Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times

Advertisements

I guess we were as realistic and prepared as a couple of 22 year olds can be, lol. Seriously though, we get on just fine, in spite of the obstacles. The only thing I could think of that we should have done differently was maybe be a little less responsible; we all of those pre-kid years to take trips and blow our disposable income, but instead we just worked and saved, worked and saved... and it'll be a loooong time before we can do anything reckless again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:37 PM

458 posts, read 329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I guess we were as realistic and prepared as a couple of 22 year olds can be, lol. Seriously though, we get on just fine, in spite of the obstacles. The only thing I could think of that we should have done differently was maybe be a little less responsible; we all of those pre-kid years to take trips and blow our disposable income, but instead we just worked and saved, worked and saved... and it'll be a loooong time before we can do anything reckless again.
Drop the kids off and go to Vegas baby!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Not at all. Not even when my first husband and I married really young. Though at the time marriage meant something different to me than it does now. I certainly didn't go in expecting rainbows and sunshine 24/7. I had observed the struggles and challenges of dysfunctional relationships, even with my still-married relatives, for years, so I tried to be mindful of these dynamics. I always say that I lucked out with my first husband with our being pretty compatible across many areas throughout a good portion of the marriage (10 years). We experienced a number of things that most never go through, and we handled them pretty well (he was away for military training missions, schools and deployments, etc. for over 4.5 years of the marriage). We got along pretty well, but certain events led to soul-searching and growing apart and wanting different things. (I was his first everything)

It was an amicable split. We're better as friends than life partners.

I did not "luck" out with my husband. I had high standards for compatibility, which my first marriage played into (my exH and H would get along pretty well if exH lived closer). The things that worked really well in my first marriage were things that were priority when my search became more serious overtime. So, yeah, my husband and I are amazingly compatible that it doesn't feel like "work."

And having spent a number of years in a previous marriage, I was plenty privy to the ups and downs that come with life/married life, so there wasn't an issue of going in with blinders on.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Although I've only been married once, I was previously in several long-term relationships that were very effective at helping me to learn what things were priorities and were critical to either have or not have in a relationship. Had I NOT had those relationships, I may have waltzed into a marriage not knowing those things.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
Love it! Did you date alot in your single years?
Yes and no. I would go through periods of dating or trying to date -- then, if a relationship fizzled or I wasn't having much luck dating, I would take some time to myself for a while (months on end). I think those times to yourself are really important in terms of getting to know yourself and what you want. Without that knowledge, it's difficult to find success in a relationship.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
If a relationship doesn't begin with a fantasy, it's not worth having...and you have to believe in it, too.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM

458 posts, read 329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Not at all. Not even when my first husband and I married really young. Though at the time marriage meant something different to me than it does now. I certainly didn't go in expecting rainbows and sunshine 24/7. I had observed the struggles and challenges of dysfunctional relationships, even with my still-married relatives, for years, so I tried to be mindful of these dynamics. I always say that I lucked out with my first husband with our being pretty compatible across many areas throughout a good portion of the marriage (10 years). We experienced a number of things that most never go through, and we handled them pretty well (he was away for military training missions, schools and deployments, etc. for over 4.5 years of the marriage). We got along pretty well, but certain events led to soul-searching and growing apart and wanting different things. (I was his first everything)

It was an amicable split. We're better as friends than life partners.

I did not "luck" out with my husband. I had high standards for compatibility, which my first marriage played into (my exH and H would get along pretty well if exH lived closer). The things that worked really well in my first marriage were things that were priority when my search became more serious overtime. So, yeah, my husband and I are amazingly compatible that it doesn't feel like "work."

And having spent a number of years in a previous marriage, I was plenty privy to the ups and downs that come with life/married life, so there wasn't an issue of going in with blinders on.

I love how you said you had high standards for compatibility!! My therapist told me that my husband and I were incompatible emotionally and intellectually. Next time around, I will certainly be more weary about not making the same mistake twice!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
For those of you that have married, did you enter into your blissful union with unrealistic expectations? What did you learn? What would you change?

#married@21
#married11yrs
Did I ever. I was only 21, and so dumb that it had never even occurred to me to ask what "marriage" meant to him. I mean, my concept of what makes a good marriage is obviously a universally recognized constant, right?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:38 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
I never had expectations that where not already present before the ceremony took place.
I wouldn't have married if I had not.

Expectations have grown as our marriage has, but not at the expense of one another.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:01 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
For those of you that have married, did you enter into your blissful union with unrealistic expectations? What did you learn? What would you change?

#married@21
#married11yrs
Married @ 23
Married 34 years and still going...

What did I learn? It takes a whole lot of compromise mostly on the wife side I also learned to focus on what parts are good. And you can't "change" someone--not that I tried to, but love is blind and often when you date one seems to have blinders on, when you say "I do" the blinders fall off. I learned that it is good to have a spouse that allows you to be yourself.

What would I change? I expected a few other things, but in the end I have a spouse that would do practically anything for me, has provided a home and a good salary to take care of his family. We probably should have tried to stay more connected. It changes every year, so who knows what is to come.

Unrealistic expectations? maybe, I thought we would be best friends forever. Jobs/work/interests change with time sometimes. There are different Seasons in marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships