Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I often wonder if the "women are only interested in extremely good looking guys" posters are really the same guy posting under different names.

It seems like there wouldn't be that many people under this huge misconception.
I don't think so. Not to be cruel, but I think sometimes people who aren't very appealing to the opposite sex will grasp for some reason that makes the other person look bad. I.e. in this case, the idea is that all women are shallow, and on top of that, they use an airheaded, easy to see through, lying format (inserting the boyfriend in, according to the rather outrageous tales here, ways that are literally stupid and out of nowhere).

This makes the rejected person feel better, because now he can say, "This is all because of girls being bad...not because there's anything I need to work on as regards myself."

I've seen this many times from many different people, or variations on it. "Men never ask me out because all men want are blondes!" "Women always say no because no woman will go out with a man who makes less than $150K." "I can't get a date because I'm 30, and everyone knows NO man will ask out any woman who is older than her mid-20s, every guy wants a child bride/arm candy giggly college kid."

You can point out a bajillion examples to the contrary and they'll NEVER believe you, because letting go of their belief that everyone else is bad (and they're fine) is very important to them, and it's pretty much untenable to even think about considering any other option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM

641 posts, read 405,492 times
Something funny happened in work today which reminded me of this thread.

A guy in work (fair to say unattractive and i've never known him to date) was just sitting at his desk and about to walk to the canteen to make a drink. Out of politeness he said to the girl at the desk next to him while he's got his cup ready (she's a fairly new employee, agency worker) "Do you want a drink?". The girl replies "I've got a boyfriend".

Interestingly though the guy found this hilarious, really laughed it off and been telling the story to the point where it was the girl who was really embarrassed.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post

A guy in work (fair to say unattractive and i've never known him to date) was just sitting at his desk and about to walk to the canteen to make a drink. Out of politeness he said to the girl at the desk next to him while he's got his cup ready (she's a fairly new employee, agency worker) "Do you want a drink?". The girl replies "I've got a boyfriend".

Interestingly though the guy found this hilarious, really laughed it off and been telling the story to the point where it was the girl who was really embarrassed.
😂😂😂😂

I'd laugh it off as well mate and I'd counter with " LOL that's HIS problem not mine! ".......... That would cheer her up

Old 07-04-2016, 06:08 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Fellas, has this ever happened to you?
Yeah, those are preemptive rejections and I would constantly get them in my younger days. It's irritating but in fairness to younger attractive women they have to deal with a lot of unwanted attention so the 'boyfriend' non-sequiturs are a form of defense.

If it makes you feel any better the opposite is true of older single women because they are basically ignored.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Honestly, if some guy asked me if I wanted a drink I would think he was asking me out for drinks...what's all this about a canteen and a cup? She's new...did she even know there was a canteen? Did he say "I'm going to the canteen to fill up, can I refill your cup too" or anything else brief that would make sense rather than swinging over to this girl who knows nobody at the company yet, including him, to offer her "a drink"? Duh.

This rather sounds like a setup to me...I don't know, it all seems odd. Just comes off as weird and unclear to me...then again, I wasn't there.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:

If you're at a water fountain or anything like that I can't see how that line + where they are at indicates he's asking her out to drinks. He's literally asking her if she wants some water so he can get out of her way. There was no other underlying objective here. She's just being super defensive for no reason at all.

The guy did it right afterwards. Her defensiveness makes her look bad. Maybe she should lower her shield down while at work or until someone actually does ask her out and not just asking her if she wants a cup full of water. Oi.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:08 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If you're at a water fountain or anything like that I can't see how that line + where they are at indicates he's asking her out to drinks. He's literally asking her if she wants some water so he can get out of her way. There was no other underlying objective here. She's just being super defensive for no reason at all.

The guy did it right afterwards. Her defensiveness makes her look bad. Maybe she should lower her shield down while at work or until someone actually does ask her out and not just asking her if she wants a cup full of water. Oi.

But maybe she does have a reason. People rarely do anything "for no reason". Just because you or I do not know or understand the reason doesn't mean she doesn't have one. It could have been his tone or the way he was looking at her. We were not there, so we are just guessing.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:11 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
BTW, I was just visiting Los Angeles, and I saw mostly people who were average in looks. I also saw more luxury vehicles than I've ever seen before. A lot of average people in LA are driving beautiful cars!

Kind of made me envious. I am looking at my old car (that runs great) very critically since I returned home. It just wouldn't impress anyone in LA, I'm afraid.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

They weren't at a water fountain. He was "going to the canteen".

Nor does this poster say the guy even said that ("I'm going to the canteen" or "grab you a water while I'm at the canteen?" or whatever) . Unless there's more to the story, the guy just literally came up to the girl and asked her if she wanted a drink...full stop. Well duh.

She's brand new, doesn't know the ropes, doesn't know the guy (or anyone), is likely nervous as everyone pretty much is at a new job and this dude she just met asks her if she wants a drink...and she thinks he may be asking her out for a drink? ZOMG women are sooooo stoooopid and full of themselves, amright? Har har!

Yeah, real thigh-slapper, this story.

Last edited by JerZ; 07-04-2016 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
They weren't at a water fountain. He was "going to the canteen".

Nor does this poster say the guy even said that ("I'm going to the canteen" or "grab you a water while I'm at the canteen?" or whatever) . Unless there's more to the story, the guy just literally came up to the girl and asked her if she wanted a drink...full stop. Well duh.

She's brand new, doesn't know the ropes, doesn't know the guy (or anyone), is likely nervous as everyone pretty much is at a new job and this dude she just met asks her if she wants a drink...and she thinks he may be asking her out for a drink? ZOMG women are sooooo stoooopid and full of themselves, amright? Har har!

Yeah, real thigh-slapper, this story.
I misread what he wrote thinking they were both at the fountain. It's not quite a fountain but I pretty much understand what he's saying.

Even re-reading it she's still being really defensive for nothing, nervous or not.

Guy's got a cup in his and and he's going to walk out into the hall for some water and asks the new employee if she'd like a drink. That's still not him asking her out to the bar or anywhere. That's him offering her a glass of free water. I guess a guy shouldn't ever offer anything to a woman because she just believes he's offering her some D secretively.

I mean I've been in this guy's shoes. I know all too well about shooting a woman down because she believes that I'm trying to get into her pants or something because that's ALL guys wants from a woman.

I'm probably not making another post in this thread, but my or any other man's politeness to a woman does not mean that I want to know your damn bra size. Way too many women need to grow up and realize that not every man is making moves on you when they're talking to you. ticks me the hell off.

Last edited by Prince_Frog; 07-04-2016 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: don't wanna make the ole' mods mad at me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships