Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on the job offer Chow!
Did you start yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
So I get a note from the mailman indicating that I have a certified letter ready for pickup. I go to the post office and walk in and there's a buzzer to press if no one is at the counter. So I give the bell a light quick tap and wait a little while. While I'm waiting a young kid probably 21 or so comes in with a big package to ship. He asks if I pressed the bell, I say yes. He waits about 20 seconds and then pressed the bell about 7 or 8 taps. Then at on point he lays down on it for a good second or so. I look over at him and say "thanks man, now I look like some kind of f'ing ahole."

He lets out some silly giggles and it just annoyed the hell out of me. So after he pressed it the lady yells back out I hear you in an annoyed tone. Then we end up waiting another almost five minutes or so and I'm sure its because of this dumb pinhead standing next to me.

Well she walks up to the counter and I say listen, "I wasn't the one leaning on the bell here, this guy did it." I point over to him. I wasn't going to take the blame and look like the jerk. LOL.

Plus a nice little zinger too is that that particular post office box isn't a full service, you just go there to pick up stuff you can't mail anything from there. So after pinhead pulled his stunt I didn't bother to point out the big ass sign in front of his face indicating no outbound packages or mail.

She begins to tell him no outbound mail and I then point the sign out to him. He then gets all pissy and on the way out about 15 feet away or he lets go a curse word or two, clearly aim at me I can only assume.

The nerve of some people. He's the jerk, yet I get the verbal abuse thrown at me, albeit in a wimpy fashion I might add.

On the job front I don't start til the second week of January which is nice as hell, got all the holidays off. Timing works out great.

Last edited by Chowhound; 12-08-2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Congrats, Chow!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:54 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

The nerve of some people. He's the jerk, yet I get the verbal abuse thrown at me, albeit in a wimpy fashion I might add.
I was recently reading something in Jungian psychology about the Group Shadow as part of the collective. It made for some interesting stuff that kind of fell in line with this, although NOT directly applicable to this situation. Your comment just reminded me of it.

People in general seem either unwilling or unable to accept blame for anything, anything at all. Blame or invectives (not mutually exclusive) need to be laid elsewhere in the same way total strangers inspire backstory in our minds. It's a rare person who can walk that line between "Crap, that was my fault, sorry," and "Whoa there, pal -- not laying it at my feet." Everybody THINKS they can (and do), but it really doesn't happen.

And the best examples come out as you described: in wimpy fashion, because they know they're wrong, but need to cast their demons off. Either the vituperation is muttered as they plod away, or loud, but they make a relatively quick "escape" (be all in-yo-face, but walk away angrily to effectively end this before you can counter).

Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I was recently reading something in Jungian psychology about the Group Shadow as part of the collective. It made for some interesting stuff that kind of fell in line with this, although NOT directly applicable to this situation. Your comment just reminded me of it.

People in general seem either unwilling or unable to accept blame for anything, anything at all. Blame or invectives (not mutually exclusive) need to be laid elsewhere in the same way total strangers inspire backstory in our minds. It's a rare person who can walk that line between "Crap, that was my fault, sorry," and "Whoa there, pal -- not laying it at my feet." Everybody THINKS they can (and do), but it really doesn't happen.

And the best examples come out as you described: in wimpy fashion, because they know they're wrong, but need to cast their demons off. Either the vituperation is muttered as they plod away, or loud, but they make a relatively quick "escape" (be all in-yo-face, but walk away angrily to effectively end this before you can counter).
I think that it takes a certain level of maturity for an individual to acknowledge that they did something wrong. In my experience, people oftentimes avoid blame because they don't want to be responsible to rectify their mess. This is the reason one of my LTRs ended - he was always battling against taking responsibility for something instead of putting all his efforts into working on a solution or remedy. The fact is, based on his childhood, the type of adult behavior I'm describing wasn't modeled for him. At his age, though, I'm not inclined to wait years for someone to see the light, so we went our ways.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think that it takes a certain level of maturity for an individual to acknowledge that they did something wrong. In my experience, people oftentimes avoid blame because they don't want to be responsible to rectify their mess. This is the reason one of my LTRs ended - he was always battling against taking responsibility for something instead of putting all his efforts into working on a solution or remedy. The fact is, based on his childhood, the type of adult behavior I'm describing wasn't modeled for him. At his age, though, I'm not inclined to wait years for someone to see the light, so we went our ways.
One of the things which both shames and prides me is, I've grown wise. It's a small source of pride only inasmuch as I'm glad I'm willing to try and learn, to improve when I see things going wrong.

It's a small shame because the only true path to wisdom, at least for a dolt like me, is to make the mistakes. Apparently, all of them. Every last one.

However, I am quite happy that I know how to utter the phrases "I don't know" and "I was wrong, and I'm sorry, so how can we fix this?"

Perhaps my greatest weakness is following a thought down a dark path. I've been taken there so often that it's almost automatically where my own feet want to go, and so they sometimes do. Perhaps my greatest strength when clawing my way back is the ability to eat crow with great sincerity for admiration of flavor, texture, and preparation technique.

Love doesn't mean never having to say you're sorry. It means saying it, meaning it, and learning from the mistake in order to avoid making that one again.

Definitely a hard trick if you've come to the party Infallible.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-24991127_10155941135734555_1035497213072554474_n.jpg  

Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I want Calico Critters for Christmas!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
All I want for Christmas is one day of eating anything I like with no consequences...is that too much to ask for? How about a pair of Christmas pjs?

Old 12-20-2017, 02:30 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Eating in pajamas!!
I made the melting snowmen, AND a big pan of fudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships