Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 05:08 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

3 police officers shot in Palm Springs. Jeez... what the hell is going on these days. 2 have died. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the one survivor.

Palm Springs is a sleepy little tourist town 2 hours out of the LA area. Not sure what the heck is going on yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
3 police officers shot in Palm Springs. Jeez... what the hell is going on these days. 2 have died. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the one survivor.

Palm Springs is a sleepy little tourist town 2 hours out of the LA area. Not sure what the heck is going on yet.
Ugh. Saw were three were shot. Didn't know the status.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Violence isn't the answer. It only makes people look more . . . violent.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:09 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
It's sad that these incidents are becoming so common that they're not as shocking as they should be.

On a lighter note, I should not have bought more than one apple cider doughnut. They were really good, though.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 AM

What will happen is no one will want to be an officer. Then, mayhem will prevail.

Who buys only one donut? LOL

Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's sad that these incidents are becoming so common that they're not as shocking as they should be.

On a lighter note, I should not have bought more than one apple cider doughnut. They were really good, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
What will happen is no one will want to be an officer. Then, mayhem will prevail.

Who buys only one donut? LOL
I agree with the quality police officers. Over in the POC forum they are discussing how one female policer officer was beaten darn near to death because she was reluctant to use her gun and use force for fear of media outcry.

IDK... I'm not taking a life threating beating, I'll blast a hole in someone before that happens.

Cops here only make about 55k a year I think it is, not much to risk your life, not much at all.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:25 PM

I have taken everything out of the rooms with carpet so that they can be cleaned this week. Then, I'll put the house up for sale, cuz it's finally sinking in that MG isn't coming back.
* SIGH *

Anyway, it is a beautiful autumn day here. The sun is shining, there is a gentle breeze, cool temps, colorful trees, and no one should spend it moping.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:51 PM

I've been missing quite a bit of the news lately. I just heard that the two cops were a mother of a 4-month-old and a man ready to retire. UGH!!

I'm baffled how a person can think killing someone will solve their problems. smh

Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 AM

I thought that the last question posed to them was good. It was a nice moment of levity and a break from the mud slinging.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree, I feel bad for those people. I especially feel bad because we're looking at 80 degrees here and nice and sunny.

I hope everyone is safe and all safety precautions are taken. I was watching CNN one time and they showed some storm watch and they went to some bar down in Florida and it showed people just getting hammered out of their gourds during "storm watch" LOL.... I guess some people say screw it and just go and get blitzed during these storms. LOL... Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me... LOL...
I lived in the Deep South from 78-93..and saw that attitude every time a hurricane came through. Just look at the effects of Katrina. Even the Powers that Be in N.O. didn't take it seriously, even though they had actually done hurricane damage studies on the levees;

https://www.nae.edu/Publications/Bri...neKatrina.aspx

and....

Hurricane Pam exercise[edit]
Hurricane Pam was a hypothetical hurricane used as a disaster scenario to drive planning for a 13-parish area in Southeastern Louisiana, including the city of New Orleans, in 2004.[8][9] Developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security, Emergency Preparedness, the National Weather Service, and Innovative Emergency Management, Inc., the mock hurricane scenario and its projected consequences were the focal point of an eight-day exercise held at the State Emergency Operations Center in Baton Rouge in July 2004. Hurricane Pam was a slow-moving Category 3 storm with sustained winds of 120 mph. It brought with it up to 20 inches (510 mm) of rain to some parts of southeastern Louisiana and caused levee-topping storm surge. The consequence assessment for Hurricane Pam indicated that more than one million people would be displaced and that 600,000 buildings would be damaged, with some completely destroyed. 60,000 people would be killed. The report on the simulation, TIME reported, warned that transportation would be a major problem in any storm situation paralleling the fictional "Hurricane Pam."[10]

Follow-on Hurricane Pam workshops were conducted in November/December 2004, July 2005, and August 2005.

The Hurricane Pam scenario and the level of attention that the federal government paid to it were discussed following the catastrophic effects of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans in November and December 2005.[11][12]

On January 25, 2005, the Louisiana Sea Grant forum discussed additional results of several simulations of strong hurricanes hitting New Orleans.

[above post on wikipedia]

FEMA's 'Pam' Simulation Foretold Katrina Disaster

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/20...cise-concludes

The state and local governments weren't prepared. Therefore, the residents living in those areas tend to become complacent in taking any future natural disasters like this seriously.

Anyhoo- body count is climbing post Mattthew. Hopefuly, not too high. We here in the Carolinas, South Carolina, didn't see too much effect of the hurricane. Most damage as Lowcountry-Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Islands to the south of Charleston. But those are low lying marshlands, and will be affected by storm surge every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships