Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Men stereotypically don't make lists of what they want in a woman (they just want "physically attractive," receptive, and "not insane"). But I can't be the only one who has made mental or written lists. Please describe yours, including how they have changed over time and whether they've helped you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Men stereotypically don't make lists of what they want in a woman (they just want "physically attractive," receptive, and "not insane"). But I can't be the only one who has made mental or written lists. Please describe yours, including how they have changed over time and whether they've helped you.
1. Good mothering instincts. (Recently being reconsidered...).
2. Good in the kitchen. (This is uncompromising.)
3. An academic/intellectual. (Not so much anymore..)
4. A go-getter.
5. College educated.
6. Intelligent.
7. Cultured...isn't just another American girl. International perspective.
8. Religiously tolerant.
9. Moral...actively tries to be a good person.
10. And yes, smoking hot.

The problem with lists is that people grow and change...I don't want to limit her based on my preferences. These days it's just about chemistry and spark. If there's something about her, then I'm interested. If not, on to the next.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,396 times
I don't do lists, I don't even really know what I want - I'd like to meet people and see where it goes! I think lists are disgusting, makes you look like a bitter jackass, goes for both genders.

What do I prefer? Somebody active, fun and open minded. I must admit that I've dated a few religious opinionated women that I didn't think I'd get along with, turns out I really enjoyed their company. I'm pretty carefree when it comes to stuff like that; but if they took issue with me being agonistic/atheist I'd just set the ball in their court. None of that **** matters to me.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
i use to have a list of three requirements

she was good hearted
she could cook
i could dead-lift her

thru the years, ive had to scale back, the expectations were too high

Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i use to have a list of three requirements

she was good hearted
she could cook
i could dead-lift her

Scale back to one?
She can cook a microwave dinner?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Not ugly (at least a 6.5+ on 1-10 scale)
Not obese (thick is ok, not fat)
Can cook things from scratch
Good with kids
Christian
Still likes to go out for the night or evening
College educated or at least in college
Good to excellent credit score
Can "get" my sense of humor
Grammatically aware
White or Latina

I'm sure there's more I can think of.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Fun to be with
Intelligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Did you stop working out?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm on board with what you say here:

1. She's gotta be physically attractive to me, at least a 6 out of 10 on the scale. I could write a whole book on what I find to be "attractive", which happily differs me from most of my buddies. I feel good knowing that we won't be chasing the same women.
2. Receptive and friendly is a must. I was in line to get a water at church, behind a girl I've seen around for two years, and I say "hey, how are you doing"? She looks at me like I'm a slug or freak and quickly walks away. No, thanks. I still know nothing about her except her name. And hell no, I would never date her. She's one of the only 20-something single women in that place, and I hear her constantly complain about being single. (Every other woman in their 20's, with only one or two other exceptions, is already married.) Hullo, lighten up, and your prospects might change...
3. Not insane. 'Nuff said.

In addition to what you list, here's my requirements (in no particular order):

1. Must be on the same theological page. I'm Christian, and I'm not dating a non-Christian.
2. Must not be over 26. I don't do cougars, MILF's, mature, or anything like that.
3a. Must not have kids from previous relationship. No baby daddy drama for me.
3b. Must not otherwise be damaged goods or have unsorted drama. See above.
4. Must not be a prude. (Sometimes that's at odds with #1.)
5. Must not be introverted. My dating history with highly introverted people is nothing short of disastrous.

These are off the top of my head, at any rate - they're not written down, but they *are* floating around in my head when I consider dating someone.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
An interesting question, though as others suggest (Posts #2 and #3) not sure what you're going to receive as counsel, other than disjointed personal opinions. From that I'd hesitate to draw too many conclusions: biased sample, to say the least.

Thinking on it, the most valid answers are buried in the data the big dating sites must collect: POF, OKC, M, eH come to mind. (I do roughly similar analysis for a living, though with other kinds of data sets.) They must have vast amounts of data on male and female preferences, which is their IP (intellectual property) and probably a closely-guarded secret. That is truly too bad for most of us. If, however, that data is available to mine, someone tell me where and I'll download for analysis.

Statistical analysis is your friend here, let's think more on it: the more ways to slice-n-dice the data, the better answers tailored to your specifics. Sample questions that could be used to mine dating site data, least to most-detailed:

"What quals do men prefer in women" --100,000 foot level.
"...American men.
"...living in the PacNW
"...who are White
"...who have college education
"...who have kids
"...jobs
"...cars
(etc.)

Multiple regression analysis, basically.

See where I'm going? Definitely useful, and like most data mostly-meaningless until 1) big enough sample size that is representative of the population who dates 2) can be narrowed down enough to fit the desired demographic (your preferences).

(Chuckle): if I were running the "free" sites, I'd require new users to fill out maybe fifty questions about some of the above. And give a credit card number and non-spurious email, for various upsells/options. And to weed out the nuts and losers living with mom in the basement. Of course, that would probably reduce the data set (users) by 50-75%, so depends on the revenue model they're trying to capture and quality of data needed! Ain't marketing interesting?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
1. Good mothering instincts. (Recently being reconsidered...).
2. Good in the kitchen. (This is uncompromising.)
3. An academic/intellectual. (Not so much anymore..)
4. A go-getter.
5. College educated.
6. Intelligent.
7. Cultured...isn't just another American girl. International perspective.
8. Religiously tolerant.
9. Moral...actively tries to be a good person.
10. And yes, smoking hot.

The problem with lists is that people grow and change...I don't want to limit her based on my preferences. These days it's just about chemistry and spark. If there's something about her, then I'm interested. If not, on to the next.
Why did #3 change? That is pretty fundamental for chemistry for me, at least the intellectual connection. That is one area I will never sacrifice, and #'s 5, 6 and 7.

My list is quite long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships