Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:55 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times

Advertisements

in 2010 i joined a gym and got a free personal training session with it so i used it (i was 22 at the time). the trainer was a young nice guy. i saw him out at a bar a few days later so i texted him and then he came over to say hi and brought his friends over too. he pulled me aside and said "what do you think of my friend" and i said i thought he was cute so he introduced me and i spent the whole night talking to his friend. he asked for my number before i left. we did NOT hook up/make out that night too lol.

the next day he texted me to go to the gym and workout but i was too hungover so we scheduled it for the next day. the rest is history.

i knew right away that i wanted to date him because i felt SO comfortable with him. i just felt like myself and like i could totally be myself in front of him. i had been going on a few dates before i met him and i always felt SO awkward and uncomfortable and like i had to act a certain way... so this felt totally different. we've had a few hiccups but still together.

that's my story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
We met at a company party, our now exes worked for the company, we were both +1s. Of course, our exes were off mingling, and left us standing there. We hit it off right away. Conversation came easy, as did laughter. We pretty much spent the whole evening together, with our SOs checking in , briefly, here and there. We.became good friends, and stayed that way for 20 years, until our paths crossed (crashed, actually) 5 years ago, and found us both divorced. We must started spending time together, catching up, sharing things, thoroughly enjoying our time.

Then, one fine day, we were BBQing, and she threw an olive at me while I was working at the counter, prepping stuff. This as alated into a full blown food fight, had us laughing so hard our sides were splitting, as we quite trashed the kitchen. The end result was us, standing in the middle of this mess, in each others arms, sharing the most passionate and longing kiss I've ever experienced. She really put herself out there with me, knowing full well the damage my divorce had done, and rescued me.

I'll love her forever. I think I have since I met her. I knew she was special then, I really know how much now, and I'm the luckiest man on Earth.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,799,021 times
I met my second husband when I was 23 and he was 30. We worked together and he was after me for about 6 months to go out with him. We worked in a high end steakhouse, he was a cook and I was a waitress. A group of us would go out after work and shoot pool. He would come along and tried to get me to go out with him, but I wasn't interested. During that time, we became friends and he finally convinced me to come to his apartment for dinner. I went and realized that I had begun to feel more than friendship for him. A month or so later we were dating seriously and living together. We were married a year and half after that and have been married for 24 years this week.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:44 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
She was a truckstop waitress, I was a biker coming in at 1am for a meal. We flirted. We did that a few times, until I asked her out. 35 years ago.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,503,042 times
To answer your questions...
How did you get there? Where?!

Where did you meet your SO? We lived in the same ratty apartment building in southwest Montreal. I was living with someone else, and was pregnant, to boot. The guy I was with was turned into more of a POS every day, leaving all the time to go drinking, basically ignoring me. He'd tell me he was going to Kingston, Ontario for a weekend to visit his sister when in reality, he was going to his ex-girlfriend's place to visit with her and the daughter they had together. It was like something out of a soap, a sordid soap, the life I had back then. SO would come up to my apartment and we'd talk together while drinking horrible instant coffee. He initially knocked at our door because he'd ordered some books and never received them. He had a feeling that the ex stole them and sold them, which he may well have done. He knocked at our door so that I'd open it and he could scan our place quickly. These were one room apartments with a small bathroom in them.

Did you fall in love right away? No. We started off doing the old yenta coffee thing, talking about all sorts of things. We got to know each other and became friends over that spring and summer. This was in 1987.

How long did it take you to fall in love? I didn't have much time to fall in love, though I definitely had deep feelings for SO. First, I had to have my baby; she was born on August 3rd. POS BF wasn't around when I had to go to the hospital - we didn't have a car and I had to call an ambulance. I had the baby, no POS BF around until well after she'd been born. He showed up for about ten minutes to see me and then he took off to go to a seedy bar to get drunk.

Then I had to arrange to have her put up for adoption; the SO stood by my decision and was around for moral support, as the POS BF didn't want me to give her up, not that he had much say in the matter. You ought to have seen the drama! It was like something out of Knots Landing or All My Children, a very twisted soap opera. POS BF was sitting sobbing at SO's kitchen table in front of the social worker who was handling the adoption. I was crying as well, I was emotional about the adoption. Of course, the social worker was upset as well, near tears herself. SO hovered nearby and shook his head. "Aren't we a merry bunch?" he asked out loud to no one in particular while surverying the scenario that was unfurling in his own apartment! That's one of the things I love about him, by the way. He speaks his mind and doesn't hold back.

Is your SO what you always dreamt about? No, but that's only because I never had a perception of what a dream mate should actually be.

I admire many things about SO and don't often find the qualities I so like in him in others. He is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met in my life, far more intelligent in some ways than I am. POS BF was one of those showroom dummies. Good-looking, but thick. SO and I have the same sharp, sick, dark and twisted sense of humour. We both read the same sort of books, etc. We have a lot in common, but also have varying outside interests of our own.

SO is very tough as well, though once you get to know him and he likes you, he can be a real pussycat. He's very loyal as well, to those he cares for. That's very important to me.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
In search of myself, and of that special one o spend the rest of my life with, I'd like to learn from those who have succeeded in their relationships. How did you get there? where did you meet your SO? did you fall in love right away? How long did it take you to fall in love? Is your SO what you always dreamt about?
Met my wife at work the first day I began work for a new (to me) state department. It was not a propitious introduction. I found her rather exotic and she looked at me like one might look at a bug under a microscope. She was less than friendly. I was mildly challenged but being married wasted no time thinking about it.

Over the next five years we became work friends and nothing more, never seeing one another outside of work or even so much as having a cup of coffee together. Meanwhile my wife left me for another and my friend promoted to a new agency but as I periodically provided consultation to it on policy issues we continued to see one another and work together occasionally.

Two + years after my divorce I finally asked her out. We did, in fact, fall in love immediately and were married two months later. She was 48 and I was 50. Now, after almost 20 years, we're still going strong. My wife is not at all what I ever dreamed about but we fit and love one another.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
I met her at a party. She had a blind date, but I talked to her for an hour. It was as if a door had opened and all I had to do was walk through it. I wouldn't exactly call it love at first sight. It was more like I knew that this was the path I was supposed to take. Our first date was okay, but wasn't fireworks. Our second date was great, nothing more than a long conversation over a bucket of beer. After our third date, I knew I was going to be with her for life. After our fourth date, she knew she was going to marry me. That was twenty-five years ago.

Mind you, we didn't scorch the sheets early in our relationship. What we did mostly was talk to one another. More importantly, we listened to one another. We weren't trying to impress one another. To this day, we don't necessarily share tastes in books, music, movies, or lots of other things. But that didn't matter simply because we were so comfortable in our skins around each other. That's how I knew. It wasn't that we were infected with a red-hot burning passion for one another, although that was definitely there. Instead, we knew because it was so freaking relaxed in our conversations, our opinions, our everything. I think this sense of mutual trust enveloped us. And trust is the foundation for any relationship, at least the ones that last.

But there's one thing I'd like to point out. Had I sat down to write a list of qualities I was looking for in a woman before meeting MrsCPG, she wouldn't have fit any of the criteria (Aside from being smoking hot. But even then she was completely different than the women I had previously dated). Thank God I kept an open mind and trusted my instincts.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-29-2016 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 03:50 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
In search of myself, and of that special one o spend the rest of my life with, I'd like to learn from those who have succeeded in their relationships. How did you get there? where did you meet your SO? did you fall in love right away? How long did it take you to fall in love? Is your SO what you always dreamt about?
POF. Been together almost 7 years. Not sure there is anything I have ever "dreamt" about. But he's a good guy. He fell for me first but I was not long after.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,910,796 times
Quote:
We met on an internet forum like this almost 2 years ago. There seemed to be an instant attraction, we couldn't stop talking to each other (by messaging; eventually we went to google instant messaging). That's really rare for me, to want to talk to someone; most people I don't find too interesting. We finally met in person and it went real well much to both of our surprise; we figured what we had over the internet wouldn't translate in person.

It didn't take us long to fall in love with each other. There was the instant infatuation over the internet which we both thought was just that, infatuation. But when we met, we fell in love quickly too; I'd say a couple of days. He stayed at a hotel in my area for about a week and we were in love before he left to go back home (lived in different states).

I wouldn't say he's exactly what I dreamed about--there is the matter of an age difference which isn't what either of us were looking for. And the person in my dreams is perfect, of course--he's everything I want him to be and no flaws! Well, of course you aren't going to find that in real life. But I'd say he's close. To me it's amazing enough I found another person I'd like to be with since when my last long-term relationship ended I figured I'd be alone for the rest of my life since I'm real picky with who I would choose for a partner (I would say his physical features are almost exactly what I wanted though, which was/is a large part of my attraction to him).

Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Interesting cross section of stories here. Always interesting hearing about how life has dealt things out for other people. Some of its pretty...inspirational..stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships