U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,863 posts, read 4,200,611 times
Reputation: 8816

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanMTL88 View Post
I wasn't voting for him anyway. Native Americans get disrespected by the government to this very day and Trump got salty because the reservations run more successful casinos. Sad part is many people share his views.
It's downright scary. Frightening. Yet, I'm not at all surprised.

 
Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,863 posts, read 4,200,611 times
Reputation: 8816
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, not. You live in a Manichaean world where if people don't agree with you, they are 100% wrong. Not much nuance to your simplistic kind of thinking.
Wait. There's supposed to be grey areas and nuance (in thinking) when it comes to issues such as oppression, discrimination, marginalization, hatred, and bigotry? You are absolutely right that I think world views or ideologies that champion these behaviors, beliefs and attitudes are flat out, unequivocally, wrong. Just like I'm sure people who champion these attitudes believe similarly about otherness, as evidenced by their policies based on specific brands of exclusivism.

ETA: You do realize there's a large subset of the population that already believes everyone outside their special club is wrong? This isn't a phenomenon amongst individuals who are intolerant of intolerance.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
22,968 posts, read 31,881,677 times
Reputation: 30269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The OP's friend dodged a bullet.

I've found that people who insist on conformity in political beliefs in their friends and romantic interests are narcissists at heart. They suffer from moral vanity, never considering that people who think differently might have a point. Further, they are usually deeply insecure and tend to be intellectually lazy, which is why they cannot entertain any view that doesn't gibe with their own. Instead, they spend their time socializing with people who validate their own worldview and only read news that does that same. You see it all time in people who read the Wall Street Journal, but won't touch a copy of the New York Times with tongs -- and vice versa.

Here's the thing. If you cannot have a respectful conversation with someone with whom you don't necessarily agree, then you're the one with the problem. Further, if you think that your viewpoint is the only moral or valid one, then excuse me while I check your forehead for lobotomy scars. Because you haven't learned to think for yourself. Instead, you just subcontract your thinking out to others.

And, finally, if you invest that much of your identity in your political viewpoints, then you are truly living a one-dimensional life. There are huge swaths of life that have nothing to do with politics. And the things that make someone a good partner in life have zip to do with one's political views. I mean, hey, my wife is considerably to the right of me. There are any number of issues where we don't agree.

But where we disagree pales in comparison to what we have in common. She is absolutely my favorite person in the world to have a conversation with hands down. And, funny, we don't spend too much time talking about politics.
I have to disagree when it comes to romantic partners. The big thing about a thing like a Trump supporter going out with a Sanders support will likely be a major clash in values when it comes to serious business like religious beliefs, raising kids, and managing money. It is one thing to not worry about your friend who votes Trump on how he manages his money because you don't live under his roof, another if your wife supports Trump since her financial attitude affects your life majorly. There is respectful conversation, yes, but when it comes to who you choose to love, be extremely discriminatory in who you give that power to if you have firm political beliefs because it is far bigger than Trump vs Clinton.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,863 posts, read 4,200,611 times
Reputation: 8816
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have to disagree when it comes to romantic partners. The big thing about a thing like a Trump supporter going out with a Sanders support will likely be a major clash in values when it comes to serious business like religious beliefs, raising kids, and managing money. It is one thing to not worry about your friend who votes Trump on how he manages his money because you don't live under his roof, another if your wife supports Trump since her financial attitude affects your life majorly. There is respectful conversation, yes, but when it comes to who you choose to love, be extremely discriminatory in who you give that power to if you have firm political beliefs because it is far bigger than Trump vs Clinton.
I actually don't think Trump is religious, but he's doing a fine job pandering to the common folk of the GOP base. He's a smart man that knows who to pander to and what to say to garner support. I'm reluctant to believe he believes in what he's campaigning, but his supporters believe it, and that's a problem.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM
 
1,166 posts, read 501,940 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltonmountain View Post
He told me she posted a status on facebook saying "its sad when you like someone but then you dont becuase you find out their political beliefs"

He messaged her and saying "you think differently of me because im a republican?" and she said"yes i do and i dont think we should go out", he said "wow that's the lamest reason I have ever heard" and she said "republicans dont care about people"

My friend told her "being republican doesn't make me a bad person, I would view you as a bad person for this, have a nice life"
Why is this an issue? The woman decided that he was not a compatible match for her and decided not to waste either of their time on a relationship that was going nowhere. Political beliefs are an important part of someone's personality and likely not to change much over time. Just like someone that is very religious not matching up well with someone that is not, differing political beliefs are just not a good fit most of the time.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 PM
 
1,166 posts, read 501,940 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so in other words, you tolerant liberals like to force people into your political view points or you will have nothing to do with them. for you its you believe my way or you hit the highway pal.

you claim that most republicans are racist, but you offer NO proof other than your EX was a racist. you claim that most republicans are homophobes, again offering NO proof except that your EX was one. you also claim to listen to ones beliefs, and then you proclaim someone who doesnt believe like you do to be racist, homophobe, etc.

i feel sorry for people like you, on both sides of the isle by the way, who are so closed minded that they refuse to even truly listen to what other believe and why they believe such.



thats ok, i dont date other men anyway.

Thanks for providing a great case in point of why some people don't want to date conservative Republicans. Can you imagine being in a relationship with someone like this poster?
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 PM
 
Location: New Yawk
8,643 posts, read 4,766,488 times
Reputation: 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It's excessive to you. Why would you assume it's the same for others? This does not compute. I can say the same thing about the reverse. That dating someone who shares a completely different world view makes no sense. At all. I mean, I know it works for some people.

It just would not work for me and a lot of people in my social circle. We all know, or should know, world views are not just a "specific political issue." World views, ideologies, especially the kind that influence political policies, are far more than one or two issues, and these world views can absolutely affect how an individual interacts with the world and other people.

I can better understand this in the context of friendships, because I don't have to live with the person, interact with him/her on a daily, regular, basis, and raise children with that person. These aren't *just* simple issues to some of us. I don't regard policies and beliefs that marginalizes, oppresses and discriminates against minority groups or "others" as simple matters. Considering I fall into these groups and have friends and families that are affected by these beliefs, attitudes, behaviors, and policies.
I was speaking for myself.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
5,281 posts, read 4,543,307 times
Reputation: 13274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you claim that most republicans are racist, but you offer NO proof other than your EX was a racist. you claim that most republicans are homophobes, again offering NO proof except that your EX was one. you also claim to listen to ones beliefs, and then you proclaim someone who doesnt believe like you do to be racist, homophobe, etc.
Uh, no, didn't say that. I said "Too often, Republican=Racist." That in no way implies that I think MOST republicans are racist. I think it is demonstrated to me too often for comfort. Where did you learn to read?

There are plenty of Democrats who are racist also. Yep, I said that. No proof offered or needed (This is not a court of law, dude, it's just a forum)

My comments re: my husband don't apply to all Republicans. They were in no way meant to be proof of anything. They merely explain why I, having experienced a rocky relationship, might be skittish about dating a man who has Republican views.

I have friends who are Republicans. And I have dated men with Republican views. I don't have a problem with giving them a shot. Sometimes I'm not interested in them because they spout some political BS, and sometimes I'm just not interested in them.

Yay! It's a free country! I can date whoever I want! And I'll defend to the death your right to do the same.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:25 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,911,068 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's the chief objection I have to people who offer up such an all-or-none morality. Because in their frantic rush to demonstrate open-mindedness and egalitarianism, they turn around and wallow in lazy stereotypes of those who don't necessarily share their views. They cannot imagine how someone might share the same long-term objectives for our society, but see a completely different path to arrive there.
Suggesting that Muslims need to be on a national registry and wear identifying symbols do not jive with the long-term objectives I have for my country, no.
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
5,281 posts, read 4,543,307 times
Reputation: 13274
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
thanks for providing a great case in point of why some people don't want to date conservative republicans. Can you imagine being in a relationship with someone like this poster?
rotflmao!:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top