Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msross67 View Post
Oh-Eve,

I was taken care of my own yard when I met him. One of the things I thought was so sweet about him is the fact that he made the satatement " I'd be taking care of your yard if i were your man.!"

Since he's not doing "yardwork" maybe that was a euphemism for something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Always my advise to these personal situations/questions is to 'talk to your partner'.

Two can solve any issue/s with communication and resolve.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Oh-Eve,

I was taken care of my own yard when I met him. One of the things I thought was so sweet about him is the fact that he made the satatement " I'd be taking care of your yard if i were your man.!"
yeah, well, that's what a lot of people do. Empty promises but he might even have meant it when he said it. But actions speaker louder than words.

My ex promised me a house. I got my house. He didn't do anything, just looked at me when I walked by the window outside, dragging yard stuff around and then I had backpain for a week and he complained that I just laid around until I felt better. Turns out, he never wanted a house. Therefore, every little thing that came with it, was too much for him. He was sitting bored on the couch, asking me what to do to not be bored and when I told him we can cut the trees together, he turned the tv on. But if this was the only bad thing about him, I would have let it slide.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:57 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Oh-Eve,

I can't speak for your fiancee in particular, but this is a common "line". "I would totally do XYZ if I were your man!"

Enough people eat it up for it to still be used.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:59 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
To answer your question I would pay the whole $125.

But more often then not in opinion threads like this the OP leaves a lot out that would be adverse to their position. Please excuse my questions.

You say he makes 3 times what you make, does that include the child and other support that you recieve?

Is he paying child support?

Is he paying half the mortgage payment, PITI, and maintence? Does he share in half appreciation?

Do the bills he is paying half of include expenses related to your kid?

Old 03-11-2016, 12:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
This question is directed toward Men, about Finances, and the role a Man should take as "Head of Household."

You are living with your Girlfriend (whom you have asked to Marry), and you make 3 times what she makes. The agreement upon move-in is that you two will split the bills 50/50.

Your Live in Girlfriend does all of the housework, buys all of the groceries, even does the Yard Work, and is a Single Parent to a child from a previous Marriage. You both Work Full-Time Jobs.

As a Man, would you feel bad about only contributing half, (considering you make 3 times as much as your future wife)?

As the Man of the house, If a bill in the amount of $125 is due, would you give your Live in Girlfriend EXACTLY $62.50?

Would you ask your "Live In Girlfriend" if she needed help with any extra financial or household expenses, or would you offer to pay more than your share of the household bills?
You know, when you start out with "Your money" and "My money" it sets a very bad tone for the relationship. If this really is the living together part before getting hitched, then it just goes into a pot and becomes "Our money." Because you commit to a relationship with everything you have. That includes your cash and your trust. Otherwise, no matter how many pious things you say, you're really not all in.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,207 times
I think you should talk with your partner and rearrange the agreement of 50-50 since you feel is not longer valid for you.

Talk things over with him. Sometimes agreements needs certain types of fixes no one can do, unless both parts involved take things into perspective and for that you need to talk.

If you feel the agreement is not of your liking, tell him so.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Any man that expects his live in girlfriend or wife to split bills '50/50' has unknowingly given the woman he is with, carte blanche freedom to not only cheat as much as she wants, but also have total justification for the infidelity.

Last edited by Skydive Outlaw; 03-11-2016 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: formatting, editing of philisophical thought, epicness

Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Any man that expects his live in girlfriend or wife to split bills '50/50' has unknowingly given the woman he is with, carte blanche freedom to not only cheat as much as she wants, but also have total justification for the infidelity.

Like someone else said to you, stick with the hypergamy shtick.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterLover2 View Post
This one guy I work with is completely nuts about finances. He charts out every monthly cost on a spreadsheet, I always hear him questioning his wife on purchases when the CC bill comes. it's nuts...
I do that too, but just for funsies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships