U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtherecord View Post
I have been called intense many times but only Borderline by one very Passive Agressive man (as diagnosed by the intervention of my younger sisters). I feel as if one manifestation of my intensity is lack of patience with imperfections (almost OCD). As a result of my intensity, I am more successful in work than others but my personal relationships suffer. Sometimes I literally use up all the energy in the room, at the expense of my friends and relatives. I'm looking for ways to become less intense and more laid back ... without drugs. I do yoga ad nauseum, walk and/or stretch daily - all great for calming down my high energy. Adrenal fatigue seems to be another source of my intensity and I've started taking supplements for that ... and they help. ... anyone have any other ideas?
Wow...Amazing self analysis! I feel I am getting less intense but I have a long wya to go. Do you ever feel as though you must give advice every time your friends talk to you? Try the Genotype Diet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,389,631 times
"Intense" can mean so many different things, it really depends on what you mean by "intense." For example, intense can mean: loyal, dependent, codependent, decisive, free-spirited, powerful, oppressive, manipulative, self-expressive, eccentric, blunt, preachy, animated, temperamental, passionate, hysterical, total brainiac, delusional, captivating, erratic, ethical, stiff, daring, intimidating, narcissistic, enthusiastic, frantic, overly attentive, demanding...etc. All of those are different ways of being intense. If you think about it, any of those could be described as "intense." Being around any of those behaviors can feel overwhelming or intense. So it really depends on the kind of intense you're talking about.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,946,183 times
What about "all of the above" traits that you described? Oy vey. I am even put off by it, but it is a fact of life for some of us! I like to reframe it as "artistic personality," or "highly sensitive" or "empathic" or "passionate." Can't help what you are and should embrace it - those who can't handle it are not simpatico - nothing personal.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,946,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc1980 View Post
That sounds like me ...but not the screaming. Maybe society needs us. My father told me once..."Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience." Funny but true. If a person does not understand your meaning or thoughts the weaker personality will always pull the stronger down a little. But the stronger if he or she allows it to happen will become very unbalanced and always be viewed as an over reactor or angry because they are in unchartered territory. So how does one overcome this flaw?
How interesting and what an insightful observation by your dad. Was he also intense?

I don't view it as a "flaw," but many do. I see in your next post you came around to "gift." I think that is more appropo (sp.)

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,249 times
Definitions are all over the place. I would only go so far as to say that intense people don't smile or laugh as much as most people. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just different. We can't all be the same.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM

639 posts, read 420,648 times
Quote:
I would only go so far as to say that intense people don't smile or laugh as much as most people.
I recently had a date with someone who was VERY intense, probably the most intense person I ever met, but he smiled and laughed the whole time. He was absolutely fascinating, artistic, very bright, a deep thinker, and I think he was very emotional. My instincts tell me that his intensity is partly his due to his passionate personality and partly to hide a tremendous amount of pain and insecurities.

I've never dated someone so intense before, and I wasn't sure how it would work out, but he never called anyway. But I can say that I was drawn to him.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,372,643 times
I have a very strong, alpha personality. I tend towards tough love and will say what most others are either too afraid to say or cannot for reasons of fear, etc.
I can certainly be diplomatic and tactful, but there are just times when things need to be said.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM

8,739 posts, read 4,675,508 times
Usually guys don't say she's 'intense' they just call her a bit*h.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 AM

4,363 posts, read 2,038,690 times
Threatening in some way, I'd say.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 AM

406 posts, read 337,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
What traits would you personally use to describe an intense personality?

Would you describe yourself as being an intense person? Has anyone else described you as being intense?

Do you feel that people who are intense have a harder time being in relationships or socializing than others? Why or why not?

Would you want your partner to be more or less intense as a personality overall?

Surprisingly, it's not easy to come across various opinions and info on this subject. I'll see a few things here and there on the internet about this topic through Google, but there's no definitive link or website that talks about this to a good degree.
I prefer to call it 'passionate', but I am VERY intense .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships