Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm really trying to figure out ways to get more veggies in the diet in the big picture.
I feel this. Stir fry has been my go to, but I'm eating too much rice. Brown though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I bought a wok last summer. I like a good stir fry.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I came across a recipe I really like that I've been making a lot, and it's super easy. Brown some boneless skinless chicken (I use thighs, but breasts work, too) in a skillet with a lid. Dump a jar of salsa on top, bring to a simmer. Put a whole bag of shredded broccoli slaw on top, put on the lid and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Fish the chicken out and mix the slaw veggies in with the salsa. Sometimes I serve it with rice or potatoes, sometimes just the chicken and veggies.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:01 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
I just saw on America's Test Kitchen last night how a regular fry pan with a large bottom surface heating area works better than a wok. Because woks are deep, the heat from a flat surface (oin American kitchens) doesn't heat the sides as well, so only the small bottom area gets hot. Woks were actually made to set into a deep, hot area where even the sides would get hot.

It's easier to pick up the phone. LOL

Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
You guys came up with some good stuff. I'm gonna have to try some of them. You can tell who the mom's are here just by the way they whipped out these quick-ish comfort food style meals together for the family.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM

I never had "hamburger gravy" until MG came along. I haven't had it for a few months, so I might make it for my grandson this weekend. (I get to babysit! YAY!)

It's an easy comfort food, especially for winter.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I came across a recipe I really like that I've been making a lot, and it's super easy. Brown some boneless skinless chicken (I use thighs, but breasts work, too) in a skillet with a lid. Dump a jar of salsa on top, bring to a simmer. Put a whole bag of shredded broccoli slaw on top, put on the lid and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Fish the chicken out and mix the slaw veggies in with the salsa. Sometimes I serve it with rice or potatoes, sometimes just the chicken and veggies.
Sounds good, have to give that one a whack. I'm not really doing a low carb diet, but more of a trim off the "bad" carbs deal. I'd probably either back off of the potatoes or rice or just have a little bit of them for taste. This sounds like a tasty, quickie and healthy dish.

I read or hear about people and how they eat and they just don't have a clue about proper nutrition. I think a lot of vegetarians who mean well but don't understand how to get proper nutrition intake. Mrs. Chow's mom, LOL, nice lady, but just completely clueless about food.

You need balance of good carbs, fats and protein. So many people try to eliminate fat thinking that they're eating healthy. LOL, that has been the dieting motto for the last 30 plus years and it's not working for a lot of people. We need the good fats and occasionally eating some of the bad fats isn't the end of the world either. LOL

Old 09-23-2016, 03:25 PM

You mean "the good fats" like in Toll House cookies, right?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
You mean "the good fats" like in Toll House cookies, right?
Oh you and your food thoughts! I make mine with peanut butter substituted for half of the butter, a handful of oatmeal, Guittards Milk Chocolate Maxi Chips, and macadamia nuts. They're softer with peanut butter

But then I have to bring them to work or I'm eating them for 3 meals a day

Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I fainted at a concert last night. One second I was thinking "it's kinda stuffy in here" and the next thing I know I'm on the floor with people asking me if I'm okay. I guess I'm okay--I have a lump on my head and a nice feeling of embarrassment. D'oh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships