Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
How about meeting people offline? Stats have shown that the longest lasting relationships occur when the two partners have their first interaction in real life.

Meetup groups are usually a good fit post 40. Put on a tight dress and go to a bar. Play sports. Look sexy at the gym and men will approach.

Yeah, every chick wants to be that forty year old in a tight dress in a bar. Or that chick in full make-up at the gym.

No, just no.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:09 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I call phooy on the men over 40 only wanting young women. I'm a mid forties guy and I have lots of interest in women my actual age. I'm surely not the only guy who thinks that way
Actually, unless a lot has changed in 14 years (that's possible), IIRC when I loosely did online dating many, many, many of the men on various sites and on that "AOL Dating" thing (what was that called again?) listed their preferred age ranges as muuuuuuuuuuuuuch younger, to...just a little younger. So as an example: a 45-year-old man might list his preferred range as "25-39" or whatever. That was EXTREMELY common.

I doubt most of those guys were ultimately getting those 20-years-younger hotties (stats show that a very small percentage of people marry/wind up with someone that significantly younger/older) but I can see why at a glance the OP would think this was a majority thing, or at least a fair chunk.

Again, things could have changed, I don't know.

I remember the one ED, arthritic dude 10 years my senior who said I was the "oldest" he'd go because he needed a woman who could "keep up with him," LOL. Please, the Wendy's Where's the Beef lady could have bypassed him in a footrace.

FTR, though, I ended up marrying 4 years my junior.

More recently in history, my FIL found a lot of dates and ultimately, a wife through Match. He's in his 70s and she I think just turned 70.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Sorry, but I think Match.com and Eharmony are overrated. You can try POF, Tinder, or OurTime.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 PM

417 posts, read 593,966 times
The DC Metro area doesn't have many single men looking for marriage. I would love to move but my job is in the area.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 PM

454 posts, read 310,722 times
Cougar life. Gotta hit CL if you're a woman over 40. ��

Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
Sounds like a big age gap, not judging, but how is that working for you now as she is nearing menopause. I have never dated younger than 5 years and that did not work out, he acted very immature and wanted to watch cartoons like an adolescent.
Ummm...sounds like they've been together quite a while if he is CURRENTLY mid-forties and he met her at 32, no?

I'm sure she's likely gone through menopause by now. Not that that should matter. There are plenty of younger women who are already through menopause, typically due to surgical interventions.

My husband and I have a similar age gap. We're just fine. Been together for more than a decade now. Big age gaps don't always work out. Neither do small ones.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM

366 posts, read 432,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Cougar life. Gotta hit CL if you're a woman over 40. ��
I don't know...the whole "cougar" thing just sounds like a polite translation for "MILF". And if the OP is possibly looking for something other than a quick hookup or "friends with bennies" situation..I would stay far away from any site with the word cougar in it's name...lol. Also, the tv commercials I've seen for Cougar life, have some woman who looks like she's barely 30 years old. I thought cougar were over 40.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Grocery store, gym, park, church, art gallery, ball game...

Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
As a 40+ woman, I am sad to say I have found they are all pretty much the same and they all suck. My single 40+ friends would tend to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, unless a lot has changed in 14 years (that's possible), IIRC when I loosely did online dating many, many, many of the men on various sites and on that "AOL Dating" thing (what was that called again?) listed their preferred age ranges as muuuuuuuuuuuuuch younger, to...just a little younger. So as an example: a 45-year-old man might list his preferred range as "25-39" or whatever. That was EXTREMELY common.
In my more recent experience, that has not changed. I saw a lot of 40+ with 35 tops as their upper limit. That and more than my fair share of overweight men who were looking to get back into shape and therefore did not want to be contacted by anyone who isn't "fit" or "athletic."

My best friend is 36. His upper range was 39 and he said he had a hard time with that because anyone over about 35 looked "old." Had we not met IRL, he wouldn't have given me a second glance because of my age alone. Funny though, when I introduce him to friends, they all think I'm younger than him and are surprised to find I'm 6 years older! Most of the time, even I forget we aren't the same age.

Quote:
More recently in history, my FIL found a lot of dates and ultimately, a wife through Match. He's in his 70s and she I think just turned 70.
I have two good friends who are 50+ who have also had luck lately with Match.

Quote:
I know, what a sad visual.

When I grow up...I want to be a desperate woman alone at a bar in a tight dress!

Because then "the guys will approach."

I was going to go to dinner with a friend tomorrow and then possibly contra dancing but I think I will do this instead. Seems like a good investment of my time. However, people don't generally dress up around here, so a woman in a tight dress would certainly be noticed for no other reason than being totally out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, every chick wants to be that forty year old in a tight dress in a bar. Or that chick in full make-up at the gym..
My friend and I were at the gym a few Saturday nights ago and there were a couple of 20-somethings there in the tight workout clothes and full makeup. I wanted to go and tell them that based on what I've seen so far, they are going to be sorely disappointed!

The saddest thing though was seeing someone who looked older than me trying to chat up a couple of boys who appeared to be in college.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
The DC Metro area doesn't have many single men looking for marriage. I would love to move but my job is in the area.
I dated in the DC area from high school/college until I was 41, which is when I moved out of the area (nearly 5 years ago). I did OLD off and on in my 30s and possibly after 40 (though I don't recall for sure). I haven't used any of the OLD sites or apps that have cropped up in the past few years, but I agree that 40+ is no-man's land in the DC area if you're a woman. Or at least, that was my experience.

Leaving the DC area was the best thing I ever did for my love life. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships