Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
^^^^Why does he need therapy??
I don't agree.
He needs to figure out a way to
balance it-
His own time & their time.
I used to joke when I was
married that I'd be fine if we bought a building & we were neighbors.....
It would have been perfect-
Enjoy time together then send him on his way
Why does he need to live a separate, parallel life with his wife??

He could use therapy to help find that balance and to quell unrealistic expectations and self-centered desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
^^^^Why does he need therapy??
I don't agree.
He needs to figure out a way to
balance it-
His own time & their time.
I used to joke when I was
married that I'd be fine if we bought a building & we were neighbors.....
It would have been perfect-
Enjoy time together then send him on his way
I wouldn't say he needs it.

But if he finds that communicating his needs well to his wife isn't something he's able to do (don't know if he's tried or not, so this is conjecture and a hypothetical), marriage counseling can be a useful resource in getting some assistance in improving that (so can individual counseling). People seem to equate counseling with something you only resort to in cases of extreme dysfunction, when it's actually very useful to get guidance on problem areas before they blow up in the extreme. It's kind of like going to the doctor to treat a virus before it develops into full-blown pneumonia.

Lots of people are able to map their own path and figure out the best way to meet their relationship needs on their own. Others benefit from an outside, neutral perspective to help them reframe their perspective and more clearly identify their needs and expectations, as well as how to effectively communicate them.

So, while I wouldn't say counseling is needed, it may indeed be useful, depending on his individual situation. If you muddle along and nothing ever changes, a fresh perspective can be useful.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

He could use therapy to help find that balance and to quell unrealistic expectations and self-centered desires.

I agree. I got the sense that the OP is frustrated, mostly with himself, but still open to a fix for this. He didn't really say as much, but he did list a lot of positives. So I think talking to a counselor would be a good idea for at least 2 reasons.

First, the OP seems to have a somewhat naïve idea of what marriage is "supposed" to be. It's not that marriage is either drudgery or all sweetness and light. It's a bit of both (like life in general) but with a whole lot of "meh" between the extremes. In happy marriages, the couple finds ways to enjoy the meh times. Talking some of that through with a 3rd party could be helpful.

Then second, negotiating some alone time, or perhaps acknowledging the current alone time might be aided by a 3rd party. Based on the time they were already spending together, it sounds like the OP resents the idea of his independence being reduced as much or more than any actual reduction, because there wasn't much of a reduction. Counselor stuff again.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:

I still disagree-
No therapy is necessary.
From my perspective-
I felt smothered.
I don't know the OP.....
But honestly marriage is overrated.
It's definitely not for the faint hearted.....
Especially for independent introverts

Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
I still disagree-
No therapy is necessary.
From my perspective-
I felt smothered.
I don't know the OP.....

You know your situation and it may be relevant to the OP. Your deal was kind of extreme though. If you married at 16 to a man who was considerably older, I really doubt he had your best interests at heart. You were way to young to get married or really to be with one guy in a serious relationship, so wanting a "do over" makes total sense. The OP seems a bit ill prepared for marriage but he also seems to like most things about his wife, and describes her as a good match for him. He may conclude that marriage is smothering for him, but a few therapy sessions could give him a more certain outlook one way or the other.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
First, the OP seems to have a somewhat naïve idea of what marriage is "supposed" to be. It's not that marriage is either drudgery or all sweetness and light. It's a bit of both (like life in general) but with a whole lot of "meh" between the extremes. In happy marriages, the couple finds ways to enjoy the meh times. Talking some of that through with a 3rd party could be helpful.
I think this is accurate.

People need to realize that sometimes (lots of times?) life is just life, and there's mundane crap, stress, drudgery that's just an inherent embedded part. Being married, being in a really good marriage, etc. doesn't change that. It does make some of that more bearable, though. Even if you're going through a particularly mundane patch, for many, it's nice to at least be going through that patch with somebody you love and care about and have fun with anyway. Going through the banal stuff as a team makes the banal stuff not so annoying.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You know your situation and it may be relevant to the OP. Your deal was kind of extreme though. If you married at 16 to a man who was considerably older, I really doubt he had your best interests at heart. You were way to young to get married or really to be with one guy in a serious relationship, so wanting a "do over" makes total sense. The OP seems a bit ill prepared for marriage but he also seems to like most things about his wife, and describes her as a good match for him. He may conclude that marriage is smothering for him, but a few therapy sessions could give him a more certain outlook one way or the other.
Agreed. I think that that particular poster is projecting personal experience onto a situation that doesn't necessarily sound analagous to hers.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
You only get out of it what you put into it.

What are your expectations? What are you doing to get there?

Have you communicated with your wife about it at all?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I still disagree-
No therapy is necessary.
From my perspective-
I felt smothered.
I don't know the OP.....
Sorry you feel that way. Your situation is not universal. **shrug**

Signed,

Independent Introvert married 25 years

Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. Your situation is not universal. **shrug**
And for every person who finds speaking with a counselor to be smothering, there are likely equal numbers, if not more, who find it to be a source of relief to be heard and not judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships