Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:21 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekhmet View Post
OkCupid, 5 1/2 years ago.

I was in grad school working late nights because that's when the machines were free. I would search for people to talk to because it was quiet and boring during those times. I saw a profile pop up and I'd never seen, and after reading through it, I thought we'd at least have something to chat about, so I sent a message. We now laugh that InuYasha introduced us as that's what my first message was about.

He replied, and we spent the next few hours chatting. Got each other's messenger names and then chatted there every day for over a month. He was unemployed and I was a grad student and we were 75 miles away. Not really easy to meet up. But we liked talking, so we kept going with that.

The night of the lunar eclipse on the winter solstice came and he asked if I was going to go watch it. I replied that I didn't know how late I would be up, and I would prefer to do something like that with company, so I'm not staring at the sky, alone. He took that as a hint (it really wasn't one) and a few messages later, I'm off driving to a town roughly halfway between us to meet him at a Waffle House parking lot. At 2am.

I seriously broke every common sense rule of meeting someone online.

I had already told myself if this 6'6" hulk got out of the car, we'd be watching the moon in a well lit public area. But, this 5'9" lanky guy that matched his pictures got out, and I just felt ok about it all. He showed me his telescope (not a euphemism....he really has a 5 ft tall huge telescope) and we went off to find a place with better lighting. We watched the moon until clouds covered it, then went back to the Waffle House for a Coke and then parted ways around 3am. He held out his hand for a handshake. I went in for the hug.

Most awkward hug ever. I know now it's because he's just not one for physical contact unless he's really comfortable with someone. Then......I swore I'd screwed up.

But we continued to chat and eventually a weekend opened up where we could get together. He came to my place (his choice) and we played video games, and made it obvious that there was at least some mutual interest there. And things just went in from there.

We're getting married in 3 weeks. :-)

I definitely thought he was attractive when I first saw him in person, but it wasn't a "oh I wanna hit that" kind of way. More the way I think random people are attractive. I recognize they are attractive, but there's no emotional response or the like. Like recognizing a pretty picture. The emotional and romantic attraction happened after I got to know him and how he thought and how we interacted. Then it was definitely the "I wanna hit that".

Now? He's not just attractive. He's the sexiest thing I've ever laid eyes on. :-p

(As for him, he says his first impression of me was that I was the exact same person online as I was offline, which is rare as many people unconsciously have different personalities between the two. And he already was very interested in the online personality. To find the offline personality was exactly the same meant he was very interested in it, and then us.)
That's such a sweet story! I broke the rules of meeting people in person online too. My fiancé first met me at my house at around midnight on halloween (we met on an internet forum, not a dating site).

Best wishes for your wedding, and a happy future for the two of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Knew each other for maybe close to 20 years? I probably didn't first see her until she was in 6th grade and I was in 8th grade. Her sister and I were in the same grade and I liked her back in 7th grade, she kind of liked me too, but I did something to turn her off. Nothing ever happened between her sister and I, other than phone calls back when we were 13. My fiancee and I never really talked much for any of that time. I maintained a crush on her sister for years after this and into high school. But I do remember thinking at one point, ''You know, her sister is a hell of a lot more hotter than she is''. In 12th grade I had a class with my fiancee, she was in 10th grade. I had to take geometry with the 10th graders, because it was a 10th grade class and I had failed algebra like 2 years straight before this. I remember she let me borrow one of her pens, she doesn't really remember it though. Although she does vaguely remember me from that time, as I hung out in her neighborhood a lot in high school. We lived in different towns, but went to the same school. She was also in my algebra class when I was in 11th grade and she was in 9th.

I hadn't seen her for probably 10 years, until I went out on a lunch date (As friends only) with her sister when I came to town. We grew up in Jersey, but I had moved out to California in 2010 and eventually to Jacksonville Florida in 2013. So I saw her again in 2014 when visiting my family in Jersey and we immediately hit it off. I was invited to some party by her sister, but I was all by myself there and that's when my fiancee felt bad for me hanging out alone. So we took a walk and hit it off immediately. When we were reintroduced earlier that day after the lunch with her sister, there was immediately something there.

We had only spent a week together before making plans for her to move down here with me. So we just had a phone and facetime thing for about 8 weeks after I went back home, before I drove up there to move her down. That was in November of 2014 and I asked her to marry me a few nights before Christmas of 2015 and that's where we are. Couldn't be more happier. I purposely asked her a few nights before Christmas to marry me, because my birthday is on Christmas and I didn't want her feeling like she had to say yes on my birthday haha. I had anxiety that she would say no, but she said yes instantly. It's a little weird how fast it all went, but I've heard of crazier things than this. Like people moving in after meeting online from states away, and never once meeting in person before that. So it's not that weird, I suppose. Which is fine with me if people do that, I'm not judging. The attraction was instant, at least in 2014. Not sure about back in middle school and high school though. For me it was, but she barely knew I existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships