Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Having experienced this myself once upon a time many moons ago, I'm wondering if she's late because she's coming from one class and rushing out to get to the next one or to get to work. If that's the case, trying to talk catch her before or after is only going to fluster her further.

Normally, I'd advocate going up and talking to her but coming in late and rushing out doesn't sound like you'd be in the best environment to do so. I'd go the FB route. However, given you aren't FB friends, there is the chance she won't see the message. I believe the "other" messages (now called something else) can only be seen from the desktop version and not the mobile app, but I could be wrong about that.
That's a good point about her being flustered or maybe in a rush.

Op maybe the best thing is to try to sit next to her. You know she sits by the door so sit there too. Then slowly strike up mini conversations. Talk to her at least a couple of times before asking her out so she gets to know you a tad. Absolute zero cold approaches can feel very awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Facebook asking out is stupid and doesn't work if you don't have prior, verbal interactions with the person. Just smile and say hi a couple times, then make your move, no reason to not do it like this. Cowardly ask outs are a complete turnoff for females.
Dood, did you read the part where he said she comes into class late, and sits by the door so she can rush out before everyone else? There's no hope of saying hi under those circumstances unless he chances to run into her in the cafeteria, or elsewhere. Otherwise I agree that an anonymous FB ask-out won't work. He needs to bring signal flags to class and wave 'em around, or send up a flare, or something.

OK, I was kidding with the last bit, but if they've been making eye contact in class, he can use that and build on it with a smile and a wave, or something, Anything.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with you completely. Nothing endearing about being in close proximity but choosing to hide behind technology instead. Not creepy, but silly and juvenile.
Yeah I'm all for naughty texting or direct messaging ( LMAO! ) but to actually ask one out it has to be face to face or if they are not in close proximity ring and ask

So yup! I agree with you completely also .....

Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh for God's sake.

NO, OP, do NOT say "Hey, we've never ever spoken before, how about this Friday I ply you with alcohol?" (Or to be less facetious, "Hi! My name is X! What's yours? Oh, that's nice! Hey, how about you come with me to a bar on Friday?" OMG nope nope nope, LOL. I guarantee that will be a shoot-down no matter how you try to couch it...)

Coffee. Something easy, something potentially quick if you both end up not being into it, something casual, something in daylight hours with no alcohol-induced date rape potential (total utter stranger has NEVER said literally one word to her, now wants to go get her drunk, you do the math) in the back of her mind. Please. Just trust me on this one...

If she knows it's just coffee, then even if she's really on the fence about going out with you, it will be casual enough that you probably have a better chance of her saying yes.
I was thinking the "alcohol only" post was facetious, but in view of one of the subsequent posts that supported that, I'm only amazed at the cluelessness. For one thing, we don't even know if the people in question are old enough to get into bars. And "spice things up"? If they're into each other (making eye contact across the classroom fairly regularly, according to the OP), they don't need help spicing things up. If you need alcohol to spice things up, you're already on the losing side; you're in bad shape.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-08-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 09:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
I wasn't a drinker in undergrad, but I really wonder if some people here ever went to college. Since when to college kids need to be of age to get into bars or go drinking. Seriously.

And yeah, lots and lots of college romances started from party hook ups where people reduced their inhibitions a little. Nothing wrong with that. It's part of college life.

I, of course, being a total science and music dork in college that didn't drink or smoke weed meant I barely had any social life at that time period.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM

The OP isn't talking about going to a party with his classmate, though. He's talking about getting up the nerve to ask her to something low key where they'll be able to talk and get to know each other. After they decide they want to hang out regularly, or "date" , he can invite her to be his partner in crime and go to a bar, if they're both into that, but given the circumstances, a coffee date, cafeteria/lunch meet, pizza place (where alcohol might be an option, if they're so inclined) seems best.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP isn't talking about going to a party with his classmate, though. He's talking about getting up the nerve to ask her to something low key where they'll be able to talk and get to know each other.
Well, in my day that was pretty much code for pulling tubes and listening to Phish live sets. I don't know what the equivalent is now.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:43 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, in my day that was pretty much code for pulling tubes and listening to Phish live sets. I don't know what the equivalent is now.
Netflix and chill?

There are days I'm really glad I'm no longer in my 20's.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Netflix and chill?

There are days I'm really glad I'm no longer in my 20's.
Ha, I was totally schooled last month by a lady friend "timber, you know when a woman says lets watch netflix and chill it means she wants to F you"... durrr, I'm slow.

I'm totally glad I'm not in my 20s now, the kids today get (blank) for music.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:50 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ha, I was totally schooled last month by a lady friend "timber, you know when a woman says lets watch netflix and chill it means she wants to F you"... durrr, I'm slow.

I'm totally glad I'm not in my 20s now, the kids today get (blank) for music.
LOL I'm 31 and feeling old now as I didn't know that myself!!!.... Cheers mate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships