Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Hi ya'll. I am new to the forum. Would someone please help me figure out what I am doing wrong? Sometimes when I "quote" a post, it does not translate into the "boxed" quotes; instead, it looks like just a bunch of words/sentences above my post. Also, I cannot seem to consistently bold or italicize or the like to emphasize in a quote what I am referencing. How do I include a note/message when I "rep" someone? Is there a CD 101 class or some tutorial?

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area, too. Mucho thank you to all of those who respond.

Rep remarks can be done by clicking the scale symbol on the top right part of the text box, instead of the add to reputation button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:34 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Hiya, self-made and welcome to the forum!

The code that creates the quote box, is, before the text you want to quote, the word,

surrounded by brackety things []

and after the text you wanted to quote,

/quote

also surrounded by brackety things []

When you click the "quote" button in somebody's post, it generates their words with that code into your post box automatically. One issue I've seen is where someone accidentally deletes one of the brackets or something, when they go to add their own words.

But you can create a quote box without even using the quote button by typing the code
Quote:
just like this.
Bold text is similarly coded with the brackets, only instead of quote and /quote, it uses b and /b, and italics is i and /i (any of which would have to be enclosed in the brackets to work.)

When writing a comment, you could most easily highlight with your mouse the text you wish to make bold, and then at the top of the white comment-text box there are buttons, you click the B button and it places the code there to make the text bold. The I button next to it is for italics, and the U is for underline.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Thank you timberline and Sonic. Your collective information is much appreciated. And, Sonic, thank you for the warm welcome.

Sonic, I will give a try at your instructions and see what I can do. I have tried the "B" and the "I" and the "" for their intended purposes but sometimes (usually) it does not work. I am 100% positive it's me that is the problem. I am certainly not deft at all things computer oriented.

Again, thank you both, very much.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Don't feel bad, self-made. I didn't know how to do the rep talk thing either until now. I've just been too scared to ask.

Thanks Timberline.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Thanks ComeCloser. I like to think it's a good thing learning something (many things) new everyday, cuz I do. Now that I know what I'm doing (not even close), let the games begin.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
If anyone needs questions answered about the forum, there is a FAQ section:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

If you scroll all the way down on the forum navigation page, there is a forum called 'About the Forum' and FAQ is a subforum there.

If you want to change your profile name, want to suggest a new forum, etc. they have all the answers there.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Oh thanks I've been really scared, too.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:57 PM

DontH8Me, thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Oh thanks I've been really scared, too.
Take a swig of my limoncello and stick by me - we will get through the scary parts of City Data together. There is strength in numbers.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Take a swig of my limoncello and stick by me - we will get through the scary parts of City Data together. There is strength in numbers.
I love Limoncello! My new favorite this summer is the lemon drop martini though.
Fill the Ninja with ice, chop it up to snow cone consistency. Put one ice cream scoop full into each of 3 martini glasses.
Then: 1 oz vodka + 1 oz triple Sec +1 oz simple syrup + 1 oz lemon juice
= 3 lemon drop martinis;
Good night 😺
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships