Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times

Advertisements

I'm liberal. Some conservatives are great, and some liberals are not. It's not a simple decision when it comes to dating, as it depends on the individual and their specific views and how they compare to mine and to what degree. However, a bigot of any kind is a deal breaker.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 PM

513 posts, read 429,049 times
Well, politics plays heavy in some people's lives. And for some, let's it define their very existence. Best to breakup than to have constant "political battles" later on down the line. Shouldn't have to be this way, but it happens sometimes. Your friend will find someone better.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Interesting, my daughter was a liberal when she as in college, voted for Obama. She just recently told me she changed her voter registration to Republican, although she probably won't vote for Trump, but she is a business owner and doesn't want to pay lots of taxes.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltonmountain View Post
He told me she posted a status on facebook saying "its sad when you like someone but then you dont becuase you find out their political beliefs"

He messaged her and saying "you think differently of me because im a republican?" and she said"yes i do and i dont think we should go out", he said "wow that's the lamest reason I have ever heard" and she said "republicans dont care about people"

My friend told her "being republican doesn't make me a bad person, I would view you as a bad person for this, have a nice life"
Okay so what is the point here?

Welcome to the world of dating where you can get turned down for any reason. You and your friend should deal with it and move on to the next person.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Your political beliefs say a lot about your central values,what's important to you,what you believe about life and people,I think it's very important if you're going to be with someone.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Perhaps there was more detail on the Facebook page that supported her decision.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, but I am a Democrat, and it seems to me that too often Republican=Racist. Plus Republicans often dismiss me for being a Democrat without actually listening to my beliefs. When I listen to their beliefs, it's always stuff based on a lack of information or just plain misinformation. (I'm a stickler for having all the facts before deciding anything) There are lots of things I haven't decided about because I don't know much about them (I realize that not all Democrats are like me).

Plus, my ex-husband is constantly sneering at me for being a Democrat and I know for sure he is a racist and a republican and a homophobe and a birther, for lords sake I'm embarrassed to admit I was married to him.

So, generally speaking, I can get along fine with most Republicans in a social setting or work environment, but I don't want to date one.

i don't think I would feel a need to call a guy out on his Facebook page about it, though. I would probably just have cancelled the plans without saying why or at most sent a direct message.
People like labels. It helps categorize them into a group. The problem is, I may share views with one group or the other. Our system likes to push you in one corner or the other.

Next thing you know you're being called (by a grown man that is) a "homophobe", racist, etc all because you share a particular philosophy. It's pretty darn silly how adults can act and speak like they're five as they insult the other person for their belief.

I find that people that are hyper political tend to act pretty ridiculous so I'm turned off by them in general. Who's going to win the Massachusetts primary? Let's listen to two very dry boring people discuss it for two hours on the news (can't mention which news outlet or people will start labeling conservative/ liberal.)

It's like we're watching a WWF match.. Donald Trump vs Hilary Clinton.. << Now there is some good comedy material for standup.

To answer the OP, yes one's view on politics in general can very much be a turn off. I'm in the "both parties have sold us out" camp" as they work for special interests.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Honestly, I'd have a very tough time dating a conservative. I can relate to that feeling. I don't think it's totally nuts or anything, personally.

Some things are deal breakers. We all have them. They vary from person to person. This one particular issue is a deal breaker for this woman and actually, it's no light thing. Politics truly can be divisive, they are a serious hot topic for some. She identified this and isn't trying to force it. She isn't wasting the guy's time. I think that is for the best.

I'd be willing to bet the Cliff's Notes version the OP outlined didn't go exactly that way and that more was said, but I can't say that for sure, I wasn't there. I do know when people are upset they sometimes "recall" things in a way that makes the rejector look like the devil. So OP, I'd take that description with a grain of salt. Few people really would say something THAT narrow, unless they're 10.

But either way, Republican is a deal breaker for her...and he shouldn't push it.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My personal politics are reflective of my values. I can see not entertaining the thought of potentially starting something with someone whose values are incompatible with mine.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Your political beliefs say a lot about your central values,what's important to you,what you believe about life and people,I think it's very important if you're going to be with someone.
Maybe.

But not really.

My ex who cheated on everyone she was ever with, falsified lab data to get published, and talked s*** behind everyone's back?
Democrat.
My ex who hit a car in a parking lot and didn't leave a note?
Democrat.
My colleague who used to return old merchandise in new boxes and keep the new stuff?
Democrat.

You may have lofty philosophies about how the world can or shoukd be, but how you are as a person, how good you are, your character and real values...they are in your everyday behavior, and they totally transcend political affiliation.

Political affiliation and values have NOTHING to do with each other.

Some of the biggest dirt bags I know are "Christian" conservative Republicans. So religion is irrelevant, too.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe.

But not really.

My ex who cheated on everyone she was ever with, falsified lab data to get published, and talked s*** behind everyone's back?
Democrat.
My ex who hit a car in a parking lot and didn't leave a note?
Democrat.
My colleague who used to return old merchandise in new boxes and keep the new stuff?
Democrat.

You may have lofty philosophies about how the world can or shoukd be, but how you are as a person, how good you are, your character and real values...they are in your everyday behavior, and they totally transcend political affiliation.

Political affiliation and values have NOTHING to do with each other.

Some of the biggest dirt bags I know are "Christian" conservative Republicans. So religion is irrelevant, too.
Wow.

What a crafty and creative way to bash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships