Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,185,671 times

Advertisements

Ordinarily, I'm a strong advocate for men having their toys... but you know a motorcycle hits too close to home for her...

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 PM

264 posts, read 182,133 times
OP, how about one of the Can-Am Spyders with the 3 wheels? They're considerably less risky, but you'll still get the feel. Might be worth seeing if there's a compromise to be had there.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,827,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.
Yeah. My brother bought himself one for his 60th birthday. He took lessons, and just wanted to be able to ride with his friends on the weekend. He died on impact 2 weeks later when a truck hit him. Nobody in my family will ever get my blessing to own one.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,044 times
I see what you all are saying. I guess I won't but it has always been something I have wanted so it will be hard to let go.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 PM

51,888 posts, read 52,267,434 times
I can appreciate her position. I used to ride a bike back when I was a kid. I love motorcycles, I'm kicking around the idea of getting one myself. Mrs chow hasnt said no but you really do have to think about others in your life. I know that I have had a few close calls on the bike,and it wasn't my fault it was the other drivers. They don't call them "donorcycles" for nothing.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:21 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,384,080 times
So because her brother died riding one means you will as well?

In that case, why buy a car since people die in cars every day? Why go on an airplane where there have been airplane crashes in the past?

Honestly, this probably won't be a popular opinion, but if you really want a motorcycle, go and buy one. You also mentioned about saving on gas payments, which is a huge perk as well.

I would simply tell her that you understand where she's coming from, but that you plan on buying one because it's been a dream of yours, and because you'll save on gas payments.

Also, this is why I'm an advocate of spouses having their own account along with a joint one.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,888,474 times
I have your solution.

1. Buy a cool bike.

2. Ride it for a couple hundred miles until it invariably scares the crap out of you.

3. Park it in your garage and when people ask if you ride, just say, "I used to, but not so much anymore".

4. Keep it in the garage because it looks SO COOL. Wash it in the driveway from time to time.

5. Buy a convertible sports car and never ride the bike again.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,239,993 times
My personal opinion is this is one of those sacrificial moment in a relationship, when one of two must sacrifice. This is just one track of your marriage - the motorcycle track. Thing is, with regards to just that track, your wife has already sacrificed with motorcycles. Motorcycles + her brother = a permanent hole in her heart. Maybe you need to sacrifice your desire for a motorcycle to appease the pain and fear your wife would feel if you owned one. She's already had enough pain with motorcycles, and it's partially her fear speaking to you.

Just my .02.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,975,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I have been riding since I was 8. I am a full grown adult now and still ride. I live in CA where splitting lanes is legal. This is the only state where it's legal. When I moved here I thought that was crazy but I got over that quickly and can't imagine not splitting lanes during rush hour traffic.
I was on the back of a bike, "splitting lanes"- I still think it's one of the most ridiculous laws (or lack thereof) on the books.

If I were trying to sell someone on riding a bike in CA, this would not be the first selling point I would use.

Oh, yeah, and speaking of being on the back of the bike. We drove about 700 miles over the course of several days, down from SF to Big Sur and San Simeon. It was great. Not two months afterward, he had a spill, which left him with a broken arm and his passenger without a spleen.

Like someone else said, it's not a question of if, but when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
My partner of 13 years also rides. He bought me my first adult motorcycle and we take road trips all over this beautiful state. This weekend we are heading up towards Eureka via Highway 1 (Pacific Highway). There is nothing more enjoyable then those types of adventurous road trips.
This is a good comment regarding compatibility.

Being with a compatible partner in regards to wants and desires makes all the difference in the world.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 PM

290 posts, read 213,397 times
if motorcycles mean a whole lot to you...then theres clearly a lack of compatibility here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships