Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

A lot of people seem to be taking "wiles" as looks...big boobs or whatever.

I have always taken "wiles" to mean how someone acts, not how she looks. Looks are attributes, not wiles, and any person can be lovely looking and even sexy looking but non-manipulative.

Wiles I feel are more along the lines of, say, leaning over and laughingly making semi-suggestive comments, wearing certain types of clothing and swinging hips, "accidentally" dropping something and bending to pick it up (like the girl in Legally Blonde, LOL), acting helpless and needing "help" while batting eyes, whoooooops "accidentally" showing up where the guy is wearing a killer outfit and oh my! - didn't expect to run into YOU here, fancy that! -etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
A lot of people seem to be taking "wiles" as looks...big boobs or whatever.

I have always taken "wiles" to mean how someone acts, not how she looks. Looks are attributes, not wiles, and any person can be lovely looking and even sexy looking but non-manipulative.

Wiles I feel are more along the lines of, say, leaning over and laughingly making semi-suggestive comments, wearing certain types of clothing and swinging hips, "accidentally" dropping something and bending to pick it up (like the girl in Legally Blonde, LOL), acting helpless and needing "help" while batting eyes, whoooooops "accidentally" showing up where the guy is wearing a killer outfit and oh my! - didn't expect to run into YOU here, fancy that! -etc., etc.
No, there doesn't have to be a sexual element to it at all. If I need to talk to someone in customer service to waive a fee, escalate an issue, or whatever, the benign, pleasant, gosh-I-hope-you-can-help persona gets better results than the pissed-off ballbuster. That is a feminine thing, but not a sexual one. An earnest, mild-mannered man is less likely to get help than his female equivalent.

Have you ever seen a woman bat her eyes? It sounds positively cartoonish.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Meh. A great booty almost always makes quite an impression.
Maybe, but the cop can't see it when you're sitting on it.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, there doesn't have to be a sexual element to it at all. If I need to talk to someone in customer service to waive a fee, escalate an issue, or whatever, the benign, pleasant, gosh-I-hope-you-can-help persona gets better results than the pissed-off ballbuster. That is a feminine thing, but not a sexual one. An earnest, mild-mannered man is less likely to get help than his female equivalent.

Have you ever seen a woman bat her eyes? It sounds positively cartoonish.
Oh.

Obviously, I have no idea what it is, much less how to do it.

Sorry, fellas, you'll have to look elsewhere for all your feminine wiles needs, LOL

But anyway, what you're describing is still action, not looks, so...there ya go.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:14 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. Unless the woman is simply using people - then that's not so nice. But a nice smile and some mild flirtation to get better service, to attract a man, to get out of a ticket, etc. - who is it hurting?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:16 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Everything is bigoted.

To some.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. Unless the woman is simply using people - then that's not so nice. But a nice smile and some mild flirtation to get better service, to attract a man, to get out of a ticket, etc. - who is it hurting?
Exactly!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
it is more of a "ethics and morals" issue for most who will find annoyance with it.

It is an attempt at Manipulation any way you slice it, whether or not the recepiant is accepting of it, it requires a personal attempt to begin with.
which, implies you are ok with purposfully manipulating others to get what you want/need/desire.

You're either ok treating people like this or you're not, but the underliner of all of this is most human interaction involves manipulation of some kind as most human interaction in based in self and for self.

their are degrees at play here and a larger ethics question looming above all. How you choose to define it will determine your readiness to accept it.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-31-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-31-2016, 12:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post

I tend to believe that life is a bit of a challenge, and anything that makes that challenge a bit easier seems OK to me. In your example, dating is different because no one can claim a "right" to date at all, much less a particular person. I do think people have, if not a right, then a very understandable expectation that things like service, grace from public servants, etc, be doled out evenly. When one person gets a disproportionate share of service or grace or whatever, they may be getting someone else's share. One person's good service takes the server's time away from someone else. Another person's sliding on a ticket leaves the cop's quota one short, so some one else will get that ticket. And so on.

That's all relatively minor and falls short of a moral or ethical question in my opinion, but nothing's free. In small ways "charming" people just shift the cost away from themselves. And yes, in each case someone's the willing fool facilitating this.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I tend to believe that life is a bit of a challenge, and anything that makes that challenge a bit easier seems OK to me. In your example, dating is different because no one can claim a "right" to date at all, much less a particular person. I do think people have, if not a right, then a very understandable expectation that things like service, grace from public servants, etc, be doled out evenly. When one person gets a disproportionate share of service or grace or whatever, they may be getting someone else's share. One person's good service takes the server's time away from someone else. Another person's sliding on a ticket leaves the cop's quota one short, so some one else will get that ticket. And so on.

That's all relatively minor and falls short of a moral or ethical question in my opinion, but nothing's free. In small ways "charming" people just shift the cost away from themselves. And yes, in each case someone's the willing fool facilitating this.
I don't think that that service or grace from public servants is ever doled out evenly. Most people enjoy interactions with pleasant people more than with unpleasant people. I'm not saying that anyone who isn't charming is unpleasant but if everyone were more pleasant - I think everyone would be happier. And I'll say this - I don't think that responding to someone's charms makes them a fool. It makes them a fool if they believe that the charming woman at the restaurant is going to become their wife - but they aren't a fool for simply enjoying a pleasant customer and giving her better service. Oh - and I'm also a good tipper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships