Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:30 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I agree with others, that the dog needs to be in a better situation. Thank God that one of you has at least been tending to him - and a pet, especially a puppy, needs to have a positive beginning. I would say if this is really taken into consideration by you both, that you should give him up. I don't know if you could do so directly, but would be best probably with a family whose members could truly devote time and attention needed. Do not just give it to another person who might be enthusiastic, but could end up too busy or inattentive, like the girlfriend. Or sadly, doggie will end up in a shelter as too many do.. competing to be adopted.
If they got the dog from a breeder, the breeder might take the dog back and try to rehome it, or be able to give the OP a lead on a new situation. A reputable dog breeder doesn't want one of their animals not being taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If they got the dog from a breeder, the breeder might take the dog back and try to rehome it, or be able to give the OP a lead on a new situation. A reputable dog breeder doesn't want one of their animals not being taken care of.

Likewise if they got the dog from a shelter.

So to the OP, your gf is showing her true colors here, and I hope you see that they aren't very pretty. Her behavior says a lot about her and that a lot isn't limited to pet care.

Put some serious effort into finding a new home for the puppy. Look for a dachshund rescue group locally, or perhaps a no kill shelter or your vet could help you out.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
Wow I can't stand people that get pets and then won't take care of them appropriately. That would be a dealbreaker for me. It seems to me she is lacking in maturity.
Animals are innocent and beautiful pets. I can't stand to see someone not taking care of them relationship or not.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM

374 posts, read 393,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesagon View Post
Thanks everyone I talked to her about it but she says she still wants it but has been too tired to play or care for it with her job. I told her I was tired of becoming solely responsible for it and considered finding it a new home and she got real mad saying I was being selfish for wanting to.
My wife and I adopted a dog (dachshund as well) when we were dating, we both took care of it and we both learned some responsibilities from him.

10 years later, he's still a part of our lives along with our sons, we joke that we have three sons including our dog.

If one of you doesn't take care of the dog, it leads me to believe that the other person is always going to be picking up the slack when you have kids as well.

The excuse of "I'm too tired" isn't an excuse. She signed up for it, she needs to help take care of the dog. When she's a parent the excuse of "I'm too tired" will never cut it.

Getting a dog with a girlfriend is a big step IMO, i know especially dachshunds tend to have pretty decent life span.......

Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Don't have children with her for starters....

I'd put the puppy up for adoption and be done with it.
That.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Likewise if they got the dog from a shelter.

So to the OP, your gf is showing her true colors here, and I hope you see that they aren't very pretty. Her behavior says a lot about her and that a lot isn't limited to pet care.

Put some serious effort into finding a new home for the puppy. Look for a dachshund rescue group locally, or perhaps a no kill shelter or your vet could help you out.
Oh no. Please don't just bring the dog to a shelter. Those poor dogs wait forever in the hopes of finding a home. They are not easy places to be. Re-homing a dog is HARD on the dog, under the best of circumstances.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM

374 posts, read 393,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh no. Please don't just bring the dog to a shelter. Those poor dogs wait forever in the hopes of finding a home. They are not easy places to be. Re-homing a dog is HARD on the dog, under the best of circumstances.
It might be better to re-home the dog into a family that wants the dog, however the shelter should be avoided at all cost.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone I talked to her about it but she says she still wants it but has been too tired to play or care for it with her job. I told her I was tired of becoming solely responsible for it and considered finding it a new home and she got real mad saying I was being selfish for wanting to.
So she is tired, big deal, she chose the responsibility of having a pet when she got a pet.
You know when you have children you cannot just neglect them because you are tired andyou haven't seen tired until you have a newborn baby and that doesn't even count when they get sick.
Get rid of the girlfriend and keep the dog or get rid of both or keep both knowing you will be sole caretaker.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
It might be better to re-home the dog into a family that wants the dog, however the shelter should be avoided at all cost.
Oh I agree. Re-homing is not the worst thing in the world. It is just helpful to recognize it is not easy on the dog.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone I talked to her about it but she says she still wants it but has been too tired to play or care for it with her job.
Then she should have thought about that before she decided to adopt a young, living creature with a lot of needs. She's not a child, she's a grown woman, and she needs to start acting like one. She took on a responsibility and now she's neglecting it because she's "tired"? That's what responsibility IS - it means doing something even when you're tired or don't want to. It's called being a grown up. Welcome to adulthood. How old is she? Do you find she is irresponsible in other aspects of life? If it were me, I would definitely be reconsidering your relationship with her. What if you have a child together and she starts neglecting it's needs or asking you to do everything because she's "tired"?

Quote:
I told her I was tired of becoming solely responsible for it and considered finding it a new home and she got real mad saying I was being selfish for wanting to.
Well, she's being selfish by not caring for the dog that she took on the responsibility for. She sounds incredibly spoiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships