Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times

Advertisements

Is there are difference between marrying an enlisted versus an officer? If there is, I would surmise that it is pertinent to the discussion.

I've always heard that infidelity and divorce is higher among the enlisted... I don't know if it is true or not. However, it makes sense to me given that many of these fine men and women spend long periods of time away from family and often take the brunt of a lot of stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
There are tens of thousands of "military men" and like in any exceptionally large group of people there are going to be stellar human beings and complete tools and everything in between.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM

914 posts, read 765,471 times
Op, military men are NOT anymore marriageable than anybody else. When I was in, in ALOT of cases, the first commitment was to the unit, training missions, and whatever is going on during the training cycle. I'm not at all saying that military men are less marriageable than civilians, but it tends put a lot more stress on a marriage especially when a unit is preparing to deploy and even more so when the unit is actually in theater. Well, that was my experience anyway. This is especially true for enlisted personnel.

Last edited by TenorSax83; 06-23-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
Being in the military does not make them any different than anyone else.

It may look good on the outside but you have no idea what is going on, on the inside.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 PM

780 posts, read 678,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I live in a navy town and by most respects, military men are not "more marriageable" than other men. Most are just more willing to get married, particularly at younger ages, because it means they can then live off-base and earn more money. I had a few military guys who wanted to marry me, quickly, while I was in college and we were 19-20. They wanted the benefits of a wife more so than they wanted a wife, but I was also not the sort of girl to fall into that plan.

My husband is a veteran and we started dating with a year left in his contract. I think it helped him to get discipline and order in his life and helped him to pursue his education post-military... I just think that the military is like any other large group of people: some good, some bad, and hard to make any hasty generalizations over.
The bolded is quite true, at least from my husband's experience. He tells me about people he knows who met then got married right away, because it doubles their income. He even knows people who are plainly just best-friends and got married (same-sex) for the BAH. He "knows" because apparently those people are actually dating other people and are not lesbian/gay. My husband also gets more BAH money than his actual pay, so it definitely makes sense to just be married.

As for military men vs civilians, I know a number of amazing civilian men and I know for a fact that they treat their women/would be women like a queen.

OP, perhaps you need to change the scenery of the places you find your dates.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Plenty of dysfunction in military families.

I think they seem more stable because they are always told what to do. They are given a house (or allowance), they can lose there job for things like spousal abuse, etc.

They are literally the property of the US government.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default I would have to disagree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
From a woman's point of view, dating civilians has been a disaster. It seems like military men have more focus and a better sense of self, more adjusted a.nd focused. On the other hand civilians are all over the place with nothing to offer but a beer at their house. They have no motivation, past a gas station, and are selfish. It's like they gave up on life. They won't even get up to exercise.
I don't know I see it very differently. I personally would not want to be in a relationship with anyone who was in the military or a policer officer. I think both this lines of work make people more agreesive, bossy, controlling, too structured and robotic. I think if these are traits you value in someone that would make them more attractive to you. If someone only had beer in their fridge ... for me I would see that as an opportunity to put more stuff I like to have in the fridge or an indication that we are likely going to have a lot of dinner dates out . I would take that over going to someone's house and they have everything lined up and labelled or a fridge full of protein supplements.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
My husband is Navy, had been in for 12 years when we met.

"Stability" is subjective. Our lifestyle happens to be quite stable (has been a mix of shore duty and transferring from active duty to reserve duty in our years together). But prior to us meeting, his life was deployments and underways...all things that contribute to a decidedly UNSTABLE family life in many instances and are very hard on marriages and kids (my late uncle retired a Navy senior chief and burned through three marriages in his nearly three decades enlisted, most of which were spent at sea). It's also very common, particularly for enlisted, to marry quite young, which makes military marriages susceptible to all the challenges couples face when they wed early, before they're even solid on who they are and what they want out of life.

There are many standup people in the military. There are also many pieces of crap. Same is any other profession. We've known many military members who've had terrible marital problems, treat their partners poorly, etc. You might be looking at a "grass is greener" thing here, but don't make the mistake of assuming someone has it together in life simply because they're in the military. I've worked with military families, and there's plenty of dysfunction. Just as with any profession. Military is unique in that it can result in a transient lifestyle (doesn't, always), and in wartime, deployments are always a threat to family stability. But, mostly, day-to-day, it's a job with similar challenges as other jobs.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 06-23-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 01:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I don't know I see it very differently. I personally would not want to be in a relationship with anyone who was in the military or a policer officer. I think both this lines of work make people more agreesive, bossy, controlling, too structured and robotic.
Also a massive stereotype, no less so than the ones feeding the OP's original conceit.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:52 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
From a woman's point of view, dating civilians has been a disaster. It seems like military men have more focus and a better sense of self, more adjusted a.nd focused. On the other hand civilians are all over the place with nothing to offer but a beer at their house. They have no motivation, past a gas station, and are selfish. It's like they gave up on life. They won't even get up to exercise.
And your definitive proof is....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships