Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 PM

249 posts, read 188,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
What exactly is a "phony feminist"?

A phony feminist is a woman that expects full equality in society such as equal pay for equal work, the same employment opportunities as men, and claims to be capable of doing anything males can. But the same woman will turn around and expect a man to pay her way for everything and be her money tree, and expect him to do things like be the initiator, hold open doors, fix her car, do her yardwork, or her household repairs. It's a perfect example of someone who is all about self-entitlement.
It can be a woman that claims to believe in equality among the genders but turns around and badmouths men for being what she considers less than superior qualities than women.
These are just a couple examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 05:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Eliot Rodger. Lack of sex was a major contributing factor to his mental health issues.
George Sodini was another

Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
A phony feminist is a woman that expects full equality in society such as equal pay for equal work, the same employment opportunities as men, and claims to be capable of doing anything males can. But the same woman will turn around and expect a man to pay her way for everything and be her money tree, and expect him to do things like be the initiator, hold open doors, fix her car, do her yardwork, or her household repairs.
And this is why I generally detest labels.

"Feminist" is a prime example. There have been so many diverse scholarly and practical incarnations of "feminism" over the years that just saying that one is a "feminist" means nothing absent the follow-up question- what does that mean to you?.

I firmly believe in the idea of self-sufficiency, no matter the gender. There was a recent discussion here about people not being able to do simple DIY projects at home. When I was in middle school, all students were required to take home economics and wood shop. Essentially, no one was going to graduate to high school without being able to wield a hammer and screwdriver, or being able to do simple sewing or cooking-- regardless of gender.

I often joke that I was the son my dad never had. At the risk of assigning roles based on gender-- whenever my dad brought out a hammer, my brother found a way, any way, to make himself scarce. I was the one standing there, watching and learning, and giving dad a hand with the "household repair" stuff.

Before I was legally able to drive, I learned how to change a tire and do an oil change.

Yeah, I'm pretty self-sufficient with the everyday stuff.

With all that said, I have come to realize that I don't have to be the one doing the "household repair stuff". I don't have to be the one wielding the electric saw to cut fence posts. Could I be? Sure. And, to me, that's what feminism is about. If I have the capability and desire to do these things, there's no reason why I shouldn't do them. Unless, of course, I don't want to.

Choice.

Which leads into the expectations that I have with someone with whom I am intimate. Yup. I've got 'em. Nothing wrong with that, EVERYONE does. I just need to find someone with whom I am compatible. I am now with someone who is the "initiator". He makes me happy, and I'm fairly certain he feels the same about me.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
With all that said, I have come to realize that I don't have to be the one doing the "household repair stuff". I don't have to be the one wielding the electric saw to cut fence posts. Could I be? Sure. And, to me, that's what feminism is about. If I have the capability and desire to do these things, there's no reason why I shouldn't do them. Unless, of course, I don't want to.

Choice.

Which leads into the expectations that I have with someone with whom I am intimate. Yup. I've got 'em. Nothing wrong with that, EVERYONE does. I just need to find someone with whom I am compatible. I am now with someone who is the "initiator". He makes me happy, and I'm fairly certain he feels the same about me.
As a feminist, I try not to insult other people's choices even if they aren't the choices I would make for myself (I may not always succeed, but I try. ) Where society's made great strides is looking past the idea of "this is what men (have to) do" and "this is what women (have to) do", which gives everyone more choices. Simply because modern women are encouraged to make the first move in the dating arena doesn't make the women who don't want to do that wrong or backwards, nor does it make the men who wish to be pursued less of a man. As long as everyone's making informed choices and no one's being exploited, it all works.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-08-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM

57 posts, read 38,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
A phony feminist is a woman that expects full equality in society such as equal pay for equal work, the same employment opportunities as men, and claims to be capable of doing anything males can. But the same woman will turn around and expect a man to pay her way for everything and be her money tree, and expect him to do things like be the initiator, hold open doors, fix her car, do her yardwork, or her household repairs. It's a perfect example of someone who is all about self-entitlement.
It can be a woman that claims to believe in equality among the genders but turns around and badmouths men for being what she considers less than superior qualities than women.
These are just a couple examples.
That's called, a feminist. No need to be redundant.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Really? Wow.. ER was a fake story bro. And it was designed to play on the insecurities of young guys just like yourself. No one died & no one got hurt. Do you have any idea how much of the news is fake & contrived? Go to your local cosmetics counter for a clue as to how fake this society is.
So you're saying Elliot and his victims are alive and well?

Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I'm not going to tell the OP that he isn't missing much by not being in a relationship. I don't feel qualified to do that. I turn 30 in barely 3 weeks. I've never been in a relationship. Part of me sometimes feels I'm better off without a relationship. This feeling comes when I watch MGTOW videos. Part of me feels this way when I hear about some man being taken to the cleaners for child support. I sometimes want to say that when a divorced man is prevented from seeing his children (and especially if it happens to a Black man). On the other hand, affection from a female, companionship, I can't say that I would turn those things down. I actually like those things. I also don't want to be used and put through something like divorce.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 PM

181 posts, read 168,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So you're saying Elliot and his victims are alive and well?
ER is a fictional character who, in fact, was played by a gay guy. Why would a gay care if women gave him no play. Yes, they're alive & well; but they were fictional characters. The story was also contrived to demonize men. Divide & conquer.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi1001 View Post
I'm a 26 yo male and I've never been on a date, and I've never had a girlfriend. I don't even have any friends. Sometimes I feel kind of sad because of this. It sucks knowing I'll never find love because I'm so darn socially awkward. I just don't know what to do. I've recently been trying to be more social after many years of complete isolation, but I'm getting no where. I mean I have a decent paying job, and Ive also been going to the gym alot recently and bulking up, but I feel it's for nothing.

Does anyone else feel this hopeless? I feel socially awkward guys are screwed for life in love.
Hi Shinobi.

I'm pretty much in a similar situation as you. I'm 26, and also have never really been in a "real" relationship either. Sometimes I start to feel really hopeless too. Like you, I also consider myself to be socially awkward, and I have low self esteem too. So you're not the only person.

Many of my friends use online dating websites and have actually had decent luck with them. I haven't tried it out myself though.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
ER is a fictional character who, in fact, was played by a gay guy. Why would a gay care if women gave him no play. Yes, they're alive & well; but they were fictional characters. The story was also contrived to demonize men. Divide & conquer.
Let me guess: September 11, Newtown massacre, Boston marathon bombings--these were all staged as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships