Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I even asked my two friends on their opinion. I told them that because of my past experiences, I vowed to get a prenup, after I have had been taken advantage of in the past.
What? You LIVE AT HOME WITH YOUR PARENTS. No one has taken advantage of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 PM

314 posts, read 237,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Oh I didn't see that one, LOL. Yes get a prenup for your games and random furniture.....

Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Almost 200k. I was told by my friends though that that is not very much, and I am trying to make my assets out to be a lot more than they are. I am not Bill Gates as a couple of them agreed. Do you think I am doing so?

My gf also said that money comes and goes, l and I think too much of it, where as love is forever.
Love is not forever. It can be, but often times it isnt. Id be concerned about her cavalier attitude about YOUR money.

That may not be a lot of money to some people, but to others that amount is a life savings. I dont see any reason you shouldnt be concerned.

Remember a marriage is a contract about love, whereas a divorce is a financial transaction.

Id be concerned that she's so angry about this situation.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How is a woman taking advantage of me before, have anything to do living with my parents?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Definitely get that pre-nup! Cuz if I was your girl and found your post history on C-D, puttin all our personal business up in here ~ I'd totally leave your ass and take ev-ery-damn-thaaang, lol...

Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
My gf also said that money comes and goes, l and I think too much of it, where as love is forever.
Um yeah, that's why she's in the financial state that she is in.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 AM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
Quote:
Am I being really unromantic. I don't mean to be.
How is romance being defined here?

Quote:
I even asked my two friends on their opinion.
Friends aren't always the best people to ask. These concepts of love, marriage, and gender roles amount to religion for some people. I had a friend with very traditional, conservative beliefs about these things, and I couldn't even say that I wondered if marriage was right for me without getting his "Anathema!" gasp. Somebody with proper professional training and experience will better help you see if you're approaching marriage in a way that's true to you.

Quote:
Love isn't necessarily forever. For somebody who claims to be so adamant about it, she sure isn't putting forth any effort to sympathize with your concerns.

The vast majority of people who get a pre-nup aren't Bill Gates. Most people haven't saved anywhere near that amount of money. You know the effort you put into it.

I wonder if the $200K is the only issue here. Do you have doubts about her ability or willingness to contribute financially? Do you foresee her putting a strain on your efforts to be financially responsible, and her battling you whenever you pump the brakes on spending?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I wouldn't go through it, man. IF you were the bread winner and she puts up this much of a fight, then she wants that security that she'll take everything she can once the divorce is finalized. If you guys were making equal salary, then I would advise you to proceed with caution....

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I wouldn't go through it, man. IF you were the bread winner and she puts up this much of a fight, then she wants that security that she'll take everything she can once the divorce is finalized. If you guys were making equal salary, then I would advise you to proceed with caution....
Why do you keep posting this stuff? How in the world would discrepancies in salary matter?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

231 posts, read 201,781 times
If you two refuse to come to an agreement on the relationship terms then do not accept/settle for less. Do what makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships