Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM

914 posts, read 766,030 times

Advertisements

And Op, don't forget that women are not the only ones with SO's. I'm sure that there have been plenty of conversations where the guy had to bring up being in a relationship when it seemed like things were getting overly flirtatious. That wouldn't be an insult to her worth, or him flattering himself, it's simply a precaution and nothing more. If you ever have a spouse/SO who is in that position, I'm sure you wouldn't mind her being upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:46 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't even see "My boyfriend didn't vote for Bush" as necessarily a preemptive or proactive comment in the first place. Can't we mention the men in our lives in casual conversation?
(OP thinks that we're all lying though. Because he's ugly or something.)

In any case, I am not sure how he knows what these women are telling other men. He is trying to tell us that whenever this happens (which apparently, is constantly) he immediately rushes to discuss the encounter with nearby good looking men to see if she told THEM she had a boyfriend.

It really doesn't make much sense, but nothing about this thread does.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:55 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
I think the OP feels as though (key word feels) women preemptively reject him just in case he's interested. He believes that this is unnecessary because he's not flirting or showing interest. He believes that the lack of interest is based on how he looks, as other men in the same environment aren't told about boyfriends.

I think you make some jumps there, OP but I'm going to agree that there is some merit to your observation, but not your interpretation of it.. Pretty people getting interest and overall better treatment than not so pretty people happens, and while it's no fun to experience first hand, what are you gonna do. You don't have to compare the way you're treated to the way more attractive men are treated, and if you do you'll lose in that comparison. So that's kind of self inflicted, and that's really where this starts and ends.

If a woman is simply letting you down easy because she believes you're working toward hitting on her and she's not interested, is that the worst thing in the world? She may have misread you're intent, in which case she made a mistake. That's really OK, right? You don't have to see her as delusional about her attractiveness or super critical of yours. Let this one go.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:23 PM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Was there something we missed here in seeing the other person's side and trying to help? OP doesn't want to hear ANY of it. ALL he wants to hear is: 1. women are liars and are all entirely shallow, and no woman ever goes for a non-Hollywood-handsome man, period. 2. These women DEFINITELY WERE bringing up boyfriends for NO OTHER REASON than to make sure the OP doesn't ask them out. (Like we could possibly know that?) Sorry, how are any of us supposed to go, "Yes, you're right!" to that?

Yes, the thread could go back and forth forever, with the OP learning nothing, zip, and continuing to hate women...well, he'll probably do that latter anyway, thread or no thread.
This is why I know you have an agenda.

I do not hate women. I don't know where that was stated or implied, but I do not hate women.

I've explained like 50 times that when I was in my workplace, I did an informal survey to see who mentioned boyfriends to whom, etc.

You're practicing selective amnesia followed by delusions of trying to help.

All you've done to me in this entire thread is bark at me like some rabid animal to prove that men are problematic and that I've somehow done "something" to create the situation I've described.

Crap off.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think the OP feels as though (key word feels) women preemptively reject him just in case he's interested. He believes that this is unnecessary because he's not flirting or showing interest. He believes that the lack of interest is based on how he looks, as other men in the same environment aren't told about boyfriends.

I think you make some jumps there, OP but I'm going to agree that there is some merit to your observation, but not your interpretation of it.. Pretty people getting interest and overall better treatment than not so pretty people happens, and while it's no fun to experience first hand, what are you gonna do. You don't have to compare the way you're treated to the way more attractive men are treated, and if you do you'll lose in that comparison. So that's kind of self inflicted, and that's really where this starts and ends.

If a woman is simply letting you down easy because she believes you're working toward hitting on her and she's not interested, is that the worst thing in the world? She may have misread you're intent, in which case she made a mistake. That's really OK, right? You don't have to see her as delusional about her attractiveness or super critical of yours. Let this one go.
1) No, it's the worst thing in the world, it's just annoying.

2) I never said they were delusional, I just felt it is presumptuous and borderline insulting.

In any case, I see what kind of people populate this part of C-D. I have to say I'm terribly disappointed.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Well, op...

Thing is (and it's not your fault) that many (if not most) women aren't used to guys being nice to them if they don't want something.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I don't recall ever doing this when I was dating. It would seem rather misplaced in some of the examples given in this thread. When I've let a man down or displayed disinterest, I didn't employ the boyfriend/husband approach unless someone was legit trying to hit me up.

However, I can see how bringing up a partner can make sense to the individual sharing a story or experience, at least in certain contexts. I sometimes do this when talking about various things, but it's usually in a specific context, like referencing a certain situation or occurrence that is relevant to the narrative or point I'm expressing.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:42 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, op...

Thing is (and it's not your fault) that many (if not most) women aren't used to guys being nice to them if they don't want something.
This. I think many of us are just a bit jaded enough to be skeptical of a guy harmlessly chatting us up.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
This happened to me an hour ago. I asked the closest worker a question and she immediately stated that she was married but my question was where is the bathroom at? I wasn't even trying to hit on her. I think many women's (not all) ego is so blown up they think every man who asks her a question is hitting on her when in reality many men aren't.
This. That's our culture for you.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This. That's our culture for you.
And you need to look at other men to thank for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships