Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider dating/marrying a foreigner?
Female: Yes – I’m open to all nationalities equally 18 33.33%
Female: Yes – Although I’d prefer an American/same nationality as me 6 11.11%
Female: Yes – Only if he comes from an English speaking country/first language is English 9 16.67%
Female: No – I would only date an American/same nationality as me 5 9.26%
Male: Yes – I’m open to all nationalities equally 7 12.96%
Male: Yes – Although I’d prefer an American/same nationality as me 5 9.26%
Male: Yes – Only if she comes from an English speaking country/first language is English 1 1.85%
Male: No – I would only date an American/same nationality as me 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:50 PM

754 posts, read 485,976 times

Advertisements

Just curious about this. I was looking through profiles on match.com recently and I was surprised by the number of women who have a requirement that their man must be of the same nationality as them. Now I live in the UK, but I do see a number of profiles in the "about my date" section and then under nationality stating - "British", or if not sometimes "British/Canadian/Australian/American" i.e. basically a foreigner is ok as long as they come from an English speaking country/English is their first language. I wouldn't say this was a majority of women, but it definitely was a substantial number, and I was thinking dating must be pretty tough if you ever became a foreigner. Some people feel the cultural differences are too big in dating someone other than their own nationality, particularly dating someone whose first language isn't English (differences in humor etc)

Now I know this forum does a lot gender stereotypes with people generalising "all men are this" "all women are that" etc and I tend to avoid that if possible, but if I'm being honest, again this only what I see in online dating, women tend to be slightly more conservative on this issue and are less likely to interested in dating foreigners than men are, that's just my perception in online dating, which may have no relevance to real life of course.

So as this is a predominately an American forum, I'm just curious as to American women on here what their opinions are on dating foreign men are? If they have any preferences at all?

I'll put a poll with it, for both sexes (so the men don't feel left out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
With dating being difficult enough already for many, those who specify may want to avoid another layer of difficulty from having to overcome cultural differences.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I didn't see an appropriate poll option for me. Yes, I'm open to non-Americans, but not all nationalities equally. No, I do not care if he isn't from an English speaking country.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
If there will be a significant language and cultural barrier, then the answer is no.

Now, if the man in question was British or Scottish (first generation), well...id sing a different tune: I'm a sucker for a nice foreign accent .

Old 03-26-2016, 10:48 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
For Americans, I'm guessing, a concern might be that he might be using her to gain citizenship.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,443 times
All the American men are over here in the Philippines and Thailand dating non-American woman.

Seems like tons of men here too.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:46 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
All the American men are over here in the Philippines and Thailand dating non-American woman.

Seems like tons of men here too.
Some of them aren't women...they just look like women

Old 03-27-2016, 03:54 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Philippines is a very westernized, english speaking country with its educational system, culture, religion heavily influenced by Spanish rule and its time as a US territory. Their women are raised traditionally and have a strong sense of family. This makes them unusually compatible with US Americans who find the Asian beauty attractive. Years ago, there was also a need for nurses here in the US, Filipina nurses were in high demand because the schools were accepted/credited here in the US. Nurses from there were given preferred status in the immigration process.

It is no surprise you will see many men dating/married to them. What is a surprise is how polictical relations have broken down between the two nations given how compatible they are culturally.

Years ago I was visiting the country and met a woman who I went on a few dates with. She was there studying nursing along with her brother. Father had business in the country and nursing school was significantly cheaper. Oddly enough, she was Swedish-American, blonde with blue eyes and spoke fluenty their native language (better than I). I went all the way to the Philippines only to date another American. LOL

When I as dating, I dated all sorts of women from different backgrounds and culture. If I were still dating, i'd probably still be open to dating anyone of any nationality. Some cultures are a bit more compatible than others and some english definitely helps; although I find learning other lanugages quite fun. Learned a bit of Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and Tagalog during those times

Last edited by usayit; 03-27-2016 at 04:05 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I need to go to the Philippines.

Not during the rainy season though.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
It seems that there may be confusion between nationality with ethnicity. I think most people are more than open to dating other ethnicities.

But as someone already said it, dating someone of a different nationality who has no means to obtain lawful status other than marriage, or someone who obtained their lawful status based on marriage, no.

Big resounding "no" from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships