Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 PM

147 posts, read 93,191 times

Advertisements

Lack of options/low self-esteem. Also, since many high maintenance people are physically attractive it's also a form of status for the other party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,176,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I took that to mean, they HM ones who also have great personalities will already have partners. Thus the only HM ones left over are gonna be the ones that be be hot, but have crappy personalities, which is why they're available.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:28 PM

1,199 posts, read 728,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Because there are a lot of superficial people out there who select their partners based solely on appearance and not on anything else. Because it's more important to have a hot piece of arm candy than a person who may be average looking and is also a wonderful person in general.
Wanting a highly physically attractive partner isn't about arm candy, at least not for me. The more physically attractive, normally, the hotter the sex.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,819,019 times
I had one of those for over 7 years. I put up with being told how lucky I was for her to be with me. I was always being told who or how many people hit on her every week, how she needed money for this or that "to keep looking good" for me, she never used her job money If she did have one for a few weeks for money to help with bills at the house. It was "her" money, imagine that? She was always in some crisis that needed some moral or monetary support from me. I couldn't fully 100% trust men I knew around her, I sure hated to see her go, but, I now have a lady I'm married to for over 27 years now and very happy.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,118,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Wanting a highly physically attractive partner isn't about arm candy, at least not for me. The more physically attractive, normally, the hotter the sex.
Is it because you are more attracted to her or because you are positing that the more attractive a woman is, the better she is in bed?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM

147 posts, read 93,191 times
Quote:

Good looks =\= good lay.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,290,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
I have recently come to the realization that I just can't do it anymore...

I have dated several women that were high maintenance. The biggest problem here is that I myself can be impatient. Having to wait 3 hours for someone to get ready, to be late all the time, and to be pushed aside for what someone else considers "more important things" is just wrong. They always seem to be very much into themselves and you cannot depend on them for when things go bad. And all this for (if you are lucky) mediocre sex?

Why do guys put up with this? I just can't anymore...

I don't know what annoys me more..that or the men that put up with it.
Funny you ask "why?" (you should know) you're one of these men that has put up with it?

Tell us why you've put up with it, OP? I only assume, its out of desperation?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,286,411 times
Low self-esteem, low self worth, and possibly she's amazing in bed.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

28 posts, read 26,964 times
They have no respect for themselves.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:00 PM

404 posts, read 365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
This. Plenty of men and women stay with princess, jerks, or abusers.

Why? Self-esteem, sex, not wanting to be single, ego-boost, etc.
God no, If I hear the word Princess, then I am out of there! lol, no kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Why do a lot people put up with less than favorable circumstances?

Most of the time is low self esteem or the belief they can't get anything better. There is always a choice.
I think you are right.

Quote:
Yeah. The type of guys that stay with the type of woman you describe are likely inexperienced pushovers just happy to be with a woman.
Yes, I think you are right 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's a good point...what's high maintenance? I mean okay, if the woman literally requires flowers thrown at her feet every time they have a date that would be high maintenance, or if she requires trips to Paris at every turn of the seasons (provided he doesn't want that as well), can't really argue with these exmples. But barring extremes, every person will have different comfort levels with this category. There's a post above where the boyfriend apparently thinks it's a huge chore literally to just sing "happy birthday," much less actually get a gift. That apparently is HIS idea of "high maintenance." You know?

And then there are some people who love to do for others. It makes *them* feel good. He might love to open her door and feel very manly and romantic doing it. She might love to give him little gifts. Yet the next person might think wanting such things would constitute a serious imposition, even usury...and "high maintenance."

So sometimes you might shake your head at another couple, yet they're both perfectly happy.

This is really, IMO, about *your comfort level*, full stop...no matter what that is. If *you feel* pushed around and disrespected then SOMETHING'S not right...but what's not right may simply be that you're not a match and you think very different things are important and necessary. It doesn't mean one of you is "wrong," per se. It doesn't have to mean she's a princess or you're cheap and not manly, or whatever. It is just not a match.

The reasons why people stay have pretty much already been covered but I felt LC made such a good point there that I wanted to comment.

Wow Jerz, you really gave me some food for thought on this one. I think that's the issue. I don't mind doing for others, but I do want it reciprocated and a lot of times it is not. I really did like your examples. Thanks for the awesome answer/post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I tend to take awhile, usually at least an hour, to get ready. My boyfriend is a patient man. He understands that I like to look good when we go out together. I also treat him really well and absolutely adore him, which is mutual. I mean, no one's perfect. He amuses himself while I get ready, and then enjoys the arm candy when we finally hit the town together. I can feel him beaming with pride lol.
Oh, I can handle an hour..but 2 is pushing it..and 3 is just unacceptable. On my other post, I mentioned my friends friend..she would take 3 hours to get ready, that's just too much. If they were going out to the club, it would be midnight before they got there, at that time, theres really no point in going tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
People who are high maintenance looks wise can also be wonderful people.
No. Being high maintenance looks wise or just in general ends up showing a lack of respect for the time for the other person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
When they available...
True that! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships