Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I'm with your husband on this one...
Why do you want to get mired in car payments, just for the sake of having a new car? As he said, you just don't know what kind of financial hardships your neighbors are going through, just to keep their (newer) cars.

Your car is running strong, right? Save your money, run your car 'til it dies, then worry about getting a new car! Fingers crossed, by that time, you'll have enough saved up to pay cash outright and not finance and get stuck with payments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Your post about the husband not letting you drive his truck didn't mention that you want to give your car to your lazy son.

Is there a single week in you life when you are not arguing with your husband about some issue involving your do nothing son or some other petty issue?

Old 03-29-2016, 03:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Just out of curiosity... if you were buying a new car, who would be paying for it?

Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Only in America will a couple argue about whether to have two or three cars for just two people.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say no, your husband is not right. It makes absolutely no sense to spend the money not only on purchasing a "spare," but insuring it, too. Just replace whichever car is worse, which I suspect is yours.

Also, not for nothing, but renting a car for a few days here and there if one of your cars has to be in the shop or you want to take an out-of-state road trip is surely going to be much cheaper than purchasing and insuring a third car just to have it there.

And how on earth is not driving the Kia letting it die, but not driving the spare okay?

I suspect your husband just doesn't want you to have a nicer car than his. But he doesn't want to give you his car and buy a nicer one for himself either, because he's probably thinking of that divorce that is bound to happen sooner or later and doesn't want you to try to take it. It's easier to just have three clunkers, with you driving around in a POS so that when you do get divorced, you can take his POS and he gets to keep the nicer "spare."

As for your son, given the backstory, I would not give him so much as a hubcap.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Only in America will a couple argue about whether to have two or three cars for just two people.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say no, your husband is not right. It makes absolutely no sense to spend the money not only on purchasing a "spare," but insuring it, too. Just replace whichever car is worse, which I suspect is yours.

Also, not for nothing, but renting a car for a few days here and there if one of your cars has to be in the shop or you want to take an out-of-state road trip is surely going to be much cheaper than purchasing and insuring a third car just to have it there.

And how on earth is not driving the Kia letting it die, but not driving the spare okay?

I suspect your husband just doesn't want you to have a nicer car than his. He'd rather have you drive around in a POS with a replaced engine, but he doesn't want to give you his car and buy a nicer one for himself either, because he's probably thinking of that divorce that is bound to happen sooner or later and doesn't want you to try to take it.

As for your son, given the backstory, I would not give him so much as a hubcap.
I think this is spot on.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:58 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Whatever you post on here, OP the husband/other person is right, Lol.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I think this is spot on.
Maybe it's the lingering effects of the car culture of Long Island, but in my humble estimation and experience, more than a few men have issues with a wife having a better car than they do, and they will sleep in a cardboard box after a divorce as long as they get to keep their car--or just sleep in the car!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
OP: The actual truth of this situation you have already stated is that you want a different vehicle for the sole purpose of giving your son your current vehicle.
Your husband is right, you are wrong and I am glad I recently bought popcorn from our Grandson's and their Scouts Troop.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
I have 16 cars ranging from a 70 Maverick built in Sept. 69 to a 94 Taurus GL. Stop whining.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Your husband is right, you are wrong. New cars are a waste of money. You can get a much better deal if you can find a privately owned newer/used car with low miles. Just look for someone for sale on the street. That's where I got mine. I purchased a 2009 Mercury Grand Marques with leather, 20,000 miles for only 12K. The elderly lady had only driven it around town and it was pristine. Great car, and runs perfect. We now have 55k miles on it and all we've done is change the oil and replace 2 tires. Its great for trips, has a huge trunk and very safe, and still get 25 mpg on the highway.

Especially for young people starting out and struggling to get established in life, a new car is a waste of Precious resorces. Its about keeping up your status when you buy new. Its not a very practical realistic choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships