Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Anyone see any good movies recently?
Well, we finally watched the original Birdcage, La Cage aux Folles. Everyone always says it's so much better than the American version. Maybe I'm missing something. It was a little darker. It was good, though. But I still think the American version kills it with every scene.

We also watched the Netflix documentary mini-series The Staircase, which you've probably heard about. If you haven't seen it, watch it before you read the thread started on it. There are supposedly some odd details that are left out of the documentary.

What have you been watching?

Did you get a chance to reward yourself for your hard work at school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:45 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Anyone with a man bun should be locked up. Or at the very least given a $25 fine.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Anyone with a man bun should be locked up. Or at the very least given a $25 fine.
Around here we wouldn't have the resources.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
ComeCloser, the idea in the Matrix was that the people generated electrical energy, and so yes, were like batteries for the machine. And we do, there are all sorts of electrical impulses going through our brains all the time, but in all honesty I'm not sure that would be the most effective means to generate power, you know...seems like wind or solar even, would work better...but what do I know?

Oh! I know one cool thing. I saw a video recently that a Turkish company created these wind turbines that stand vertically in the median between the two sides of traffic on highways and generate power from the wind of the passing cars. That's pretty awesome. And I'm loving all of the pictures I'm seeing of vertical gardens and forests in cities.

I guess a big issue I have with religion is that it really is SO open to interpretation. They're saying now that scholars are finding misinterpretations from the original Greek of some of the documents that went into the Bible and some of them really change the meanings of things that people believe are laid down as Biblical fact, but I feel that those who WANT to believe a certain thing, it won't matter what the Book actually really said, now or ever, they just want their own position to be confirmed and will stick to that. Whatever feels "right" to a given person will become their own truth, from which they simply will not be swayed. Hence...faith. In all its myriad and messy permutations.

I've come to a point where I just don't really believe much in objective reality or objective truth. People fiercely believe whatever they want, and the only peace we can have is to "agree to disagree" in this world. So everything is subjective. Everyone lives in their own little reality-bubble build of stuff they've chosen to accept as true. Trying to force someone to adjust their bubble because your truth and theirs don't align, is nothing but futile and frustrating.

(This totally resonates with recent dealings with my ex, who keeps trying to "interrogate" me on various events and incidents because he has confabulated this whole reality where I was constantly cheating on him, even though I wasn't, but since I cannot "prove" I wasn't then he gets to believe I was, no matter what I say. So in the end, I can't control what he believes, all I can do is let go of it, and hope he doesn't decide to shoot me over his fictitious imaginings and righteous victimhood--which is why I often say that I just won't tolerate suspicion and paranoia in relationships. You can rarely prove in absolutes that you were innocent, if someone really wants to believe that you're not.)

Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
The shower has one of those adjustable heads. I have more hair on my face than on my head, and there's shampoo right there just waiting to be poured, so I usually spritz my face with water and lather up, especially in the summer when I guess my face sweats. That spritz can be a little uncomfortable at times because the spritzing from the shower head is uneven. I wish the water hitting my face with unexpected force was the only reason I know this, but I digress.

So Monday morning I noticed this soft little arc of water amidst the torrent. It lines up almost perfectly with my mustache. I luxuriated in the gentle flow Monday and didn't give it much more thought until Tuesday morning, when I found the genial stream again, pretty much by accident. This morning I went looking for it, and it's still there, placid as ever caressing my face like a spring rain.

I'm kind of joking, but then again not. This simple pleasure has been a revelation.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Justified (TV Series 2010–2015)
Almost done. It turns into a day-long event like Breaking Bad used to...really good.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:31 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:

On Amazon Prime Video saw Braven (free if your a member). It is action packed. Really enjoyed it...

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/braven

Old 06-27-2018, 06:18 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I still see men wearing them - man buns. Does Billy Ray Cyrus still sport a mullet?

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-27-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
ComeCloser, the idea in the Matrix was that the people generated electrical energy, and so yes, were like batteries for the machine. And we do, there are all sorts of electrical impulses going through our brains all the time, but in all honesty I'm not sure that would be the most effective means to generate power, you know...seems like wind or solar even, would work better...but what do I know?

Oh! I know one cool thing. I saw a video recently that a Turkish company created these wind turbines that stand vertically in the median between the two sides of traffic on highways and generate power from the wind of the passing cars. That's pretty awesome. And I'm loving all of the pictures I'm seeing of vertical gardens and forests in cities.

I guess a big issue I have with religion is that it really is SO open to interpretation. They're saying now that scholars are finding misinterpretations from the original Greek of some of the documents that went into the Bible and some of them really change the meanings of things that people believe are laid down as Biblical fact, but I feel that those who WANT to believe a certain thing, it won't matter what the Book actually really said, now or ever, they just want their own position to be confirmed and will stick to that. Whatever feels "right" to a given person will become their own truth, from which they simply will not be swayed. Hence...faith. In all its myriad and messy permutations.

I've come to a point where I just don't really believe much in objective reality or objective truth. People fiercely believe whatever they want, and the only peace we can have is to "agree to disagree" in this world. So everything is subjective. Everyone lives in their own little reality-bubble build of stuff they've chosen to accept as true. Trying to force someone to adjust their bubble because your truth and theirs don't align, is nothing but futile and frustrating.

(This totally resonates with recent dealings with my ex, who keeps trying to "interrogate" me on various events and incidents because he has confabulated this whole reality where I was constantly cheating on him, even though I wasn't, but since I cannot "prove" I wasn't then he gets to believe I was, no matter what I say. So in the end, I can't control what he believes, all I can do is let go of it, and hope he doesn't decide to shoot me over his fictitious imaginings and righteous victimhood--which is why I often say that I just won't tolerate suspicion and paranoia in relationships. You can rarely prove in absolutes that you were innocent, if someone really wants to believe that you're not.)
Ah, at the very least there are a trilogy of books comprising a creation story and early history of man - Old Testament/Torah, New Testament and the Quran. All cultures have creation stories whether they are written or passed along orally. In its simplest of forms the Judeo-Christian and even Muslim faiths boil down to 10 Commandments. Everything else is open to interpretation, and the practice of traditions and customs. Due to the order of the books, it is said a Jew can deny a Christian and a Muslim. A Christian cannot deny a Jew, but can deny a Muslim, and a Muslim can neither deny a Jew nor a Christian.

As for your ex, if he didn't love you he wouldn't give a rat's patoody. Let's ask you a question, if you don't care about him and what he thinks, what difference does his beliefs make?

However, if I recall correctly, you are into polyamore or whatever its called. Doesn't it make sense that a certain amount of suspicion, paranoia and even jealousy would naturally come with that territory? Wouldn't a certain amount of that need to be tolerated, until it passes?

It would seem to me that you invite a certain amount of that into you bedroom, once you invite guests into a relationship.

Im not judging, Im just asking...and saying, lol. If you love him, ask him if he can get over it. Like, for the sake of argument, let's say he's correct - can he get over it?

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-27-2018 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 09:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Wow, how 'bout them Yankees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships