date at one point or another and we all survived it. Sure you're going to be nervous, we all were. You sound like a super nice guy and that will come through to her. I think that if the two of you get together for a walk through the park, a zoo visit, touring a museum, bowling, or another activity it might be less pressure on you because you'll be doing something together and that will generate conversation in itself. Think of it as going out with a potential friend. Have fun, be a gentleman, and get to know who she is. Let her do most of the talking if you get nervous. I always ask myself what is the worst thing that can happen and in this case it's none too bad. The worst thing that can happen is that you have one awkward date, but the potential for a new friend or more is worth that risk. We're all pulling for you!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,860,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I'm so confused!!!
What do you mean you never had a relationship?
You mean you're a virgin???!!!
Sorry. Eh hem...
That just freaks me out.

What's wrong with being a virgin?
I'm still a virgin at 28, there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Good advice. This is one of many dates for you. The short date is a fantastic idea. Meet for coffee or something just to get a feel for the other person (not "feel" but "feeling. ).

You'll be fine! And if not, it's not a big deal at all.
LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships