Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well that's just crazy talk. I bet you have a credit card in your name, too
Don't let get out I might be accused of cherry-picking Women's lib for my own frivolous selfishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM

249 posts, read 188,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwebster View Post
No, I'm not bashing all women, just this one. Too many times "women" like to parade around like they don't need a man or shouting how independent they are but when it comes down to it they won't even pump their own gas. I've dated women before who would swing by and pick me up to hang out then during the day stop to get gas and turn to me and look like, "oh, you thought I was going to pump my own gas?" Or, when we go places and if they walk in front of you we get to a door and they just stand there like they can't figure out how to operate the handle. Basic "PUSH" or "PULL" and it even has it spelled out on the door. Well, I asked a few of them, "what do you do when you go to the mall alone? Do you stand outside the door till a man comes along and opens it for you?

This woman is getting basically free labor but all her husband asks her to do is simply pay for the parts and she doesn't want to do that to get her car fixed. SHE complains when he can't fix it and SHE has to take it to the shop. Yet, SHE gets mad when HE doesn't volunteer to pay for HER repairs.

As a woman I get exactly what you're saying, and the kind of woman you're describing is a phony feminist.
I detest those women, they're always going around espousing how liberated they are and expecting equality, but they still expect a man to be the initiators in relationships, be their money tree, do their household repairs, mow their lawns, hold open doors, and pull out chairs for them.
I'm glad some men are wising up to these hypocrites but all the other dudes who keep catering to their every whim are just gullible beyond hope.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
As a woman I get exactly what you're saying, and the kind of woman you're describing is a phony feminist.
I detest those women, they're always going around espousing how liberated they are and expecting equality, but they still expect a man to be the initiators in relationships, be their money tree, do their household repairs, mow their lawns, hold open doors, and pull out chairs for them.
I'm glad some men are wising up to these hypocrites but all the other dudes who keep catering to their every whim are just gullible beyond hope.

Yes, equality should be expected by all women. We should have the right to compete to the best of our abilities.

I am perfectly capable of pulling out my own chair and opening my own door, yet my husband does it as a sign of respect.

You have a lot of hate in that post.

I have no ill feelings towards another woman based upon how she leads her employment or romantic life. We are all different, and THAT's what was fought for.

The ability for us all to be different, and work where able our abilities can take us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM

249 posts, read 188,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, equality should be expected by all women. We should have the right to compete to the best of our abilities.

I am perfectly capable of pulling out my own chair and opening my own door, yet my husband does it as a sign of respect.

You have a lot of hate in that post.

I have no ill feelings towards another woman based upon how she leads her employment or romantic life. We are all different, and THAT's what was fought for.

The ability for us all to be different, and work where able our abilities can take us.

No hatred intended but I have no respect for hypocrites who expect equal treatment but treat men like slaves or gold mines.
I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 PM

454 posts, read 310,887 times
Who refers to "womens lib" anymore? Ron Burgundy, is that you?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post

No kidding... I got a sudden urge to burn my bra!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Oh my gosh! This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! That it must be the 70s all over again!

I swear I haven't heard that phrase since the sitcom One Day at a Time.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
So is the OP 60 years old, or does he just get all his life coaching from old sitcoms from the days of the Carter Administration?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post

You are basically saying I, as a woman, can not expect to have basic equal protection under the law and equal social opportunities, rights, responsibilities and obligations as a man unless I refuse to let any man do anything for me because I must do everything on my own, regardless, if I want to be treated as an equal human being.

I see so many times the confusion with the idea of liberation, equality and feminism. The concept is related to equal = the same, legal rights, i.e. to vote, equal pay, equal job opportunities, equal protection under the law, just like civil rights or civil equality, those things previously allowed only to white males. It also encompasses equal and fair social behaviors not specifically covered by legislature.
It does not however intend to change romantic behavior, tradition, manners or mutual respect. Wanting to fairly compete in the job market does not mean a woman doesn't want to feel special or important to her man, doesn't want to lean on him for the things he is better at while she does thing she is better equipped for. Is a man any less equal or liberated if he depends on a woman to cook and do laundry and scrub the toilet, wrap the presents, care for the baby, tie his tie and take care of things women usually do?

There are always going to be woman and men who take advantage of the opposite sex in one way or another, and women and men who allow it, even seem to enjoy it. Most couples pull their own weight and are happy to recognize and complement each others strengths and weaknesses/abilities/talents.

Why is being an equally respected and equally and fairly treated human dependent on behaving like a man and doing exactly everything a man does as well as what a woman does for women yet men are not expected to do exactly what women do and behave as women to expect to be treated equally under the law and given the same opportunities and social status?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,373 times
I find some women use women's libs only when it suits them.

No different than I find some men use equality only when it suits them. They are okey-dokey when it comes to double standards like the ****/stud standard yet whine about the injustice of not splitting the bill. They go on and on about how prenups are necessary against a wife yet whine about the discrimination of a gal treating a guy as a potential rapist. Somehow it is okay to plan for the end of their marriage and view their partner who they supposedly love as someone who will rip them off but a gal can't view a guy random or casual as a potential safety threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships