Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you really aren't ready for a relationship at this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:21 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
Where do I go to meet women who aren't concerned about this? I am unhappy doing what I'm doing, although it does pay the bills, and there's a decent chance I will be taking a low-paying job or going back to school to do something else. My last relationship just ended after a year and her concern about my career outlook was a big part of it. Not complaining, I have nothing bad to say about her, but right now I can't provide the stability she wants and deserves.

I'm not destitute, I still go out and do fun things, so that's not a problem, but I do need to find someone who's OK with the idea that I'm not exactly a great provider.

I'm pretty much wrecked right now from the breakup but looking ahead to the time when I'm less so. The ideas I've come up with so far are volunteering at an animal shelter and maybe signing up for some co-ed sports. Can't stomach online dating again, and I generally don't enjoy bars/clubs, but I know there are other possibilities out there.
I'm hoping to be in the same boat in a year or two with the career change and I'm 31 now......

I think you will be fine mate simply because both most are endearing and understanding to the fact you will be studying and won't be able to do this and that that you normally can and shouldn't hold it against you

Honestly if I met a girl and I liked her enough I would only help with the finance side of things.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I wouldn't be bothered by it, but I'm in my upper thirties, going to grad school, and changing careers myself, and I work in human services, so loads of $$$ had never been a reality or a priority. Is every woman of my same mindset? Nope. Some will write you off.

Some are likely going to be more put off by your just having gotten out of a relationship.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 AM

379 posts, read 339,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I'm hoping to be in the same boat in a year or two with the career change and I'm 31 now......

I think you will be fine mate simply because both most are endearing and understanding to the fact you will be studying and won't be able to do this and that that you normally can and shouldn't hold it against you

Honestly if I met a girl and I liked her enough I would only help with the finance side of things.
Man, I love your positive attitude- it's really infectious and solid.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 AM

379 posts, read 339,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wouldn't be bothered by it, but I'm in my upper thirties, going to grad school, and changing careers myself, and I work in human services, so loads of $$$ had never been a reality or a priority. Is every woman of my same mindset? Nope. Some will write you off.

Some are likely going to be more put off by your just having gotten out of a relationship.
Yeah, I'm not worried about making a lot of money. I've never been a big spender, don't care about buying things and most of the things I do for entertainment involve inexpensive outdoor activities.

I figure a break of several months over the summer and I'll be completely over the relationship and ready to get back at it again.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Man, I love your positive attitude- it's really infectious and solid.
It's certainly contagious......... Enjoy

No I find it's pointless and unproductive being negative, sure we all get down in a while or think the worst but being upbeat gets you out of trouble and naturally attracts people to you .

Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
I'm in the same boat. Also ready for a career change. It's scary because I've built a certain lifestyle and going through a career change, you never really know exactly what will happen.

What do you do now and what are you trying to get into TC?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I actually find career changes really invigorating.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Where do I go to meet women who aren't concerned about this? I am unhappy doing what I'm doing, although it does pay the bills, and there's a decent chance I will be taking a low-paying job or going back to school to do something else. My last relationship just ended after a year and her concern about my career outlook was a big part of it. Not complaining, I have nothing bad to say about her, but right now I can't provide the stability she wants and deserves.

I'm not destitute, I still go out and do fun things, so that's not a problem, but I do need to find someone who's OK with the idea that I'm not exactly a great provider.

I'm pretty much wrecked right now from the breakup but looking ahead to the time when I'm less so. The ideas I've come up with so far are volunteering at an animal shelter and maybe signing up for some co-ed sports. Can't stomach online dating again, and I generally don't enjoy bars/clubs, but I know there are other possibilities out there.

How long do you have in school?

Stability is a big deal to some women - I, for example, require it in a mate.

That said, I understand changing careers as well. Hubby and I both did it late in life.

When do you plan on dating? Working, dating, AND school? Will you have time for it all?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:

I'm in a similar situation. 35 years old and just left a position as a Food Service Director working at a nursing facility. I couldn't see myself doing that for the rest of my life, so I am working on getting into a nursing program currently. I believe it would be more fulfilling. So I've taken a position with less pay closer to family. The drawback it's a smaller area than I was previously which doesn't bode well for my love life. Not that it existed before as I worked all the time.

So go for it if you don't feel you're in the right position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships