U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 AM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times

Advertisements

I LIKE to primp before a night out, but I'm always on time.

Both of my husbands were the ones who always made/make us late. That doesn't make them HM.

But JerZ gave me an idea:

Send my husband to Sephora. Tell him it's urgent. Only give instructions: Black eyeliner. Turn off phone.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM

25,383 posts, read 24,162,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I LIKE to primp before a night out, but I'm always on time.

Both of my husbands were the ones who always made/make us late. That doesn't make them HM.

But JerZ gave me an idea:

Send my husband to Sephora. Tell him it's urgent. Only give instructions: Black eyeliner. Turn off phone.
Wait...some people don't already do this???

Anyway...I too might primp, depending upon my mood, how fancy the occasion is or whatever, and yes, I start early so I'm on time (I'm always on time) and in between, I'm generally getting the kids ready for something...if they're coming with, I'm getting everyone brushed, deodorized and dressed like little men instead of little cavemen; if a sitter, I'm prepping snacks and so on.

But whether I take five-ish minutes to get ready (my usual) or an hour, I'm making sure I'm on time. If I use waaaaaaaaaay more makeup than usual and take an entire hour, am I high maintenance even though I imposed on nobody's time, took care of all my responsibilities in plenty of time as well and am (generally) still probably the first one ready? After all, I took a WHOLE HOUR (which really is quite a bit of time, if you think about it) and put layers of makeup on and am dressed to the nines.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Really? Quite sad to think a lady would sleep with a bloke just as a favour.

if a woman finds YOU attractive they will put the effort in and go for it during sex regardless of how attractive THEY are.

Ive found the complete opposite of what you said to be true if honest, and if anything the more beautiful/stunning they are the harder they work during sex as they are more confident about themselves, Plus seeing me enjoying it won't do any harm either
You're interpreting what I said as a blanket statement. Its not. Thus the terms "sometimes" and " can".
Stunning looks aren't the only factor in someone having the attitude I described. Social status, upbringing and a host of other traits a involved. General lifestyle is a contributing factor, and I've seen that shape personality in varying ways.

To shore up what you've said , here in hour reply, I do know an absolutely stunning woman, who I became friends with via our boys, who raced motorcycles together and were as inseparable as Tonto and the Lone Ranger. She was pretty much a "trophy wife" of a successful local attorney, who was known as a bit of a player. A more than competent attorney herself, she often became ...disillusioned...with the "higher society" life, hobnobbing with highly placed people in the community, playing the role , as itt were. The simple things, taking our boys to the practice track, or even fishing at the bass pond and such, were her escapes. Hanging out with me was a 180 flip from her regular life.

She limed throwing on some beat up jeans, pulling her hair into a pony and slapping on a ball cap. She was certainly not all diamonds and evening wear. I was her doorway to simple things. A scarred up working stiff of a country boy, far removed from any upper society. Truthfully, even in faded jeans a t shirt and ball cap, she was still a gorgeous lady. Lol, more so in such raiment to a guy like me. Despite the simplicity of our interactions, things ended up kinda complicated. I'll refrain from being descriptive, but, your post covers a lot. On the flip side of my other post, sometimes stunning, higher placed women, cannot be sized up by those factors. Looks and a swank lifestyle can be a prison for them. Under the qlitz, is a totally unexpected person.

Others are conceited, aloof, and disdainful of more common people, some are far from it. When circumstances allow you to get a look inside the latter type, it can put some perspective on things. Perhaps this type of woman is a rarer breed, but I can't say with any certainty what the percentage might be. This was my sole experience with such a person. But, the insight gained leads me to believe there are as many like her as the polar opposite. It was not my intention to stereotype, though I understand d how it could have been taken thus. My bad, I reckon.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 AM

6,908 posts, read 4,229,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I think it's interesting that there is an assumption between high maintenance and good looks. That is not always the case. Some great looking women are high maintenance but some aren't. And just because a woman is average looking doesn't mean she's sweet and all sunshine and rainbows she could be, but that's not always true. Same goes for all this crap about being good in bed.

AKA, the old cliche, "you can't judge a book by it's cover."

Each person is an individual and high maintenance is about attitude and expectations... not looks, not how much time it takes to do her hair, or any of that stuff. To me it seems like it's more about them being self centered. Their needs and wants come first, before anyone else.

Now, as to why some men date them, I haven't a clue. Seems like too much drama and work. But if I've learned anything in my 40+ years, some people seem to thrive off of drama. So maybe men who date HM women are just drama kings.
This.

What's high maintenance? Regular mani/pedi, makeup, visits to the salon, designer duds, etc., or is it more of an attitude?

I guess in some respects I can be high maintenance with respect to certain routines (that aren't so routine now), but in other ways, I'm definitely not. I have to be in the mood to wear makeup, and it may take me 30 minutes to get ready.

I tend to think it's more of an attitude or behavior than specific beauty routines and practices.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:10 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
go back to basic b*tches then...then you will complain that they don't care about their appearance, they are boring, blah blah.....men are never satisfied...they want a hot chick but then complain about how high maintenance they are...
Exactly. Men put up with high-maintenance women because they believe they deserve a trophy. When the trophy turns out to be too expensive, or has a difficult personality, or demands too much expenditure, they complain bitterly, without realizing that's pretty much the package they chose. Not all trophy types have personality issues, but if a guy keeps running into that time and again, he should re-examine his priorities, not write off an entire gender, as many tend to do.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
This.

What's high maintenance? Regular mani/pedi, makeup, visits to the salon, designer duds, etc., or is it more of an attitude?

Regular mani/pedi used to be for special occasions, mainly, if at all. It's only in the last 20 years or so that it's been pushed as a regular thing. The result of that has been nail salons springing up everywhere using illegal foreign labor paid exploitive hourly rates well below minimum wage. It's lead to human trafficking and slavery in the more extreme cases, and there's a growing percentage of those extreme cases. This never existed before because the demand simply wasn't there. It didn't cross most people's minds that manicures should be a regular thing. Few wealthy people ever got mani/pedis; it's a phenom that mostly sprang from the cheesy Hollywood glamour.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:20 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,121,575 times
This thread is so funny. So many opinions about high maintenance - what it means, how attractive someone is based on this, how good in bed someone is based on this, how much drama they cause because of this, how desperate someone must be to be with them because of this, etc.

I consider my mother-in-law to be high maintenance. She takes about an hour to get ready everyday. She spends a lot of time on her manicured nails everyday. She wears a ton of make up. I always thought that my father-in-law merely put up with all this but I have come to realize that he appreciates all of this. He likes the way she looks. He likes her nails. Now, luckily, my husband has different taste than his father because I don't wear a ton of make up, take a long time to get ready, or care about my nails. But while I consider my mother-in-law to be high maintenance and a bit much, my father-in-law seems to greatly appreciate what she does.

To each their own.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Why do guys put up with this? I just can't anymore...

I don't know what annoys me more..that or the men that put up with it.
First of all: Why would the things that other men put up with impact or concern you at all?

Next, I haven't really had to put up with that sort of thing thusfar in my life, but I tend to be drawn to people who apparently aren't that way. I would put up with it if it was worth it, tho. Depends on the person.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I would put up with it if it was worth it, tho. Depends on the person.

Genius in two sentences.

That's what it comes down to, right? It's the same for everyone, with every thing: romantic partners, friends, employment, where to get coffee this morning, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM

13,509 posts, read 11,042,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
This thread is so funny. So many opinions about high maintenance - what it means, how attractive someone is based on this, how good in bed someone is based on this, how much drama they cause because of this, how desperate someone must be to be with them because of this, etc.

I consider my mother-in-law to be high maintenance. She takes about an hour to get ready everyday. She spends a lot of time on her manicured nails everyday. She wears a ton of make up. I always thought that my father-in-law merely put up with all this but I have come to realize that he appreciates all of this. He likes the way she looks. He likes her nails. Now, luckily, my husband has different taste than his father because I don't wear a ton of make up, take a long time to get ready, or care about my nails. But while I consider my mother-in-law to be high maintenance and a bit much, my father-in-law seems to greatly appreciate what she does.

To each their own.
Personally, its no different than a guy who spends a lot of time and money at the gym building a physique strictly to attract women.

I don't know, folks....but I find it really simplistic- stop dating people you're not happy/compatible with. And seriously.....there's no reason to even biitch about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or