Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:49 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
HIs wife can get away for "very casual" business trips several times a year, but when the husband wants to do something like this it's labeled '"very indulgent"

Interesting how that works.
Yes, isn't it. The judgmental force is strong with this crowd.

DH and I used to take separate vacations. I went on a three week Panama Canal cruise. He did 4 or 5 two week diving vacations in Hawaii with a friend. I keep begging that friend to go again but he's moved on to a different hobby, darn it.

The spousal unit will spend 3-4 days without me at the end of this month. And I will spend 3-4 glorious fun-filled stress-free days without him.

Going to Europe for a week on a solo trip seems like a no-brainer. Great opportunity to clear the head and start to miss the people back home. I am a firm believer in giving people the opportunity to miss you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I probably wouldn't go there for my most self-indulgent week to ten days of solo vacation, though.
Well of COURSE not! At times like that, you should head for DeKalb!!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Regardless of how the OP would like to frame those trips of hers, he said they were business trips.
Uh-huh. And when I start to feel the walls closing in on me, I find an opportunity to go on a business trip on which about 25% business and 75% pleasure is transacted. I also notice on DH's business trips they have plenty of time to go sightseeing and the like. It's not all work work work.

Quote:
This is not. A week alone in a foreign country for pleasure?? For a parent of small kids, it's the definition of self-indulgent.
Oh, get over yourself.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
LOL, grew up even closer to there!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh-huh. And when I start to feel the walls closing in on me, I find an opportunity to go on a business trip on which about 25% business and 75% pleasure is transacted. I also notice on DH's business trips they have plenty of time to go sightseeing and the like. It's not all work work work.
Just to point out, the OP's obviously not working himself to the bone without a break, either, given the amount of personal, non-work-related travel already factored in on an annual basis, per his original post:

Quote:
We travel as a family 2-3x a year to visit family on the east coast. We also travel as a family 1x a year to Europe for ~20 days.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:02 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
When I was working I wished I had half the vaca time that the OP talks about. Jeez, must be nice.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I'm a small/medium business owner and don't travel at all besides visiting family trips. My wife goes away frequently for 3-5 day trips a few(5-10) times a year. They are somewhat career related, but they are casual to say the least.

We travel as a family 2-3x a year to visit family on the east coast. We also travel as a family 1x a year to Europe for ~20 days.

I'm wanting to spend about a week in Europe, on my bicycle, just wandering around my families village, people watching, drinking espressos, and decompressing from the stressful life I have.

We are both income earners, although I pay 100% or all our expenses as well as traveling.

My question is, do you guys think it would be wrong to ask to go on a trip like this solo? Do you think it's selfish? I feel that it's important to my wellbeing and something I think about a lot.
I don't think you are being selfish. Some times you need a break to just take care of you. If you are lucky enough to be able to squeeze it in to your schedule why not. I would suggest that you touch base with your family daily just so they know you are okay. When my partner is away for longer periods of time I actually really appreciate that he still chooses to call me every day even if it is just a quick hi.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
It depends on the wife. Some might not like it and will serve you divorce paper. My SIL did. Her husband used to take long walk by himself and left her at home with the children. She mentioned that when she divorced him.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Wow, that is a craaaaaaaaazy total amount of vacation time (throughout the year).

I don't know...if I were taking trips away several times a year, even if they were a few days shorter than the husband's one trip, I'd probably be fine with it.

When my middle son was first born I sent my husband on his traditional fishing trip with his father. They had gone every single year while he was growing up and he (my husband) was set on not going as we had a new baby but I thought he'd really regret not going. I was kind of right...immediately after that the "old group" kind of broke up (all in their 70s or older now, a good few have passed away, everything just kind of broke up) and my husband wouldn't have had that last traditional trip. Now we go together to the same locale - my in-laws, my husband and I and our kids. But I did not resent my husband's trip at all, he was the one who was uncertain about going.

I think if you're already separated multiple times a year, why not...do your trip and refresh and then come back.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It depends on the wife. Some might not like it and will serve you divorce paper. My SIL did. Her husband used to take long walk by himself and left her at home with the children. She mentioned that when she divorced him.
She mentioned his taking walks during their divorce proceedings????

Come on, that's kind of off the hook.

Married people can't take walks alone??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships