Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:37 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times

Advertisements

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...le-who-look-us
...marriages between third or fourth cousins in Iceland tended to produce more children and grandchildren than those between completely unrelated individuals. The researchers suggest that marrying third and fourth cousins may be optimal for reproduction because this degree of genetic similarity may produce the best gene pool. Sibling and first-cousin couples, were they to mate, could have inbreeding problems, whereas couples genetically far-removed from each other could have genetic incompatibilities. Third- and fourth-cousin couples, though, tend to be genetically compatible while having no serious inbreeding problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Gross.

No.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 AM

914 posts, read 737,671 times
No way.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Nope. Never dated anyone who looked like a relative.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,136 times
Not in a million years!!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Resembles my father? No. I haven't ever dated a man who actually resembles him or other relatives. However, I've noticed I am drawn to certain looks and features that are common in my family. All of the men in my family are tall, at least 6'1" to 6'6" being the tallest. My dad is 6'3", and in the past, high school years and until I met my first husband, I primarily dated tall men. All of my female cousins are at least 5'8". The women have tended to date black (like their fathers) or biracial men, whereas their brothers dated/married white women (like their mothers).

They've all married very attractive people. My parents were very, very good-looking in their younger years. My mother is still gorgeous. I look a lot like my dad, and have a preference for features that I have and am exposed to. (high cheekbones, full lips, olive complexion, facial symmetry, and other features). My husband has the kind of features that I've always found appealing, especially the high cheekbones, olive complexion, chiseled features/strong jawline.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
I would date someone who looked like my brother... He's a babe!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Haha not at all, am I attracted to girls that look like my mom or sisters!

That's not to say they're not attractive people, but I've never dated someone or got involved with someone that resembled any of them. There was a girl back in high school that all of my friends and almost every guy thought was really hot. I didn't think she was by any means unattractive and I wouldn't have turned her down at all, but I didn't think she was as hot as everyone else did because she reminded me of my sister too much. I thought this girl was just good looking, not really hot though. Only because of that. But no one else seemed to think she looked much like my sister, other than me.

One weird my fiancée and I have gotten more than once, is people thinking we were brother and sister. It annoys both of us, because she thinks people have said this because they think she looks older and it annoys me because I think they're looking at us like I'm out of her league and that she's too hot for me haha. In all actuality, I think it's the skin tone. We're both very olive complexion and have dark hair. We're also both thin, though she's quite a bit shorter than me. If people spent more than 3-5 minutes around us, they'd know we're a couple, as we're fairly affectionate in public.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Why do I always hear that women are attracted to guys who look like their father and men are attracted to women who look like their mother? Is there a truth to that? Do people always go for a "familiar look"?

My sister has brazenly told me that she finds men who like me the most attractive. It's flattering, but at the same time, disquieting.
Lol. In a word, no. It would be creepy to be with a woman who resembles my Mother, Sister etc. That would be a flat turn off, and a woman who found me attractive for such reasons, would be too.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
I had a cousin, who when younger looked a lot like Pierce Brosnan. Of course, I didn't realize that until I was much, MUCH older.

Sigh, guess I would have to admire from afar if these conditions were existent today and we were closer in age. Still, I don't think I would actively pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships