Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I still call that hitting on women.
Well, sometimes they initiate contact -- in fact, most of the time they do. So I guess that means they are hitting on me/engaging me in conversation.

Quote:
I am probably going to get attacked for saying this, but as a female I am kinda angry at other females for making it so taboo for guys to talk to you.
I think that is THE reason why men are so hesitant to chat up women. It is like navigating a minefield: "Most of the mines are inert. However, some are ert." -- From the movie, "Private Benjamin" Most women are safe but many men are terrified that they will hit on the one that is a feminazi, and get yelled at in public.

Quote:
Of course, guys need to have a more realistic idea of what they are capable of getting.
I recently watched a Netflix documentary called, "Love Me,", which was about men seeking Russian brides. There was this one guy who was enamored with a girl who, unfortunately, was not into him. So he starts over with a much younger, prettier one. However, this guy, in terms of age, looks and fitness was aiming way, WAY too high. Sadly, no one at the matchmaking service would correct his misconception of himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I personally am. I know that's not popular around here but it is odd to be pursued by a woman. No offense, but some women who pursue tend to be domineering bossy type.
That sounds like code lingo for "confident with high self-esteem". Does that bother you?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
If she engages with you , focusing on how easy the conversation flows is a good thing to concentrate on. If it comes easy, no loss for words and such, and humor comes easy, chances are , positive things can happen.
Exactly. Paradoxically, patience, and indifference to outcomes, can lead to accelerated sex. Few things are more gratifying than the, "How did that happen?" look on a woman's face after unexpected, deliciously satisfying sex which, only hours earlier, was not even a remote thought for either of us.

Generally, however, the positives are simply enjoying the simple pleasure of talking to them, sharing interests, etc.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post

I recently watched a Netflix documentary called, "Love Me,", which was about men seeking Russian brides. There was this one guy who was enamored with a girl who, unfortunately, was not into him. So he starts over with a much younger, prettier one. However, this guy, in terms of age, looks and fitness was aiming way, WAY too high. Sadly, no one at the matchmaking service would correct his misconception of himself.
Well, a lot of the guys who go to the matchmaking services like that probably have enough money to make up for their bad looks and older age. Men have a leg up in that realm. Ugly, older rich women, not so much (although I have seen it happen). A lot of unattractive men who have salaries over $80,000/yr begin to aim higher in the looks department. But it doesn't work on me. I have no interest in men who make more money than me. It really icks me out when older men approach me, thinking that I'll go for them just because they have more money. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not going to be rude to them. But it's still gross.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Well, a lot of the guys who go to the matchmaking services like that probably have enough money to make up for their bad looks and older age. Men have a leg up in that realm. Ugly, older rich women, not so much (although I have seen it happen). A lot of unattractive men who have salaries over $80,000/yr begin to aim higher in the looks department. But it doesn't work on me. I have no interest in men who make more money than me. It really icks me out when older men approach me, thinking that I'll go for them just because they have more money. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not going to be rude to them. But it's still gross.
To be honest, I think it is a myth that money compensates for a man's shortcomings. Sure, there are women who will settle for a man who will take care of her materially, but he has to know she does not truly want him. How long can he tolerate having his self respect destroyed by being with someone who, if he was less well-off, would not give him the time of day?

Nonetheless, most men who have money will assume you'll go for them for the simple reason that most women do. Years ago I was a consultant for a financial firm. There were some women in the Accounting department who I would basically say "Hi" to and that was that. Once I started submitting my invoices, and they saw what I was being paid, they suddenly shifted gears and made it clear that they wanted me. It is possible they felt that way all along, but money took away their inhibitions about expressing it. That really icked me out.

Age gaps are more easily bridged. I was in a 3-year relationship with a woman 22 years younger than me and I do find it disturbing that most of the women who flirt with me are so much younger. I was told that, in person, I give off a kind, caring vibe but I see that as something people are more likely to try to exploit, rather than appreciate. (Which perhaps explains why they always are oddly compelled to share their life stories and dump their emotional problems in my lap.)

Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
That sounds like code lingo for "confident with high self-esteem". Does that bother you?
Not at all. Does it bother that I don't prefer that type of woman? Oh wait? I don't care if it does.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 AM

645 posts, read 749,893 times
IT workers? more like creepy computer geeks.. lol following someone or standing too close is way to weird..its a big turn off when guys act thirsty and desperate...

Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
IT workers? more like creepy computer geeks.. lol following someone or standing too close is way to weird..its a big turn off when guys act thirsty and desperate...
The behavior described is borderline predatory. Lol, especially the folllwing a woman around part. Seems to me a good way to scare a lady, and get a snoot full of OC spray.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
I have hung out in neighborhoods with a lot of single men, especially IT workers, and I have picked up on a trend. These guys will typically follow you in Whole Foods, Target - where ever you are - and either stare at you (if they are brave) or just stand within close proximity to you, AND SAY NOTHING. They are hoping that you will initiate conversation or something.

Anyone else noticing this?

I can't see how this tactic is successful, because most women today still don't have the guts to hit on men.
That's kind of creepy, when you put it this way. I mean, I never minded it when women made the first move, but I never designed an actual strategy to make it happen.

My wife was the one who first approached me, although I was extremely interested in her - I was just hesitant because she was 20 years younger than I, and I didn't want to endanger our friendship by coming across as some sort of dirty old man. I wanted to be sure, and after a couple of months she got tired of waiting.

Then, after we'd been dating a few months, she was the one who informed me that we were going to be married. I liked the way that one turned out too, but again, I would have done it myself if she hadn't been so impatient.

However, all that said - I have a hard time getting my mind wrapped around guys who do it on purpose. Shoot, man, if you want something go out and get it.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
But you asked what to do about your gf 2 months ago when you were trying to finish your degree and paying only $400/month rent....working a crappy job
[b]March 28, 2016
jrt1979:
(senior member?)
"I think I might have been able to do it when I was younger, but I would crash and burn while working full time and taking 3 business classes at the same time these days. I know it's possible, as you do hear about people getting their masters this way, or you get those socially awkward kids with no social life that will power threw a difficult degree while working full time. I just think we hear a lot more about "working your way through college" a lot more than it really happens (particularly on the Internet).
If I worked and went to school full time this would be my life for a the next 16 months minus summer, which I'm only taking 1 class.
Wake up around 6 or 7 am
attend 3 classes with about 2 hours study time between, before or after said classes.
spend 8.5 hours dealing with angry people that my company ripped off, while trying to hit metrics that aren't possible, which are set by an and evil supervisor that takes cymbalta for her anxiety disorder and is also going through menopause.
spend about 3-4 hours staring at graphs and numbers.
it is now about 1 in the morning
Cry myself to sleep
repeat process until the weekend, where I can play catch up and study for quizzes the following week."
[/i]

So...2 months ago you were only able to go to college part time and whined about working full time. Today you own "like 30 Starbucks".
This is huge^

Also, How retarded would one have to be to not realize or understand this level of sarcasm? Nobody is laughing at you. They're feeling sorry for you.

You actually took the time to investigate this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I never hit on women; however, I'm extremely good looking and confident. Those are two things that will drive women wild.

The other day I went to a whole foods to by some New Zealand Lobster tails to feed my cat. While waiting in line a hard-bodied basic white chick standing in line asked me if I wanted to cut in front of her since I only had $100 worth of incredible lobster in my basket. I told her "no thanks" and then preceded to intensely stare at her big athletic bottom in yoga pants. There must have been some type of sexual tension in the air because the young woman who was probably half my age turned around and asked me if I wanted to join her for lunch at the Cheese Factory. I almost choked on my GMO free organic chewing gum before firmly telling her "no thanks" AGAIN while rolling my eyes. We sat there for a few more minutes while some idiot checker that couldn't figure out how to work the register bagged a bunch of frozen vegetables for some guy that looked like he didn't work out. Out of pure boredom I slipped a business card into the pocket of her North Face fleece. I new my iphone would be blowing up shortly once she realized how successful I was, and that I wasn't just another good looking tall guy with great hair.

Long story short, she was sitting in my hot tub later that evening begging me to let her spend the night............Well, what's to say. A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell, but you get the point.

Hitting on women is for the birds. A real man knows his worth.

Enjoy your cats and may god be with you LOL

Also, you have poor grammar. That part isn't a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships