Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
She mentioned his taking walks during their divorce proceedings????

Come on, that's kind of off the hook.

Married people can't take walks alone??

I agree, more of the typical idiocy we see on this forum.

I used to take 2 hour walks a few yrs ago trying to lose weight. Mrs. Chow certainly didn't "divorce" me because of it.

This forum is full of nut jobs, LOL, I wonder why I waste so much time here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:06 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I'm a small/medium business owner and don't travel at all besides visiting family trips. My wife goes away frequently for 3-5 day trips a few(5-10) times a year. They are somewhat career related, but they are casual to say the least.

We travel as a family 2-3x a year to visit family on the east coast. We also travel as a family 1x a year to Europe for ~20 days.

I'm wanting to spend about a week in Europe, on my bicycle, just wandering around my families village, people watching, drinking espressos, and decompressing from the stressful life I have.

We are both income earners, although I pay 100% or all our expenses as well as traveling.

My question is, do you guys think it would be wrong to ask to go on a trip like this solo? Do you think it's selfish? I feel that it's important to my wellbeing and something I think about a lot.
Why are you asking us? Does your wife have a problem with it?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I'm a small/medium business owner and don't travel at all besides visiting family trips. My wife goes away frequently for 3-5 day trips a few(5-10) times a year. They are somewhat career related, but they are casual to say the least.

We travel as a family 2-3x a year to visit family on the east coast. We also travel as a family 1x a year to Europe for ~20 days.

I'm wanting to spend about a week in Europe, on my bicycle, just wandering around my families village, people watching, drinking espressos, and decompressing from the stressful life I have.

We are both income earners, although I pay 100% or all our expenses as well as traveling.

My question is, do you guys think it would be wrong to ask to go on a trip like this solo? Do you think it's selfish? I feel that it's important to my wellbeing and something I think about a lot.
A supportive wife would love for you to enjoy yourself on a solo trip.

However, who has one of those wives? Lol!

Will you come back will be the lingering question.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
A supportive wife would love for you to enjoy yourself on a solo trip.
However, who has one of those wives? Lol!
Will you come back will be the lingering question.
Mr. CSD has one of those wives, he travels without me all the time because I am not physically able to go with him most of the time and there is no reason for him to stay home just because I have to. Even before I became unable to go with him most of the time he traveled alone simply because I did not want to go with him.
What a silly notion that a spouse cannot travel alone for any reason.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:58 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I probably wouldn't go there for my most self-indulgent week to ten days of solo vacation, though.
A few hours is more than enough for me.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
1.) "My wife goes away frequently for 3-5 day trips a few(5-10) times a year. They are somewhat career related, but they are casual to say the least."

What does that mean?

2.) So you're afraid to even ask?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
OP, how would you respond if you wife asked for the same thing? Not a work trip, but a pure vacation trip.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, criticisms, and advice.

To those that question the expense and somewhat excessive amounts spend traveling, I will offer this.

We are a family that lives well below our means in our daily lives to be able to travel more. Our newest car is 15 years old. I haven't bought a new article of clothing in 2 years. I cut my own, as well as the kids' hair. I carry absolutely ZERO unsecured personal debt ( credit card ). We don't have cable tv. I make our own laundry detergent. The list goes on - hopefully you get the idea.

When we travel, outside of the airline tickets, we don't spend much more as housing and meals are provided by our family, so this isn't a vacation on a beachfront villa in Amalfi of some resort. Our trips are solely to visit family - absolutely no leisure or sight seeing.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It depends on the wife. Some might not like it and will serve you divorce paper. My SIL did. Her husband used to take long walk by himself and left her at home with the children. She mentioned that when she divorced him.
Seriously? Unless those walks included a short-cut and brief layover in a red light district, that is patently ridiculous. How any grown ass adult would put up with being on short leash is beyond me.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
I am also one of those wives who would say go and have fun. In fact, I do, we travel separately all the time, just for fun. I actually wouldn't be married to someone who had a problem with this. I do not get the big deal people make about this. Either you trust someone or you don't, and being married to me doesn't mean you must do everything together. I do not travel solo, only because I prefer to meet people, but I do meet friends and go on trips without my husband. My husband does both, sometimes goes away solo and sometimes with friends, And we do have a child and tons of pets, but the other is more than happy to take over at home. And seriously, bringing up someone took two hour walks in a divorce hearing, how clingy must that person have been if this actually bothered them. I think in a relationship no one should need to " ask permission" to do something. Sure you should be considerate and make sure it works for the other if you go away that week ( I mean works in terms of house duties, kids etc) like there have been times when my husband was too busy at work to feel comfortable taking over at home, like working 14 hour days type of thing, and when that is the case I just have picked another week to go away. But I would certainly not expect him to ask permission to go away and I would not either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships