Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM

458 posts, read 329,248 times

Advertisements

You were on his mind because of the show and he was feeling you out to see if you would respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Assuming the text wasn't meant for someone else I would say he was feeling you out as potential future backup, or was warming up to that.

Why is it always three months? I had the three-month check-in (or thereabouts) so many times and no, I never took the bait and yes, it always ended in the guy asking to meet up just once more, then pulling the moves. N to the O. You have two hands, EX-boyfriend. Hint: one of them is for the mouse.

I think they realize they can't get laid willy nilly in an orgy of freedom and joy like they thought they would by "being single again" so they come sniffing back around they last alleyway where they did get some.

I wouldn't walk on eggshells carrrrrrrefully matching his ha-ha, whaszup casualness if he approached randomly again about something UTTERLY, IRREDEEMABLY stupid. I'd ask, "Why are you contacting me?" Cuts right through the games because he assumed you'd play along and allow him to playact the standard formula - re-break the ice, start texting again...for like a week, meet up just as friends, mind you, he breaks down and cries admitting how much he missed you, you put out, he suddenly gets incredibly busy with work or something else you know he's not incredibly busy with, he still can't get laid out in the real world or else his new girlfriend dumps him, he re-breaks the ice with you except this time with little traps about how that sex was never planned plus you hadn't agreed to start over or anything, you meet up, just as friends, mind you...lather, rinse, repeat.

If he whined "But you agreed to be friends!" I'd say, "My actual friends check in to find out whether I'm dead or alive more than once a season. I don't value this type of friendship so I'm pulling out. Please move on and stop texting me."

Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
It almost sounds you two had a difference of opinion about something, and there was no compromise in either of your opinions. To him, it may have been a deal breaker, so he broke it off. Maybe he's throwing a little bait out there to see if maybe you've decided to compromise. Otherwise, I really can't see why he'd text you again, unless he just wants a booty call or something.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Wrong person got this text.

It's the response text that made him go, "oh crap! I sent that to my ex!!"

"Oh great! Now she will think I'm thinking of her or testing the water. Worse yet she might write a blog to have people tell her I still like her. I'm doomed! Stupid! Stupid!"

Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Wrong person got this text.

It's the response text that made him go, "oh crap! I sent that to my ex!!"

"Oh great! Now she will think I'm thinking of her or testing the water. Worse yet she might write a blog to have people tell her I still like her. I'm doomed! Stupid! Stupid!"
Sure. Possibly.

But it's far from unusual for an ex to come back testing the waters.

That's why as I said above, I would ask straight out, "why are you contacting me?" If the answer is "because my finger slipped...I meant to send that text to the new amazingly beautiful runway model I'm banging," well, then I'd know, and would not have to ask on an internet forum.

It also seems it would have been maybe one or two steps beyond easy for him to have texted her in response to her answer, "OMG, sorry, that text was for my bud, hope all is well, take care."

In my experience some exes DO come back to test the waters, especially if the mad get-laid skillz they imagined they'd suddenly developed after breaking up with the person fizzled like a wet Sparkler.

OP, if he does it again, just ask. That's allowed. Then you'll know. For now, just take it as one of those silly things and move on with your day.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
With the way he casually sent the second text I still think he was drunk or something...

He's not testing the waters as there is nothing sexual or flirty, I can't see he did it by mistake as its about the show that she liked therefore on his mind, so what else could it be?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Sure. Possibly.

But it's far from unusual for an ex to come back testing the waters.

That's why as I said above, I would ask straight out, "why are you contacting me?" If the answer is "because my finger slipped...I meant to send that text to the new amazingly beautiful runway model I'm banging," well, then I'd know, and would not have to ask on an internet forum.

It also seems it would have been maybe one or two steps beyond easy for him to have tested her in response to her answer, "OMG, sorry, that text was for my bud, hope all is well, take care."

In my experience some exes DO come back to test the waters, especially if the mad get-laid skillz they imagined they'd suddenly developed after breaking up with me fizzled like a wet Sparkler.
I have done that when I was texting more than one person at a time or in a hurry.

If he throws the first letter for her contact and pushes send thinking it was 'Ellen' but it sends to 'Ex.' It's possible. Then the response comes back from ex and he's like what? Then Ellen sends a text after a half hour, 'Hello? You still there?'

Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I have done that when I was texting more than one person at a time or in a hurry.

If he throws the first letter for her contact and pushes send thinking it was 'Ellen' but it sends to 'Ex.' It's possible. Then the response comes back from ex and he's like what? Then Ellen sends a text after a half hour, 'Hello? You still there?'
Right, yes, so have I.

Which is why I said: don't walk on eggshells, ask. Flat out.

If it's a mistake he can then say, "Oh! Because mistake."

And then the case will be closed. : D No internet forum questions necessary.

OTOH, just ignoring the text is another option.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 AM

20,761 posts, read 19,968,204 times
He had a weak, lonely moment.

If there wouldn't be the opportunity of texting, he most likely would not have contacted you in any other way. You were worth a text, but not a call.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 PM

284 posts, read 234,594 times
It doesn't really matter anyway, I was just looking to see what other people had experienced. No, I don't think it was meant for someone else, in the year of dating and the 3 months since, I've never gotten an oops from him, and I had recommended the show to him. I just thought it weird he text that but nothing else, it didn't lead to anything else. That was Saturday afternoon, haven't heard since.

For reference, he broke up with me out the blue, caught me totally off guard. His only reason being he didn't feel the way he thought he should feel when he thought about "taking it to the next level". He said he still wanted me in his life &'wanted to be friends, I made it clear that was not an option. You don't pull that crap and think you can be just friends after a year together & after talking about moving in together this sumemer! We weren't friends before, we met on a dating site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships