U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 PM

25,414 posts, read 24,177,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Men that don't have other options or quite simply love the gal will and do put up with it

Plus what's high maintenance to you wont be to another fellow...... Worth considering mate
That's a good point...what's high maintenance? I mean okay, if the woman literally requires flowers thrown at her feet every time they have a date that would be high maintenance, or if she requires trips to Paris at every turn of the seasons (provided he doesn't want that as well), can't really argue with these exmples. But barring extremes, every person will have different comfort levels with this category. There's a post above where the boyfriend apparently thinks it's a huge chore literally to just sing "happy birthday," much less actually get a gift. That apparently is HIS idea of "high maintenance." You know?

And then there are some people who love to do for others. It makes *them* feel good. He might love to open her door and feel very manly and romantic doing it. She might love to give him little gifts. Yet the next person might think wanting such things would constitute a serious imposition, even usury...and "high maintenance."

So sometimes you might shake your head at another couple, yet they're both perfectly happy.

This is really, IMO, about *your comfort level*, full stop...no matter what that is. If *you feel* pushed around and disrespected then SOMETHING'S not right...but what's not right may simply be that you're not a match and you think very different things are important and necessary. It doesn't mean one of you is "wrong," per se. It doesn't have to mean she's a princess or you're cheap and not manly, or whatever. It is just not a match.

The reasons why people stay have pretty much already been covered but I felt LC made such a good point there that I wanted to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:20 PM

912 posts, read 539,751 times
Because there are a lot of superficial people out there who select their partners based solely on appearance and not on anything else. Because it's more important to have a hot piece of arm candy than a person who may be average looking and is also a wonderful person in general.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:20 PM

1,342 posts, read 583,391 times
Often it's because they are dating out of their league.
if a guy is a solid 4 maybe a 6 on a good day and can normally attract a 5(with much effort) and the hottest he has been with was maybe a 7(as a rebound for a week 5 years ago), if a guy like that manages to land a 9 or 10 he will put up with all kinds of BS from her because he knows the odds of him ever finding another girl who is as hott, every time he gets fed up his mind will flash back images of the girls he attracted before her, and he will lower his head and hold his tongue.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 PM

857 posts, read 404,500 times
I tend to take awhile, usually at least an hour, to get ready. My boyfriend is a patient man. He understands that I like to look good when we go out together. I also treat him really well and absolutely adore him, which is mutual. I mean, no one's perfect. He amuses himself while I get ready, and then enjoys the arm candy when we finally hit the town together. I can feel him beaming with pride lol.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 PM

8,225 posts, read 6,562,372 times
Becuase "they want to make it work"
Whatever that entails depends solely on why they want someone in their lives

Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,095,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
I have recently come to the realization that I just can't do it anymore...

I have dated several women that were high maintenance. The biggest problem here is that I myself can be impatient. Having to wait 3 hours for someone to get ready, to be late all the time, and to be pushed aside for what someone else considers "more important things" is just wrong. They always seem to be very much into themselves and you cannot depend on them for when things go bad. And all this for (if you are lucky) mediocre sex?

Why do guys put up with this? I just can't anymore...

I don't know what annoys me more..that or the men that put up with it.
Why do you keep dating high maintenance women? There is something about them that attracts you or you wouldn't have dated "several" of them, you would have stopped after one.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,016,445 times
Ambivalence.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:17 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Because there are a lot of superficial people out there who select their partners based solely on appearance and not on anything else. Because it's more important to have a hot piece of arm candy than a person who may be average looking and is also a wonderful person in general.
People who are high maintenance looks wise can also be wonderful people.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 PM

8,225 posts, read 6,562,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
People who are high maintenance looks wise can also be wonderful people.
When they available...

Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
When they available...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or