Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 01:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wanna just sell all our stuff, move out of state and find a cheapo home and go work at home depot or some other low end no brainer job.
There are days where a low stress job like that would be awesome. My current gig is lots easier than the previous. It is nice, I know what I need to do. I go out and get it done.

I'd be happiest in my own corner and do my thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:19 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
My ex works for the Fed Gov't. He used to tell me how bored he was at work. He told stories about how mgt had to send out emails to employees not to fall asleep where the general public could see them, because "it gives a bad image". He told me how one guy would sleep in the stall of the men's room. I guess he snored . . .

When I didn't feel well, but would go into work anyway, he would say, "just take a sick day, personal day or vacation day," as if I GOT those! He couldn't understand how I couldn't because I didn't.

I was always stressed, impossible deadlines, having to interface with many different people with no control over them yet still needed them to do things before I can do my work. It's hard to explain but that was a lot of my stress having to rely on other contractors and companies to have things in place and meanwhile the deadlines are looming. In my business I come in at the end of a projects and all of the other trades use up the time and we always have to try and still meet impossible deadlines. As far as I'm concerned if someone in the front of the chain is late the whole damn schedule should slide but it never does. I'm getting pissed off thinking about it. I better change the subject. LOL.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
I wanna just sell all our stuff, move out of state and find a cheapo home and go work at home depot or some other low end no brainer job.
I want to go work at Home Depot too! I tell my daughter Im moving out to the desert to find a cheap house and a Home Depot or Menards to work at! Ha! Maybe there are a lot of people who think that?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:40 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
88 or 89 when things were thawing out. In 1991 we had a deputy minister of agriculture from Russia visit the ranch. We explained how we each owned livestock and when sold the money was ours, the net at least. I was 13 at the time.

He was most impressed with the grocery stores and how well stocked they were.
That must have been an interesting experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If you haven't already, see if you can watch the movie Moscow on the Hudson. It's a great film with Robin Williams playing a USSR-era Russian who gets to see NY as a guest performer. You reminded me of the scene where he goes to a grocery store.

Another excellent film is The Lives of Others. It's about the Stasi, which was East Germany's KGB.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:41 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-homdepotkitty_n-1-.jpg  

Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
I want to go work at Home Depot too! I tell my daughter Im moving out to the desert to find a cheap house and a Home Depot or Menards to work at! Ha! Maybe there are a lot of people who think that?
I keep looking at real estate in New Mexico and used to also look in AZ but it's too damn hot there. I keep seeing how cheap the real estate is in other parts of the country. I too wanna live in the desert. NM would be a good choice because it doesn't get quite as stinking hot and they get four seasons and some snow. A little snow would be nice, as in it snows and in a day or two it's melted and gone.

For people that haven't been to Southern California it's a nice place to visit, but damn, it's a hard place to live. Yeah, we have probably the best weather in the country, as far as I'm concerned, but the cons to me far far outweigh the pro's. This is my opinion of course. There are heated debates in the LA forum about how great LA is versus other parts of the country. I feel that it really boils down to what kind of lifestyle you wanna live.

Here you got really expensive real estate, high taxes, bad schools, the worst traffic in the nation, a completely ineptly run state. This state is turning into a have and have not's. The middle class shrinking phenomenon is really evident here. The politics of this place is far far too left leaning for my tastes. I'm a middle of the road guy politically speaking and the far left loons have taken too strong of a hold here. The unbelievable crowding here would blow people's minds. You could start off in downtown LA and drive just about any direction for 90 miles and you'd still be in sprawl. Especially if you go east, not as much in the north direction but you get my point. Everywhere you go, crowds, everywhere you turn no open spaces. We do have a lot of fun stuff and activities here I'll say that much.

I posted a pic up thread of a view of open land from the deck off of the 2nd floor master bedroom of a house in New Mexico that is for sale and I see it and we could buy it outright with cash from the sale of our place. We got lucky and bought our place 17 yrs ago and paid a pittance for it comparing to the rise in property values. We really got lucky as hell truth be told. I couldn't afford my home right now if I were to buy it.

Sorry to rant, just needed the therapeutic vent.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:02 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
I was always stressed, impossible deadlines, having to interface with many different people with no control over them yet still needed them to do things before I can do my work. It's hard to explain but that was a lot of my stress having to rely on other contractors and companies to have things in place and meanwhile the deadlines are looming. In my business I come in at the end of a projects and all of the other trades use up the time and we always have to try and still meet impossible deadlines. As far as I'm concerned if someone in the front of the chain is late the whole damn schedule should slide but it never does. I'm getting pissed off thinking about it. I better change the subject. LOL.

I'm at work right now. I shouldn't be, but it's the only way I can catch up on what's been given to me. I'm still trying to find ways to work faster.

Yep, my priorities have changed. When MG got sick, I had all I could do to come in to work each day to move papers from one side of my desk to the other and babysit co-workers' emails. And now I'm at work when I don't need to be to keep my mind busy.

I should be doing something that has meaning and makes a difference.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I'm at work right now. I shouldn't be, but it's the only way I can catch up on what's been given to me. I'm still trying to find ways to work faster.

Yep, my priorities have changed. When MG got sick, I had all I could do to come in to work each day to move papers from one side of my desk to the other and babysit co-workers' emails. And now I'm at work when I don't need to be to keep my mind busy.

I should be doing something that has meaning and makes a difference.
I use work to escape too, there are worse ways to escape, and you're getting paid

Quote:
I keep looking at real estate in New Mexico and used to also look in AZ but it's too damn hot there. I keep seeing how cheap the real estate is in other parts of the country. I too wanna live in the desert. NM would be a good choice because it doesn't get quite as stinking hot and they get four seasons and some snow. A little snow would be nice, as in it snows and in a day or two it's melted and gone.
...Sorry to rant, just needed the therapeutic vent.
tl;dr!
ha, teasing.
I think about Santa Fe or NM in general. I like to paint, it's what I do when I'm not working. I want to see the Georgia O'Keeffe museum, I like the Native American influence, the whole southwest thing. I've lived in Las Vegas and Phoenix, but not at times when I'd be able to enjoy the desert and scenery for any length, I was in my 20s anyway, interested in other things.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
I use work to escape too, there are worse ways to escape, and you're getting paid

tl;dr!
ha, teasing.
I think about Santa Fe or NM in general. I like to paint, it's what I do when I'm not working. I want to see the Georgia O'Keeffe museum, I like the Native American influence, the whole southwest thing. I've lived in Las Vegas and Phoenix, but not at times when I'd be able to enjoy the desert and scenery for any length, I was in my 20s anyway, interested in other things.
Santa Fe would be on the must visit list. It's a little "hippy dippy" there though, but small doses of that is cool with me.

We went and looked at Vegas years ago to possibly relocate to. IDK, wasn't for me. It's too damn hot. Just like Phoenix. Phoenix to me was a let down too, we looked extensively there to relocate but it felt like LA with all of the urban sprawl only with much worse weather.

The southwest in general is where I wanna stay. Mrs. Chow is down with the native American thing. I am too. I've heard that the native population in NM is pretty high and that they are actually sorta rude to white people. I haven't seen it myself but I've seen more than a couple of threads about that in the NM forum. Who knows. We have to plan a trip out there to get a lay of the land, you can only do so much with google street view.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The southwest in general is where I wanna stay. Mrs. Chow is down with the native American thing. I am too. I've heard that the native population in NM is pretty high and that they are actually sorta rude to white people. I haven't seen it myself but I've seen more than a couple of threads about that in the NM forum. Who knows. We have to plan a trip out there to get a lay of the land, you can only do so much with google street view.
Mrs. Chow is a smart and funny lady.
There has been a history of whites being sorta rude to natives too ... There are a lot of Indian Reservations in MN. The more you travel, the more you see people are just pretty much the same everywhere though, but yes definitely visiting is on my to-do list as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships