Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times

Advertisements

For number 1: Do you live together? If not, stay in your own place. If it were me I'd be much more aware of noise my pets were making. My cats, especially when they were kittens, would run around at night to play, and I got a white noise machine to mask the sound (earplugs weren't enough for me - I'm a light sleeper). I highly recommend it. Maybe you can suggest that to her.

Point 2: Expired food is bad but I feel like perishable foods HAVE to be thrown out. Shelf foods, not sure. Seems like she was just in a bad mood.

Point 3: Don't fart in your car when she has to get in it! That's just rude. And uhh, why are you even taking that many supplements? Is that typical? Because I feel like if you were eating the right diet you wouldn't need to take so many. You can get vitamin C from citrus, for God's sake.

Overall, stop blowing up over minor stuff and think about why these things anger you both so much. It happens sometimes in relationships. Make sure you both take time to just be alone. I find I need time to recharge at times so my bf and I will go in different rooms and do our own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I know a lady who had birds in her house and she is now suffering from pulmonary fibrosis. An incurable and progressive lung disease. Her pulmonary doc said he suspects the birds feathers and feces may have contributed. Birds are a bad thing to own as pets. Just a thought to consider.
Bird poop also attracts rats

Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 PM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
hahahahahahah, oh man that was funny

Old 05-06-2016, 10:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btthmt View Post
Me and my girlfriend get into huge heated arguments over little things. It's taking a toll over both of us. Does anyone have any advice on how we can settle down? Here are some examples:

I.

My girlfriends birds are some little SOBs! They squawk 3:00 in the morning. She doesn't do anything about it! She won't tell them to hush or put them further away from the bedroom. Also, she refuses to cover them at night. When I was little I had cousins who had birds, they would put a quilt over the cage and they would fall asleep quickly and not wake until the sun comes up. One night I blew up and my girlfriend got upset. She said I'm insensitive to her pets. What??? It's hard to keep a lid on when I have to get up and go to work in just a few hours.

II.

My girlfriend once got really mad at me for eating some spaghettios past the expiration date. We were getting ready to watch "101 Ways to Die", and we prepared a quick dinner before the show began. She fixed some chips and queso and I dumped a serving of pasta into the microwave. I randomly mentioned that the food is one month past the expiration date. She asked me was I going to eat it. I was like yeah, I'm not going to waste food! And $1.99 wasted. I could've use that amount of money to get one of those small size moscato wines at the gas station or something. She totally went off on me, saying that I could get food poisoning and said that she would hesitate taking me to the ER if I got really ill...because I should "know better". Who gets sick from eating shelf food just a month old? I think she overreacted!

III.

I started lifting weights and I eat a stricter diet to aid in muscle gains. I also take some supplements. I take fish oil, vitamin c, zinc, etc. I eat a lot of broccoli, garlic, eggs, beans, etc. I also take whey protein supplements. The diet and supplements seem to be helping me, but they give me horrible gas! I try to be polite and practice some restraint. I try my best not to break wind in front of my girlfriend. One day, however, she inhaled some of my flatulence. It wasn't intentional though. Her car was in shop, and I was heading over to pick her up from work. About a few minutes away, I felt awful, like I was going to literally explode! I let several large ones rip. Hey, I was alone in my car, I didn't think anything of it! When I arrived at her workplace, I went up to her floor and chatted with some of her co-workers. About 15 minutes later, we went back to my car and to our horror the smell was still there. The car was fumigated! It smelled like a pile of trash outside a White Castle or something. My girlfriend got really grossed out and she yelled at me all the way home. Again, I thought she was overreacting.

I want these fights to end, how do we gain control of ourselves?
Well, based on those three things (you didn't give other examples where you were in the wrong), your gf is a giant pain-in-the-ass.

1- It would be the easiest thing in the world to put a covering over the birds to have them go to sleep and be quite through the night, yet your gf is not willing to do this one small, helpful thing.

2- Eating over the recommended expiration date by a week is not going to do any harm. Total over-reaction from her. The birds are way more of a health risk than is eating a can of Spagettio's a week after they have expired.

3- You made an honest mistake, yet she couldn't just laugh it off and roll down the windows. It's not like you did it on purpose or do that all the time to her.

If it was me, I would tell her she either needs to start chilling out and stop being so into just herself or she can take a long walk back to the world of being single again.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Oh, gawd, people, enough with the bird hate! My bird currently bunks with me because of the size and layout of my apartment. And look! No health issues! Why? Because I keep his cage and the floor and wall around it clean, every single day. Usually people who get sick from being around birds are slobs or don't know how to keep everything clean and shouldn't have gotten birds in the first place.

Also, no not all birds can or should be completely covered. Some species are inclined toward night-frights in pitch blackness. Others have health conditions. I had a bird with epilepsy. He could only be partially covered and I had to have a night-light on for him. That was in a different apartment where both birds lived in the living room.

But anyway, I might wheel his cage out to the living room if I had a man stay overnight, though, because he (the bird) will rustle about and react to a man's presence. I'd do it for the bird's sake, not the man's. The man can go jump if he doesn't like my pet.

It's really a judgment call for the OP's girlfriend there, but OP should keep in mind that the birds were there before him and they'll be there after him--something I would have to reconcile myself with if I ever run into a man who lets cats or dogs sleep on the bed with him, which to me is absolutely revolting.

Other than that, new member OP, this will sound harsh, but you seem really immature. I sense most women would find the behavior you describe to be tedious on a good day, obnoxious on a bad. Rather than pitch a fit the way your GF has, I'd have simply dumped you already.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Could this be a thinly disguised fart-fetish post from our habitual perv?

That last paragraph just seemed a little too, er, lovingly crafted.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:44 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I will never understand people and I am so extremely happy I am an introvert.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2016, 03:02 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I was waiting for a reference to pee, myself. "She got mad because I ate asparagus at dinner..."

Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
You should be able to talk things out in an adult manner and come to a compromise that you both can agree on. It's normal to get a little emotional during these discussions but if one or both of you is really really raising their voice and/or faces are getting red then it's gone to far. If she's unwilling to address the bird situation and you're unwilling to take some gas-ex then it may be time to move on, sorry. Unless you just want to continue on the emotional roller coaster? It's up to you.

Without being there it's hard to tell if she was really yelling at you (face red, screaming) about the spagettio's. I just cant imagine someone getting that angry about that.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
Was she actually yelling at you with her voice raised or was she just speaking in a harsh tone towards you? Either way would show impatience toward you which isn't really a good thing. Once that starts becoming a regular occurrence, it's usually a sign that the relationship is going the way of the Titanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships