Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:03 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a few single guy friends and here is what is going on:

1. 46, average height, hardly any hair anymore, no butt, skinny legs, big beer belly, slightly below average face. Gets laid all the time because he is not shy and just hits on women he likes. He said if one out of 50 respond, he is happy! He said women like how bold he is. He doesn't care about rejection. If we wouldn't work together, I might have tried him out when I was single.

2. 42, looks average, but finds himself ugly. Never had a gf. Probably never will because he is too shy. He wants a gf but does NOTHING about it. Refuses to go on dating sites because he feels to ugly to even have a chance. It's sad to watch because he is getting more and more depressed and would be a great bf.

3. 35, smoking hot, gym rat, muscles, super nice. Desperately looking for a gf, goes out a lot but is too shy to approach and women usually don't approach him either. I think the issue here is that women think he is too hot and don't even bother. He had gfs in the past but has a hard time finding one since 2 years.

My point - no matter how you look like, don't be shy!! You can't win if you don't try!! Looks are secondary, just be bold and put yourself out there and approach.
I'm shy but I've gotten dates that haven't led to anything. If some of you women on this forum weren't married or in LTR's I'd be on you like white on rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:08 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Yes, but I think the unfortunate truth is that sometimes that person is taken, lives a geographically very challenging distance away from you, and/or sometimes you won't encounter them until middle age or late in life.

These are depressing truths imo.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Cheap meaningless sex is easy to attain, if that's all you're looking for.

If you're asking if everyone has a love match out there.......
A person who actually "gets" them, who is capable of being there
for good times & bad times, who is 100% faithful & devoted, too.........

No. That's fairy tale thinking.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Cheap meaningless sex is easy to attain, if that's all you're looking for.

If you're asking if everyone has a love match out there.......
A person who actually "gets" them, who is capable of being there
for good times & bad times, who is 100% faithful & devoted, too.........

No. That's fairy tale thinking.
Trust me, cheap meaningless sex ain't easy to get. If it was, I wouldn't be a virgin right now, I swear to God.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Trust me, cheap meaningless sex ain't easy to get. If it was, I wouldn't be a virgin right now, I swear to God.
"Cheap and meaningless sex" is much easier to procure, than a meaningful relationship. But that doesn't make it easy. It's much easier to buy a 5-year-old Chevy from Craigslist, than a Tesla or a Ferrari. But for somebody with no credit and no cash, even the used Chevy is a prodigious difficulty.

It's certainly true that mere sex, or "settling" for a person deemed to be beneath one's dignity, contains an element of degradation and of failure in self-respect. I'm not going to endorse this route, as being a credible alternative to a real relationship, or something towards which we ought to aspire. Nevertheless, it's flagrantly condescending to claim that "anyone" could do this, or that somehow it's only a bad attitude that prevents progress.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:10 PM

746 posts, read 442,503 times
I've always heard it, but hard experience has taught me the opposite.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
No. Because there are people out there who really aren't deserving of a relationship. Why?

They don't respect themselves in how they take care of themselves physically, emotionally, and in every other aspect of the word. You know, when you spend every night gorging on Doritos and other crap while playing video games, when you aren't bothered to look in the mirror at your Pantera t-shirt and lousy haircut and fifty pounds of fat, and when you are so desperate for a date that you'll put up with any degree of nonsense, then how can you expect others to respect you?

They lack the innate empathy to understand the needs and desires of others. This message board is filled with people who need the basics told to them. As in how to not play games with someone else's heart. How to be considerate. And the list goes on.

They fail to understand that the world doesn't revolve around themselves. Tell me this doesn't require explanation.

They don't have the essentially bravery to risk a commitment. Courage is the foundation of all happiness. Unless you're willing to put yourself out there, make that phone call, make that move, and whatever else, you'll be lonely. No two ways around it.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 PM

405 posts, read 241,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Yes, but I think the unfortunate truth is that sometimes that person is taken, lives a geographically very challenging distance away from you, and/or sometimes you won't encounter them until middle age or late in life.

These are depressing truths imo.

\very true, If that is the case for me, I may die a virgin who was never in a relationship, If I live another 25-30 years (anywhere from the age of 55-60) I feel that is long enough for me and I will be ready to move on so to speak, if I go as a virgin who never had a relationship than that is what was destined for me and I accept that.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:48 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Not everyone IS looking for another....the answer by default is a no.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:32 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeNSoCal View Post
I do not believe there is someone out there for everyone. Some people will never find love.
I guess I will modify my statement by saying, some people will never find love unless they are willing to keep lowering their standards until they reach the level of acceptance from the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships