Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:05 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times

Advertisements

The worst thing ever would be for you to never be able to accept your handicap and flaws and embrace your own self worth "as is". You cannot rely on someone else's acceptance as the central core of your own self-importance -that has to come from within YOU. I know, I was born with a facial deformity (cleft lip) which used to bother me a LOT. I even got a referral at age 20 for plastic surgery to "fix" it more than the corrective surgery I had as an infant. The doctor told me that anything he did could cause more problems, and I was better off getting used to it - and he was right. It really isn't as noticeable to other people as it is to me anyway.

Self-worth derives from your inner values, beliefs, dreams, etc. While it is normal to want to share those things with a partner, your life will not be over if you don't. And nobody will think you are strange if you're single, since many people choose to be single these days anyway. Besides, even if you get married, what if a divorce occurs? Or you are widowed at a young age? I never thought I'd be widowed at age 57, but he got a cancer that took him even though his scans were clear for several years. Stuff happens, you know?

Plan your life for YOU. All of your posts sound do desperate and other-oriented. "If I only had a baby, a boyfriend, a husband, ... life would be perfect". I hate to tell you, Gab, it just doesn't work that way. Of course, I don't believe you'll "listen" to a word I've written either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
I just think it's weird and people pick up on it, I've had friends say that they are shocked that I have such little relationship experience especially with how desperate I am. I just think my only real emotional issue is not being with someone I know I would be in a better place to get help for the other stuff if I had someone. Literally I have a friend who has different guys all the time she's getting dinner with one tonight and another is paying for her trip to visit him later this week like why is that not me? Meanwhile I have to go cook my own dinner and pay for my own vacations and not hook up with anyone
This has to be a dude posting.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:02 PM

422 posts, read 574,678 times
Have you been honest with this guy, or is he under the impression you're 115lbs when you're really 190? Assuming you've been honest it should work out.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM

741 posts, read 478,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
Have you been honest with this guy, or is he under the impression you're 115lbs when you're really 190? Assuming you've been honest it should work out.
I'm honest with him we snap chat daily and he knows about my handicap and everything

Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 PM

813 posts, read 600,775 times
I hate to ask, but which branch of the service is he in? I was in the Navy, and I can honestly say that the 6-month deployments and time apart destroys probably 75% of the marriages (personal opinion based on 10 years of Navy life, I can't verify this...). Not sure but I believe the Army and Marines are also subject to deployments. If you can't handle this, I wouldn't even think of meeting him, just let him be a good friend on the web.

Good luck, Rg

Old 06-13-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I hate to ask, but which branch of the service is he in? I was in the Navy, and I can honestly say that the 6-month deployments and time apart destroys probably 75% of the marriages (personal opinion based on 10 years of Navy life, I can't verify this...). Not sure but I believe the Army and Marines are also subject to deployments. If you can't handle this, I wouldn't even think of meeting him, just let him be a good friend on the web.

Good luck, Rg
Thanks and he's Army

Old 06-13-2016, 03:02 PM

813 posts, read 600,775 times
Well, as an older guy, I can only say please be as safe as you possibly can and don't expect too much.

I hope it works out for you, Rg

Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
I would be in a better place to get help for the other stuff if I had someone. Literally I have a friend who has different guys all the time she's getting dinner with one tonight and another is paying for her trip to visit him later this week like why is that not me? Meanwhile I have to go cook my own dinner and pay for my own vacations and not hook up with anyone
Quote:
I understand, but at this point it's just embarrassing to not be in a relationship

From your posts, it looks like you idea of being in a relationship is finding a guy who would wine and dine you, buy gifts and trips etc...
In other words, you (desperately) want to be a gold digger, because you have a friend who does that, and this idea is very appealing to you...

Old 06-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
From your posts, it looks like you idea of being in a relationship is finding a guy who would wine and dine you, buy gifts and trips etc...
In other words, you (desperately) want to be a gold digger, because you have a friend who does that, and this idea is very appealing to you...
No I genuinely don't want that. I'm not going to lie I do get jealous of her she has guys buy her stuff all the time but it just feels wrong and I have had that a few times and they blatantly said after that they expect sex I just feel like it's too big of a price to pay. I genuinely want love and a husband and babies I don't need money

Old 06-13-2016, 06:06 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I just think it's weird and people pick up on it, I've had friends say that they are shocked that I have such little relationship experience especially with how desperate I am. I just think my only real emotional issue is not being with someone I know I would be in a better place to get help for the other stuff if I had someone. Literally I have a friend who has different guys all the time she's getting dinner with one tonight and another is paying for her trip to visit him later this week like why is that not me? Meanwhile I have to go cook my own dinner and pay for my own vacations and not hook up with anyone
This sounds so ridiculous. You cannot be 25 and be this silly and naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships