Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 03:17 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times

Advertisements

I've known this girl at my school for a little over a year, and I was immediately attracted to her upon first meeting her. However, at that time, she had a boyfriend (who I met the same day as her and was very cool and half my ethnicity).

Funny thing is, around that same time, we ended up having one class together. We had some deep and great conversations, but I never went further than that cause I respected the relationship she was in. After the class and semester was over last May, we would see each other here and there on rare occasions.

She made a Facebook status about seeing a movie premiere yesterday, and I commented on it. Asked her how her semester was going afterwards after a bit back and forth talk about it. She then sends me a text message this morning saying that she saw my FB comment asking how her semester was going, and that it was fine, but that she and her boyfriend actually broke up (which must have been recent since they were together not just but a month ago). She then asked how I was and that if I need a lunch buddy, to hit her up. Made plans for lunch this upcoming Tuesday.

Question is, how can I transition from an acquaintance to a possible relationship with her? Not that I'll force it, and that whatever happens, happens. But this is a rare situation for me, and definitely want to be more than friends with her.

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 03:39 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Just relax and let things develop naturally.

Don't get your hopes up. If you end up spending more time with her later on down the road, you should probably let her know how you feel.

It's nothing to over think. Just have fun.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I think a lot of ladies here on CD say they leave guys in the "friend zone" because they never make their intentions clear. I would plan on paying for the date and try to swing yall's conversation toward dating matters. Be intentional and make sure she leaves with the idea you have romantic interest in her.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:02 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Op, caveat:

1. She may have already placed you in the dreaded "friendship zone" that so many guys hate and complain about.

2. Unless her boyfriend abused her or perhaps cheated on her (and hence,is now a completely unforgivable scum of the earth douche), she is likely (yes, I can say this without knowing her) not over him, given that their breakup, per your report, was recent. She likely isn't ready for a new romantic relationship. If she is, you will likely be the rebound guy.

Either way, proceed with caution.

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-26-2016 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: fix spelling error

Old 03-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think a lot of ladies here on CD say they leave guys in the "friend zone" because they never make their intentions clear. I would plan on paying for the date and try to swing yall's conversation toward dating matters. Be intentional and make sure she leaves with the idea you have romantic interest in her.
I plan to pay, and if she resists (which she likely definitely will), I'll tell her that I got it this time, and that she can get it the next time we go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Op, caveat:

1. She may have already placed you in the dreaded "friendship zone" that so many guys hate and complain about.

2. Unless her boyfriend abused her or perhaps cheated on her (and hence,is now a completely unforgivable scum of the earth douche), she is likely (yes, I can say this without knowing her) not over him, give that their breakup per your report was recent. She likely isn't ready for a new romantic relationship. If she is, you will likely be the rebound guy.

They're still friends on social media from what she said, so it doesn't seem like any abuse or cheating took place. And yes, I definitely thought about the fact that she may not be over him (and/or him over her).

Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
All you have to do is ask her out when the lunch is over. Just say, "This was really fun. Are you free this weekend? Do you wanna go do _______________ ?"

Whatever is fun to do where you live, or a restaurant meal.

Ask her out on a proper date, and treat her like a date, not like a dude.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM

UPDATE:

Yeah, she isn't over her ex by a long shot, lol. Most of the discussion today was basically revolving around her ex. She definitely still cares about him, but not sure if he feels the same about her. I definitely think they'll end up getting back together.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
UPDATE:

Yeah, she isn't over her ex by a long shot, lol. Most of the discussion today was basically revolving around her ex. She definitely still cares about him, but not sure if he feels the same about her. I definitely think they'll end up getting back together.
Yeah, I'd definitely let this die and back away.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
UPDATE:

Sorry to hear that mate

Obviously only time will tell but I think you are right, she still holds a torch for him so it doesn't bode well for you .

I hope I'm wrong as you're a decent bloke

Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Op, caveat:

2. Unless her boyfriend abused her or perhaps cheated on her (and hence,is now a completely unforgivable scum of the earth douche), she is likely (yes, I can say this without knowing her) not over him, given that their breakup, per your report, was recent. She likely isn't ready for a new romantic relationship. If she is, you will likely be the rebound guy.

Precisely this. Be careful, she's likely not over the ex and the lunch proposition could be a ploy to be seen by him (the jealousy game). Personally I'd not even bother with her romantically--she sounds like a good friend, which is where I'd keep her. Any romantic overtures should be made by her, which would then be a testament to their sincerity (to a degree).

Otherwise, yeah, you're most likely Mr. Rebound/Let's Make The Ex Jealous guy.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread...so it seems me and a couple others were right. Don't be the guy who sits and listens to a woman discuss another guy. Jesus Christ, don't waste your time like that around all those other potential dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships