Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times

Advertisements

If she asks, be honest. If she doesn't, let it go. Again, you are stating YOUR feelings and not pushing her to do anything. If she does, fine. If she doesn't, also fine.

The other poster is correct that sometimes there are non-obvious reasons for friendships, and that sometimes they are detrimental. Don't rush to judge why there is a friendship, but be open to the idea that there is some reason for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Sure, you are free to share your thoughts and feelings about this girl.

Is that all? You just want your GF to know your opinion?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 5,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure, you are free to share your thoughts and feelings about this girl.

Is that all? You just want your GF to know your opinion?
I don't see anything positive about this relationship so ideally I would like it to end. This is my opinion though and I can't force her to do anything.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
So your family members were lining up to make out with this random girl? Why not save some judgement for them?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkcharm View Post
I don't see anything positive about this relationship so ideally I would like it to end. This is my opinion though and I can't force her to do anything.
Again ... how long have you been dating, and how long has she known this friend?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 5,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Again ... how long have you been dating, and how long has she known this friend?
Dating 3 years, they are friends from college which ended a decade ago.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
This is a good point. My girlfriend does not seem similar to this girl and I have no reason not to trust her. My issue is should I be really vague when I say that, or specifically state why? My gf doesn't know about her sleeping with their other friends ex, and if I just say vaguely that I don't like her I think it will be dismissed as I don't know her that well. she also doesn't really know about her embarrassing me in front of my family. As I said before, I took the myob approach and I don't think I should hold back anymore when asked about why I don't like her friend.
Well look, if it's bothering you this much, just tell her, then. If you have a solid relationship you should be able to tell one another basically anything. You don't really need our permission to talk to your girlfriend. We're strangers. You and she are not. What you say to one another is between the two of you.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Yeah, you don't have a say in whether or not she chooses to remain friends, for sure.

Many, many people's partners/spouses/SOs have a friend or two (or maybe more) who they don't like. It's fair to say you prefer not to spend time around that person, but it's pretty controlling to say, "I don't see anything positive about your relationship with this person, and I'd like the friendship to end." You don't really get that kind of say.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Dating 3 years, they are friends from college which ended a decade ago.
If they are college friends and that relationship has remained intact for a decade following graduation (many college friendships do not, they peter out), then I'd assume that they know one another's behavior quite well. You aren't bringing anything enlightening to the table by "telling" on your girlfriend's friend, most likely, and she's already invested more time in this friendship than she has with you, so I really wouldn't press ending it, as it's not your place. The friend has done nothing to you or your girlfriend, so you really have no beef.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
This comment makes me curious and I don't want to jump to conclusions, but is it possible you're jealous of her relationship with this close friend and want to bring them apart?

I'm not saying this friend is a wonderful person or anything, it's just something about the way you put the above ^ that kind of made me wonder.

I mean surely you have friends that are idiots in one way or another...or many ways...are you willing to get rid of all of them? Personally I'd be thinking about my own motivations here...really deep down why I wanted my SO to get rid of a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships