Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM

458 posts, read 329,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You are remembering some details about my life correctly, but that is not "why I sought counseling."

My situation is similar because of the time period in which I also began feeling like I had made a mistake as well ... 18 months.

The OP has apparently done what a lot of people do: Got married with some unrealistic expectations. The positives he listed are worth fighting for, but he never mentioned love. He has to decide if he loves her and wants to be with her.

HE could just give it all up for the perception of greener grass, or he could choose the painful path of infidelity like me. Fortunately I found a great therapist that helped me, and my husband, understand how our marriage could work and thrive. There are other options. Only he knows what he really wants.
^^^^ That's owning it!!! Yes. I love that you were brave enough to accept responsibility and make the appropriate changes. Looks like some people just want to throw shade your way, but the real take away is how responded and how you help others with your life experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you need x amount of alone time each day, pick up a hobby that's yours and yours alone. Communicate that need. My husband is not hugely introverted, but he did live alone for two decades before we met, and he got used to his morning routine of sitting quietly in the mornings, waking up slowly and reading quietly with his morning coffee. When he and I got together, I didn't understand this and would happily chatter at him while making breakfast, etc., but once I learned that it was pretty essential to his peace of mind, we established a routine where we each do our own thing for an hour or so in the morning, so he can get that much-needed centering time to start his day.
This sounds familiar! My husband and I moved in together (before we got married) when we were 43 and 44. Neither of us had been married or lived with anyone before so we were both VERY independent, used to living alone, and at least a little set in our ways. I consider us both introverts, though I'm a very outgoing introvert. I work from home, so I get my alone time during the day. He works in an office and gets no alone time. A few weeks ago he told me I chatter a lot first thing in the morning (I'm a morning person) and right when he gets home from work (when I'm ready to talk to someone other than the dog). Ha! So I've tried to tone it down. He gets up about 30 minutes before I do so that at least gives him some wake-up time before I come out and start chatting away.

This past Christmas, I gave him a coupon book and instead of filling it with the typical coupons for sex acts, etc. I made coupons for a weekend to himself, an evening to himself etc (with some coupons for time together as well). So far he hasn't used any of the coupons, though I have proactively done a couple of solo weekends away, so that gives him some needed "me" time.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
^^^^ That's owning it!!! Yes. I love that you were brave enough to accept responsibility and make the appropriate changes. Looks like some people just want to throw shade your way, but the real take away is how responded and how you help others with your life experience.
Thanks for your encouragement.

I didn't take it as shade. Jasper is a smart person, and context always matters. As you know, marriage is complicated, and so many circumstances apply.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. Your situation is not universal. **shrug**

Signed,

Independent Introvert married 25 years
Hahaha.....
So says the cheater-
Your situation is not universal.
I never cheated even tho I had many opportunities.....
The fact that you excuse cheating is very telling.

Thanks Jasper, for nailing it.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Hahaha.....
So says the cheater-

That's "reformed cheater," thank you very much!

I've learned from and grown as a person after my negative experiences. This kind of reply from you indicates that you have not.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your encouragement.

I didn't take it as shade. Jasper is a smart person, and context always matters. As you know, marriage is complicated, and so many circumstances apply.
She is indeed. I misinterpreted her. My apologies. I'm learning alot from you ladies. Much of what the OP has stated is relevant to me as well.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

You're responsible for helping to find the balance between yourself and your wife - hopefully something she's also okay with. You can't just be quiet in your own corner and expect things to get better.
^^^ This is critical to the health of your marriage.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Yep. Discrepancies in expectations don't fix themselves.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Hahaha.....
So says the cheater-

Just because someone was vulnerable to cheating once upon time and has taken the steps to correct themselves does not mean that they deserve to be persecuted. She is not continuing to do the wrong thing dear.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
Just because someone was vulnerable to cheating once upon time and has taken the steps to correct themselves does not mean that they deserve to be persecuted. She is not continuing to do the wrong thing dear.
It also doesn't mean they don't have a happy or healthy marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships