Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
What it shouldn't do is punish the person who wasn't at fault (i.e. spouse has affair and files for divorce, you pay alimony).

But it's "no fault".
Alimony is to help a non-self-sufficient person stay off welfare until he or she is employed or has an income. Taxpayers don't want to pay your ex welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
What it shouldn't do is punish the person who wasn't at fault (i.e. spouse has affair and files for divorce, you pay alimony).

But it's "no fault".
Alimony isn't about punishment. It's an attempt to divide marital assets fairly.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Nothing wrong with no fault divorce. It is a way to free up resources and expedite divorces. No need to have long drawn out trails. No need to airing of dirty laundry or showing fault.

If every divorce were required to go to trial it would add coats to both parties. All is which is unnecessary. If a trial is required because an agreement cannot be reached, that is fine.

No, it did not cheapen the whole notion of marriage. Divorce rates have been trending downwards since the early 90s. Alimony is not punishment. I tend to think it isn't as useful as it was 40 years ago. But it is still being used, fine.

The whole premise of this thread is ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Maybe this thread was started by a divorce lawyer.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
Don't presume to know what lies behind the closed marital bedroom door. There are many more reasons to get divorce other than cheating. And some of us chose to take a higher road than try and drag another person's life through the mud. People fall out of love. It happens. For many varied and personal NUNYA reasons. I was as surprised as anyone else. Actually as no one else who knew him was...

Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:

But it's "no fault".
Me thinks you have very little understanding of how alimony actually works these days.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I chose a no fault divorce because it was cheaper and I didn't want to drag our families through all that business.

But the truth is, he had an affair, and I had actionable evidence. So in my case, the absence of no-fault would only have meant that we would have spent more money on our divorce. Could he have argued that I was somehow incompetent as a wife? Maybe. I was the one asking for counseling and he refused. But infidelity would have trumped anything he could have thrown at me .

Plus, we split every thing 50/50, as directed by the court in a no fault divorce. If I had sued him for adultery, I could have gotten a lot more. So in that case no fault protected him.

And to be honest? Even if no fault divorce didn't exist, wouldn't people just split up anyway? This is the 21st century...

Too bad we lived in NY at the time, because I would have LOVED to have sued his lady friend for Alienation of Affection!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:50 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
I was absolutely prepared to file under Mental Cruelty and it was my lawyer who advised me to file as a No Fault divorce to make the whole process easier.

No Fault doesn't mean there was no fault involved.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 AM

641 posts, read 405,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Me thinks you have very little understanding of how alimony actually works these days.
Enlighten me then.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

But it's "no fault".
Alimony is pretty rare these days, rich and famous excluded. It was intended as a means to not leave a woman reduced to a life of poverty in the days when women did not/could not work and earn enough to support herself and children. Back in the day when few women got an education or had a career but married shortly out of school and devoted her life to being a housewife and mother. Today most women work and earn a comparable wage. So alimony isn't really an issue.
As well, although most go the no fault route one can file on fault charge. The reason many don't is because it can get very expensive and drawn out, you know as one must prove fault.

So if you marry and your wife cheats on you, you can file fault charges. Whether this voids any alimony, IDK, but if you marry your equal who shares in the financial responsibility of marriage and you share in the domestic/parenting responsibilities there shouldn't be an alimony issue anyway as there would not be a significant difference in earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships