Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:19 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The military operates like any other community/employer. There are admins, tech support, HR type roles, PR people, recruiters, trainers, maintenance people, mechanics, food service, postal service, counselors, chaplains, medical professionals, engineers, etc.
Well that's a crappy action movie!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, not so formal. "You see that slim young thing eying you up? You know what she sees? DEERS and TRICARE. She wants babies and you will do. She just wants to start weight 200 lbs as soon as possible and once she gets you, Uncle Sam will make sure you take care of her forever even if you have to live in a cardboard box!"
Quote:
It's not part of psych evaluation. It's just senior leadership saying look, here are the typical pitfalls to steer clear of.
Oh, bummer. I mean, it's better than nothing, but (I think) you're saying it's more like, "mentorly advice" than a more formal part of orientation. I got it.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
OP:

Show up at Fleet Week. Here we have PacRim.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2016, 12:00 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
OP:

Show up at Fleet Week. Here we have PacRim.
When I lived in San Francisco the gay bars seemed to be really hopping with guys in white during fleet week.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
You sound desperate. I hope you don't trap any military man.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 PM

741 posts, read 478,454 times
Quote:
Yeah, not so formal. "You see that slim young thing eying you up? You know what she sees? DEERS and TRICARE. She wants babies and you will do. She just wants to start weight 200 lbs as soon as possible and once she gets you, Uncle Sam will make sure you take care of her forever even if you have to live in a cardboard box!"

I dunno. Stuff like that. I always like the Marines stance "If we want you to have a GF we will ISSUE you one"
But I don't want that I can support myself and that's why they would like me

Old 03-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Comparison is the thief of joy.

I still have no clue how you are getting a Masters in SW and NONE of your professors have picked up on it? Sorry, I just don't by that what over 50+ different strangers on the Internet have picked up on what your professors haven't.

I don't understand how you expect to be a clinician or a therapist and help others if you don't help yourself first. And I know your standard response is you can be a great therapist without yourself getting therapy.

I really hope this is sarcasm.

Yupp, and when they get back form deployment they get warned again.

And yet even the most blunt of an approach doesn't always work. You can't fix stupid.

I will admit though, I've heard some pretty crazy stories and a few outright horror stories.
I currently do therapy. Also I'm in therapy. My professors don't know my life I go to class and go home

Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It really depends on the specifics of the role of the serviceman/woman within military structure as to how hard it is on a day-to-day basis. Our life isn't very impacted right now, because he's a reserve chief. But even active duty, we weren't apart because it was shore duty, instructor billets, etc. All his deployments were before we met, and he volunteered for them. When we've moved, it's been because he volunteered for orders. There are still scheduling inconveniences, but it's not been a hardship. It really does vary quite widely. He didn't miss our son's birth, got to schedule training around it, etc. I have a portable career, so PCSing isn't the doom it could be, plus I can work on bases.

There are milspouses who are nonstop drama, yes. Go lurk on a milspouse forum and watch the crazy. But there are loads of normal people with solid marriages, too. Usually the ones who aren't children themselves and lived other adult lives before marrying into the military.
Exactly I could be a military spouse and be fine

Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
Exactly I could be a military spouse and be fine
How do you know?

Old 03-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Hmm. I was in NYC this weekend and soon as I stepped off my train, I saw many military men standing around like they were guarding stores and ish. I have no clue why they were there. I was dressed in sweats, gym shoes, no make up, and had my hair in a messy bun. My son was in tow. Tell me why I got hollered at by these men? They were first oogling me like I was a peice of meat, and then like three different ones walked over to me and tried to ask me if I needed help. Granted I did(was lost asf) but i put on my b**** face and refused their help. they were just too thirsty. I don't consider myself a dime, but I know I'm above average in attractiveness even without looking dolled up--so I wasn't surprised that they were interested, even with my son with me lolz. But the thirst was too real and they were acting like they hadn't seen a woman in a while, which was strange since there were many other women around(many attractive ones) I felt like they were drawn to my dressed-down, single mom, lost-helpless-look, because that is exactly how I looked lol!!!!

take that to say that getting one of these men doesn't seem like it would be complicated if your attractive enough, look harmless and nice, and give off an aura of needing to be saved, and are in a location where there is an abundance of them. This is just my experience(as it happened again when I left New York to go to Philly and had to go through the same station). I don't believe all of them are this way by a long shot. I can see why you want a military man though, from what I know they tend to marry and settle down quickly.

Good luck op.

Being handicap couldwork for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships