U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 AM

253 posts, read 719,182 times

Advertisements

What traits would you personally use to describe an intense personality?

Would you describe yourself as being an intense person? Has anyone else described you as being intense?

Do you feel that people who are intense have a harder time being in relationships or socializing than others? Why or why not?

Would you want your partner to be more or less intense as a personality overall?

Surprisingly, it's not easy to come across various opinions and info on this subject. I'll see a few things here and there on the internet about this topic through Google, but there's no definitive link or website that talks about this to a good degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 AM

672 posts, read 1,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post

Would you describe yourself as being an intense person? Has anyone else described you as being intense?

Do you feel that people who are intense have a harder time being in relationships or socializing than others? Why or why not?

Would you want your partner to be more or less intense as a personality overall?

Surprisingly, it's not easy to come across various opinions and info on this subject. I'll see a few things here and there on the internet about this topic through Google, but there's no definitive link or website that talks about this to a good degree.

Well, I think maybe I have met a couple of people I would describe as having had intense personalites. Sometimes these type of folks can be quite popular with other people, it seems. It also seems to me that if you can ever have one of these types as a true friend, it can be a real blessing. I feel like I'm kind of a laid-back person, most of the time. Still, I try to be friendly toward just about everyone I meet, and quite a few people do tend to hang around me, so I guess you might just call that an attractive type personality. But, the type of personality you might describe as "intense", isn't always such a good thing, I don't believe. In fact, with many of these people, I am of the opinion that they have a mental disorder, and could even be dangerous because of these intense emotions they seem to have. I DO want to point out that this is only my opinion, and I don't have any links or articles to back it up. But the type I'm speaking of is a clingy-needy-extroverted, but inwardly insecure type of person. It's kind of hard to describe, but I do know what the OP is talking about. I will be interested in reading what others have to say about this!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 AM

17,887 posts, read 17,351,474 times
I think I tend to avoid people with intense personalities. Well, the ones that I think are intense.

It is just too much. I feel like I am a bit layed back, I think. I have to agree with Dennis' take on it.

I do, however think that we all can become intense, during certain emotional situations. Me as well.
I do know a girl who was very intense in her actions towards others, and demanded attention at all times.

I had too much stuff going on in my life, and would loved to have been there for her, but it was just something I could not handle.

Now that my life is good for me, I could not let something like that back in to tarnish it.

I hope that does not sound bad.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,900,872 times
Not sure if intense and needy are similar traits. But people who are needy for attention seem very intense;not that we all don't have intense moments. Gosh, I just confused myself to no end! Intense people are draining the life out of those around them, IMO, always having to be centerstage and demanding to be heard. I'd rather stay laid back and absorb my surroundings because most things in life you can't change anyway. I certainly would not be able to live my life with a very intense person.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,168,837 times
Intense personalities are very focused. Sometimes this can be a good thing. It's like anything else. I forget who said this, but a fault is almost always a virtue taken to excess. My problem is that many intense people tend to be perfectionists, and they don't have a lot of patience with people who aren't the same way they are.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
It's always both interesting and amusing to read how we all interpret words and behavior.

Just the other day I was describing a 3-1/2 year old as "serious" and her mother replied, "no she is intense."

My view of an intense personality is one who is intent upon issues, and focused on either solving a problem, or sharing an issue that compels them greatly.

One can be intensely involved with their work, avocation or relationships but not absorbed in it at the expensive of other issues, or focused on themselves as in "needy".

Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,175,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
Hmm, that's a good question. I find it hard to define as well (no wonder not much has been written on it). It's something you feel... I'd say it describes people who experience strong love and hatred and are very passionate about all their likes and dislikes. Certainly not easy to live with it, but exciting. Probably being intense would be on the list of characteristics of most personality disorders, particularly Borderline Personality Disorder, as seeing things in black and white is the main issue. Unfortunately, personality-disordered people tend to be generally more charming and exciting. "Bad boy/girl" vs. "nice guy/girl" is nothing more than differentiating between a disordered person and an emotionally-healthy one (whatever the heck that is... ) in layman's terms, IMO.

If I have to give you an example of intense people, the first ones that come to mind would be Heathcliff and Catherine from Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights. Coincidentally, it's one of my favorite "love" stories. Do I need to say more about my own emotional health...?!

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/29/wuthering_heights.jpg (broken link)

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/29/wuthering_heights.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM

739 posts, read 1,070,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Intense personalities are very focused.
My spouse always used to say I was pretty intense.

When we met, I was an up-and-coming young painter. My apartment had only a metal folding chair, my easel, paints and canvases, and a sleeping bag. I used to work 25 or 30 hours straight, crash out on the sleeping bag, get up and start back to work again. I guess you could call that focused.

I'm still pretty intense but I don't seem to get myself bothered by drama like a lot of other people do. I'm mostly little detached toward people.

I don't know if that means I have a borderline personality disorder, a lot of artists are a little nuts, but we've been married 25 years, so if I don't, maybe my spouse does.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 34,958 times
I am a martial artist and a writer and I definately have an intense personality. My instructor is amazed at my ability to focus during a fight and inevitable intimidate and crush my opponent. Additionally I apply that intensity and focus when breaking boards. Even as a junior student and a first timer i was as good as those who had been training for years. All because of the intensity.

Yes I am occasionally needy with my partners. I recently ended a relationship with a man more intense then i am. No intense personalities do not make a right. I think they are a hinderence to a relationship. As someone above wrote bad boy/ bad girl, an intense personality makes.

I also think that it is linked to mental disorders simply because these types of personalities live in their heads more, think more, see more and feel more. That is harder to deal with and make them withdrawn, sensitive and insecure. I certianly have.

Also i would like to add that I believe an intense personality is drawn from a dark power. Not sure what that means

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 AM

7,250 posts, read 6,625,780 times
Myself? Very. I'm quite direct, focused and no bones about it in my communications and upward mobilities. It benefits me socially. Has not hindered my social life or relationships at all. People know where I stand most times, when I allow and choose to convey. I gravitate to other strong personalities, without a doubt. I am like a bug to a light whereas passionate personalities are concerned - whether it be male or to a female pal. People would have to be practically out cold-dead to not realize that I have a stronger persona - many have told me that I am easy to get along with because I am my own walking manual which leaves out much guesswork. Yup. That about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships